“Excellent holiday spent at St Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Adu Dhabi”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent holiday spent at St Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Adu Dhabi”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I spent a great holiday at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, on arrival at the hotel whilst waiting to check in we were given a cool towel and a refreshing drink, check in was very efficient, Rooms are very spacious, the setting for this hotel is great Adult pool was great with water sun beds. Played golf at the resort which was excellent, staff at the course were very friendly as were all of the staff at the hotel. Breakfast Buffet was very good as was the Evening Buffet. I would highly recommend this hotel. We enjoyed ourselves so much we are hoping to visit again next year

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brian j
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Brian,

Thank you for recommending us highly on Trip Advisor. We are excited to read about your excellent holiday spent at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and look forward to welcoming you again for your holiday next year.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I went to The Drawing Room at St. Regis Saadiyat for afternoon tea. We made a reservation ahead of time and were given a nice spot looking out the window at the ocean. We each ordered an afternoon tea tray but we probably could have shared because it was too much food for me. My husband ate all of his food but he was definitely very full by the end. The food was very good and it was a nice atmosphere. The staff were helpful and attentive. We enjoyed trying their own special Arabian blend tea and Spa blend tea, although we liked the Arabian blend better. A nice afternoon treat!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cece1424,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. I am glad to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy the signature St. Regis Tea ritual, enhanced by our bespoke tea blends. We look forward to your return for another memorable and bespoke experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've stayed twice at this resort (first time in Feb 2013, and this past weekend, early Oct 2013) for a total of about 10 days. I tagged along on the back of my spouse's business trip the first time around, and the 2nd time we stayed on our own for some R&R before moving to the Rosewood at Sawwah Square, where my spouse had a couple days of business meetings. I had a really great time and would definitely go again! It was friendly, relaxing and just a beautiful, laid-back place to be. The Resort is expensive, as expected, so I won't go into that. It looks expensive and it is. But if you have the money, then it is worth it. The Hotel/Resort is good for both business and pleasure.

The resort's architecture & decor feels palatial & luxurious, but at the same time the staff is friendly and un-stuffy, so you will feel right at home even if you have a brood of children running around.
ROOMS - The rooms are comfortable and stylish, in particular the bathroom is pretty amazing with it's centralized walk-in shower. Hopefully one day when I build my own house, I will copy the design of this bathroom because it is really fantastic. I believe all the rooms have balconies or terraces either looking out to the beach/pool area or the grand entrance which is nice.
Pool area & beach - is nice and varied, with all the pool amenities available with ease (towels, drinks, life jackets for the kids, etc) and I did not feel uncomfortable here in a bathing suite (as you do in some Mid East countries.) Beach is really lovely, with white sand beaches (the sand is rumoured to have been imported from the Maldives!) The hotel has a putting green right next to the beach (which I didn't use but my husband seemed to appreciate).
KIDS CLUB & BABYSITTING - We also used the kids club and babysitting service. The kids club is very nice with activities for all ages even preteens, and even has it's own kids' pool. Kids under 3 have to be accompanied by an adult, but we were able to hire a babysitter from the club to look after our daughter at the club while I went to have my spa treatment. We also used the babysitters on various occasions while we went out for dinner. They come up to your room to babysit, and they were always very professional and friendly. Babysitting costs western rates, at 50 ph, and 75 ph after 11pm.
FOOD/RESTAURANTS - The breakfast buffet is extensive. I really had to be careful not to overeat! The serve continental/european (cold-cuts, fruit, pastries, etc.), American (omelettes, pancakes), British (eggs/fry-up), Middle East, Indian & healthy breakfast options. The food was all quite good, and the service friendly and helpful with a baby. They have a number of options for eating out at the hotel, so you don't even have to leave. We tried all the restaurants, 55&5th, Turquoiz, & Sontaya plus some of the bars. They're pricey, but all very nice with very good food. My favourite was Sontaya, which is Asian fusion - the fried crab salad & lobster dishes were truly amazing!

The 2 areas I noted which could use improvement are the Spa & overall hotel Service. Not hugely negative feedback, but since this place is almost paradise, might as well aspire for a perfect score, so the next time I visit it's 100% perfect instead of 85-90% perfect.

SPA/FITNESS - is pretty good (not huge, but adequate) it wasn't super busy when I used it back in Feb, but I can imagine that it can get busy very easily as it is small (small jacuzzi, 1 steam room, 1 sauna plus 2 showers.) I had a very good & relaxing thai massage with a very professional/experienced therapist from China, but you really do have to book ahead of time (like before you get to the resort) if you want a convenient time. I wanted another spa treatment, but was unable to get an available spot. They also (back in Feb) didn't offer smaller beauty treatments like mani/pedis. I had to go over to the Hyatt for one. I know that back in Feb they were in the process of expanding the spa services, but I didn't have time to check it out on my 2nd visit in Oct so can't comment on any improvements since. This leads me to believe that given the size of the resort, they really need to expand the spa facilities & treatments to meet customer demand... and just make going to the spa as painless & easy as possible for guests. The gym is also in a small room totally disconnected from the spa. If they want guests to truly relax at this resort, they need to work on improving these areas so that guests feel they have the option to do more than just sit by the pool, and business travelers can also have a better experience if they just want hit the gym before or after meetings, or need to get an emergency haircut, etc.
HOTEL SERVICE - itself is pretty good (but not perfect!) We got several days of excellent service, but then we'd get one day of not so good service, then it would be excellent again. SO overall, I would say it is inconsistent. 1) I felt like we had too many butlers. I know shifts change but I really dont see the point of a butler if you dont feel like you have 1-2 dedicated people during your stay who get to know your needs and can suggest things. So perhaps the way they rotate the butlers needs to be improved. When a new butler takes over, they also need to communicate the tastes/needs of the guests they will be looking after (dont leave it to your guests to re-educate each new butler, what a pain!) The butlers introduce themselves right away and offer you tea, then they disappear for most of your stay, unless you have an issue that the reception/housekeeping/room service cant deal with. They need to better communicate the other services they offer bcs I really have no idea what they are for otherwise. (I also recently stayed at the new Rosewood Abu Dhabi, and the butler there unpacked us as soon as we arrived, and would not let us tip him! I then had the afternoon free to read while my baby had a nap bcs I was all unpacked.) That's what I mean, offer your services! I would also call the Butler line, and it seemed like after ringing for ages, reception would pick up or concierge, so it was all very confusing. 2) The other area where we experienced poor service was in room service. I dont remember all the details from our first visit in Feb but we definitely had some issues with them back in Feb. This past weekend we ordered room service on the day we were checking out. We arranged for a late check-out so we could get some pool time, but since we have a baby, we came back to the room to eat. We ordered the food, but made it very clear we needed to have it by 2pm because my husband needed to leave for a meeting at 2:30, and I had to checkout by 3pm with a baby. We asked them to please let us know right away if they couldn't have our food to us by 2pm, and to advise us what they could prepare quickly. If not, we would need time to make other arrangements. 20 minutes later it is 2 o'clock and we don't have our food. We get a call at 2:05 telling us that they cannot prepare what we ordered quickly, can we order something else. When we finally get the food, my husband has 2 minutes to eat it (he was already running late to his meeting!), and the guy delivering it doesn't even bother to open the table, or ask us if we want him to open the bottle of beer or put out any of the food. He just walks off. I had to chase him down the hall for the bottle opener! 3) We also had a bad encounter with the front desk/reception. We had left behind a phone charger in our room, and also the check-out attendant forgot to give back our credit card after we checked out. So we had to go back for it (luckily we had just moved over to the Rosewood, and not left back home yet!) I called ahead to let them know we were coming for the items. My husband arrived later to pick them up, and instead of having them waiting at the desk or at least rushing to get them, they took 20 minutes to get them, even though my husband told them he had a taxi waiting and needed to get to a work dinner. He was so furious, he forgot to check if they brought him the phone charger (which they didn't) so I had to go back for it because I thought he might punch the guy at the front desk! Anyway, on our first stay in Feb, a few little things like this happened too with the service, but I don't remember exactly what anymore. I won't go into any more details, just these examples. My point is, this is an almost perfect hotel... and the service isn't bad, but it is definitely inconsistent. I would still stay here again, and still consider the hotel one of my favorites, but for them to truly be top notch, the management really needs to ensure they are on top of the service, and that the employees are aware, that it's not just about luxurious surroundings, but also the service which makes a hotel/resort and the experience of staying there truly great.

Room Tip: If you want a seaside room, make sure you ask for it ahead of time (you may have to upgrade)! They a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CBAM
Dear CBAM,

Thank you for return and sharing your detailed review with us. I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to explore our resort extensively and had a great experience at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. Your comments will be passed on the concerned team. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

If you are thinking of booking this hotel, then I recommend it without hesitation.

The welcome was efficient and unfussy. The service has been wonderful throughout our stay.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well designed.

Breakfast is worth a mention, an incredible choice of recipes and flavours from around the world.

Being outside the city is a bonus as you can relax on the beach with its turquoise waters, without the hustle and bustle.

No doubt there may be better spas in Abu Dhabi (and it only only be used if you book a treatment) - however we enjoyed the rituals and the therapists are well trained.

All round a great experience and we will be back (with our 3 children next time).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation and kind words of appreciation. It was our pleasure to be able to deliver to you a memorable experience. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I currently live in Dubai and decided to spend a long weekend in the St. Regis Resort. I have to say that this was one of the best weekend stays we have ever had!!
The hotel itself is a beautiful property located on the shoreline of Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. Our room was upgraded and we were checked in two hours early having requested an early check in. Out view out over the Arabian Gulf was amazing!
The hotel itself is beautiful. Our room was perfect and the service was impeccable. One of the things we really liked as a couple was the fact that there was an audiotape pool area where we could relax without any loud kids (the main pool was huge and there was even a special kids area).
The Restaurants were excellent - we ate in the Asian Restaurant on the first night which was perfect. We dined in the fish restaurant, Turquoise, on the second night which was good but some of the items on the menu were not available.
Overall a great hotel and what you would expect of a St. Regis. We will be back in the near future!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Will,

Thank you for choosing to spend the weekend with your wife at our resort. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities to the fullest and we eagerly look forward to your return for another memorable getaway.

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for one night and loved it. We were tempted to stay a second night. The hotel is beautiful with high quality rooms and fab pool areas. The beach was lovely. The only negative was the buffet dinner and breakfast. For a 5 star it did not meet my expectations. Have had better in lower grade hotels elsewhere. We found the staff in the hotel helpful and very pleasant. We were given a late check out due to a 10 minute delay on check in. That meant we could enjoy the facilities for longer than we expected which was definitely a bonus. Would love to go back

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pandclaire
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to maximum your time with us and truly enjoyed the experience. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stay 8 nights there and I was amazing. Staff was friendly and helpfull. from 55 countries around the world.
Room and buttler servis perfect.
Beach nice and water so warm.Pool very nice with appropriate staff. Location is out of city but hotel shuttle bus is helpfull for visiting Marina Mall and also Ferrari World.
We have halfboard and it was enough. Dishes were so tasty and very wide range of starters, main and also very delicious deserts,
Overall comment - It is really 5 stars hotel will all you need on your vacation.
Come back.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henri888
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Henri,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted to read that our team provided you with bespoke service throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again for another indelible experience.