“What a disappointment, save your money and go somewhere else....”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai, UAE
“What a disappointment, save your money and go somewhere else....”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Oh my goodness where do I start. We have just returned from the worst hotel experience we have had in many, many years. Here is a brief overview of our stay at the St Regis Saadiyat Island.

1. Check in. We arrived earlier than the designated check in time and were pleased to find that our rooms were ready. However it all went downhill rapidly. Our children as they are over 12 had to have a room of their own. We mistakenly didn't realise that they needed their passports or Emirates ID. The VERY officious check in clerk informed us that the hotel classes any child over 6 years as an adult and they have to provide their ID. He said on this occasion he would make an exception for us and let us check in, although he said he hoped CID did not come and check up on us! The first experience of the hotel was a very robotic experience making us feel as if everyone was doing us a huge favour in allowing us to even walk into the hotel.

2: Access to the adult pool. After passing security guards and having to repeatedly give room numbers we were told we were not allowed in the pool as our children were under 16. I explained that according to the hotel anyone over 12 is classed as an adult and made to pay full adult price for their own room. Also that the check in clerk insisted that anyone over 6 in the hotel is classed as a adult. So within an hour we were given 6,12 and 16 to be classed as adults. Somewhat confusing? I asked why the age of 16? We all know the answer that the adult pool should be a quiet, relaxing area without screaming children. A thing we particularly like as well. No one would actually say this, but gave ridiculous excuses such as it is the depth of the pool and a health and safety requirement. The depth of the pool in the adult area is 1.3m and in the family pool it is 1.2 m, hardly a huge difference. Plus there were so many adults in there incapable of swimming, perhaps based on this excuse Saaidiyat you should insist on some sort of swimming test for all your guests.

3. We ordered food in this area. Oh my goodness. 3 supposed club sandwiches arrived as ordered and were burnt to a crisp. The bread was black. A great mind trick was played at this point, you would think the charcoal like bread to be extremely hot and great caution should be taken when touching it. Wrong! It was cold to the point of refrigeration. The fatty bacon and slab of ice cold chicken within the bed of charcoal came with chips that had obviously been cooked within the previous 20 minutes or so as they were Luke warm. After asking for the manager, she agreed that they were unacceptable. After the normal token apologies she continued to offer many alcoholic alternatives, from cocktails to a bottle of wine at dinner. No, we didn't want anything free just the meal we ordered to be hot and edible in the first place. In fairness she did then take the meals off the bill.

4: I ordered a latte later and although it was a lovely coffee I was rather surprised to find it served in a tea pot accompanied by a rather dirty cup.

5: Breakfast. Oh dear! The coffee, cold. The scrambled eggs, a slimy uncooked mess. We queued for a table, waited for the said table to be cleared repeatedly.

6: family pool area. After ordering simple soft drinks and waiting 35 minutes for them to arrive, my husband asked where they were. It turns out they were forgotten! The manager again came over and was very sweet and again offered free drinks.

The rooms are lovely and bathrooms are of a wonderful design. One small point is that there is no dressing table or anywhere you can sit in front of a mirror to do hair or makeup.

The pool area other than the service is a lovely space with again great design features.

The hotel seems to have real staff issues, everyone with the exception of 1 lady is so miserable. The staff are badly trained and all look so, so unhappy.

We are so privileged to have wonderful hotels in the UAE offering wonderful staff, service and experiences. This is certainly not one of them. It is overpriced and most definitely offers no value for money or feel good factor. As far as the 'Butler' goes, it is a person on the end of the phone... Nothing more.

To the manager, please do not offer more apologies, we have listened to them all weekend. We didn't want any apologies just a lovely relaxed break in which to celebrate my husbands birthday. It was a shambles and a ruined birthday experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank its2hot
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is a pity that we didn’t manage to meet your expectations and for this, I am sorry as this is certainly not the level of service we aim to deliver to our guests. It is indeed a policy UAE on children over 12 requiring identification for a second room confirmation. And age 16 and above is also a stipulated age for ‘adult access to adult pool and spa’ The family pool has no age criteria. I do apologize if the teams could not clearly articulate this for you.

Should you wish to discuss further, I will be happy to meet with you during your next time in Abu Dhabi. In the interim, I remain at your disposal and can be contacted on stregis.saaditay@stregis.com.

Hotel Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a hotel as impressive as the St. Regis. I had expected it to be top rate, based on reviews but it completely exceeded my expectations. The hotel itself is grand, impressive, luxurious and sumptuous, to say the least. It is situated on a small island, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and was the perfect location to relax, unwind and completely switch off from the stresses of everyday life. The customer service is extraordinary and I have never had the pleasure of being treated so politely and courteously, anywhere else I've stayed. The food from the Olea restaurant was fantastic and the room facilities were luxurious. I plan to return some time, in the not too distant future, with other family members, as I feel they're missing out, if they don't get to experience what I did. It definitely was my week of heaven on earth............

Room Tip: Stayed in a superior room but it didn't have a sea view. However, this didn't matter as we...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CHRISTINE K
Dear Christine,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to read we exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return with your family.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have just returned from a week staying at the St Regis Hotel Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi. As soon as we walked through the doors we experienced high class treatment - the staff, the food, the room(with sea view) was excellent. The hotel had a calm relaxed feel and nothing was too much trouble. You really feel you are staying in luxury.

We will definitely stay here again, very soon if I can help it :-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your wonderful review and sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you again for another wonderful stay.

New York, NY
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the moment you park in front of this location the staff is there waiting to tend to your every need. This has got to be the most outstanding customer service oriented hotel I have ever stayed in. Rooms were large and so clean, huge bathroom with large shower and deep bath along with it. The butler service was great, although I may not be used to having others do much for me having that option was just great. Given a tour of the entire place and they have everything you could need. Beach is right in the rear with great service for drinks (wear water shoes cause towards the water is rocky) Pool area is great split up into different areas Family area is where you can swim and have fun, adult area is where you can just relax and hear no nonsense. All in all this is a fantastic place and I would like to commend the entire staff for their diligent service throughout my stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank julianmitch2
Dear Julian and Mitch,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback and rating us so highly. We look forward to your return to offer another indelible experience.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This Hotel is one of the best I have ever been. Since you park your car you feel the luxury everywhere. Rooms are so huge and spacious that can accommodate 3 adults or a family of 5 without any problems. Bathrooms' design is a piece of art. Family pool is very nice and adult pool is a must try to have the maximum relaxtion you may need. They have a huge beach of more than 1500 m of length. The coffe, tea and water is free of charge within the room and the lobby area which shows how generous they are in every detail. The only thing that may become better is the quality of food in the main restaurant despite the large choices you will see. Staff is so helpful and respectful.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room and you won't regret it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tamer_Ismail_
Dear Tamer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to read that you had an amazing stay and we look forward to your return.

Cumbria, UK
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Upon arrival to the St Regis at 6am we were warmly welcomed by the porters on the main entrance who escorted us to a swift and pleasant check-in. When we were accompanied to our room by the floor 7 butler, we were shown the range of facilities the hotel had to offer.

The rooms are decorated and furnished to an incredibly high standard offering a variety of amenities (you could probably arrive at this hotel without any toiletries at this hotel as they provide a vast array in the well equipped bathrooms). The room and bathroom were generously sized; the bathroom was the full length of the bedroom making it incredibly spacious. We have stayed in other properties in the UAE and the St Regis is definitely among the best we have stayed in.

The St Regis Butler service was friendly and as efficient as they could be- a very good feature of the hotel.

The Manhattan Bar offered a wide range of drinks to choose from and the hot chocolate was delicious! We would recommend a visit, as the staff are very welcoming and the menu has lots to choose from.

The pool and beach area were stunning, very well maintained with plenty of space between the sunbeds, offering privacy if you required it. The pool and beach staff could not do enough for us, they always exceeded our expectations with their level of service and friendly attitude.

As we visited on a half board basis, we ate breakfast and dinner in Olea the buffet-style restaurant. The range of choice and selection both in the morning and evening was excellent, even picky eaters would struggle not to find something. Again the staff were attentive, very efficient and friendly- a general trend throughout the hotel.

Furthermore, members of staff which really did exceed our expectations were:
Elisa, Ayemar and Phyo the floor 7 housekeeping who cleaned and maintained our room to a briliiant standard.
Sudi- a member of the pool assistance team who was very friendly and professional throughout our stay, he always made us feel welcome.
Vaibhav and Sara in the Manhattan Bar were friendly, professional and very efficient on all occasions when we visited.

Thank you St Regis for an excellent stay- we plan to return for a second visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher floor offer excellent views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveToTravel_20103
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation, it was a certainly a pleasure to read your wonderful feedback. I will be sure to pass on the same to our teams. We eagerly look forward to your return.

Dunsmore aylesbury
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed in late june this year. A last minute holiday with my cousin for a well earned rest before my husband had major back surgery. The st regis was an excellent choice good not have been better. All the staff are very attentive and obviously have been extremely well trained. In particular the staff working around all the pools. We booked a sea view room and the first room they showed us was indeed beautiful but was on a lower floor so we could not see the sea! As soon as this was mentioned we were whisked away to a higher floor with a amazing view.

The butler service was perfect every time we asked for something it arrived very quickly. I forgot my apple earphones, when I asked the butler were I could purchase a set she offered to get it fr me and even leant me her set for the day, you can't get better.

I am extremely fussy and only stay in the best hotels and the st regis definitely meets all my expectations.

So much so I have just booked a second week in November for my husband and I and friends.

If you want a perfect combination I recommend a stay at the anantara qasr al sarab hotel in the desert that too is just perfect.

Room Tip: Pick a sea view room on floor 5 in central part of hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jill B
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and will be returning in November. We look forward to delivering another memorable stay on your return.