“Weekend mini beach break minutes from the city”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Weekend mini beach break minutes from the city”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as part of a holiday with my sister who lives in Abu Dhabi so it was a mini break for them.
The hotel is beautiful and an excellent location with the beach. The adult pool is really lovely it's set out like oasis channels so its got lots of areas to sit/ bob around , it's a bit more of a plunge pool. But there are other pools for keen swimmers.
The service by the pool was excellent, bit generally the service was very mixed . We waited nearly 45 mins to check in then were another 35 mins for our bags to the room, and when our key card stopped working my husband it took about 40 mins to get another key.
The food in the various restaurants was very good but expensive. The Thai was very good.
The spa was excellent one of the best massages I've had.

• Stayed April 2013
Stregis_Management, Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted we delivered a true resort experience and you were able to enjoy our unique location on the pristine sands of Saadiyat. My sincere apologies for the delays experienced during check in, however this has been addressed and is being diligently working on.

Thank you again for choosing us for your mini-break and look forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have just spent ten nights at the St Regis and I have to say it was dissapointing, we have had several holidays in UAE and this has to be the the poorest.
We have travelled all over the world and were most dissapointed when checking in late evening that we were not offered a drink or cold towel,
The hotel is more for families, our second afternoon after returning to the room we had screaming kids running wild for two hours, not what you want on holiday, the hotel needs to look at putting families on one side and couples on the other,( it works well in the Emirates Palace),
There is a lack of sun lounges and umbrella's around the adults pool, one day only one half the guests were given cold towels,put have to say the staff were very good.
The Restaurants were very good especially the Sontaya,and the 55&5 steak house but have to say the steak house was very expensive.The Manhatan Lounge staff were excellent, I orded a Brandy Alexander thinking i would get a cocktail, not a liqueur coffee,but the bar man quickly put things right, and i very much enjoyed my cocktail,
I tried to post two postcards and was told i would be charged an extra ten per cent if charged to my room, or I could pay cash, I did not bother on principal,
A little tip keep a check on your bill, as when we were checking out we had not been given our discount for eating at the other restaurants, we were half board, discount is 300uae per couple..
Finally just to say we will not be returning to this hotel.
Just to say we will not be returning to this hotel

Room Tip: We were on the seventh floor and overlooked the back road from the hotel, the bathroom was lovely, b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blagdon1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am very sorry to read that not all aspects of your experience with us met your expectations however, I would like to thank you for consistently recognizing our staff and our food and beverage venues. As we strive to provide our guests with the best service, your comments have been shared with the relevant teams. I am confident your next stay with us will be seamless in every aspect.

I look forward to your return.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 23, 2013

When my husband and me planed a trip to Abu Dhabi now in April 2013, we checked many hotels in the city and also read the reviews of them at Tripadvisor. The reviews on The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort was quite ok, but some people were complaining, that the staff is not enough trained, maybe because the hotel is so new. I also read complains about birds on the breakfast terrass, bad butler service etc. Forget this (spoiled) complains! We choose this hotel anyway and are so happy that we did - we had a fantastic stay!!!

The hotel and rooms have beautiful and luxury interior, definitly in high 5 star standard, the breakfast is great, the staff are very friendly and helpful, nice beach and pool area. It´s a perfect hotel for a hide-away for 4-5 days, if you go as a couple like us or if you are a family with children. There's a separate adult pool area, which is quiet and calm which we used twice. We're mostly on the nice sandy beach, which of course have good sun beds + umbrellas and great staff, who provides you with towels etc. The things the hotel do for there guests - they give cold towels on the beach, ice bucket with bottles of water, small fruit skewers, ice tea by the pool - it's the small little things that do so much for the whole impression. It's not about how big the fruit skewers are, it's the gesture. I can agree in some way, that the staff in the reception and conciege have to have more training, but they are already good, service minded and helpful - the hotel management just need give better guidance to the staff, to recive the ultimate service.

The only thing is the prices of the different hotel restaurants - if you compare to the quality, it's quite expensive, even if the food is good (best is the Asian restaurant). In other hand, I'll understand the prices, due to the hotels location - it's about 15-20 min with taxi from city centre, and many guests choose to eat at the hotel because it´s maybe most relaxing and convenient.

Summary: If you need to relax and a hide-away holiday, with great luxury hotel, warm temperature, sun and beach, and not too far from Europe with flight, this is the perfect place!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Patricia,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff took every opportunity to ensure you that your every need was well taken care off.

I will be pleased to share your words of recognition with our teams.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another flawless experience.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We just returned with my family from St. Regis Saadiyat. At this hotel, I got a recommendation from my friend.
Since I have been working for over twenty years in the hotel The business, so I read a few pre-trip review in people complained to the staff, etc.
All of these review Forget ....
My experience is unforgettable. Since the arrival and at check in we were pleasantly accommodated, Buttler Service showed us all around the hotel and our room overlooking the sea. The rooms are very spacious and the bathroom Especially with large bath and through shower with rain shower. Our king size bed was just perfect. Room amenities with a great sense of taste is very precise.
Hotel offers many options catering services. Our very favorite restaurant Olea, which offers superb cuisine from breakfast to dinner, which offers a daily changing dishes / we were staying 12 days / which is characterized by its precision and quality of food. Regarding sea ... it is the best choice in AUE. The hotel is located on a protected island and the sea and beautiful white and clean beach offers absolute comfort on your holiday.
Another excellent restaurant on the beach called Turquoiz. In this restaurant, we had a great summer lunch. Each day the offer of fresh fish grilled on wood. The flavor was truly memorable. After my query what is this unique spice on the fish, the chef replied me that it is the Arab spice Sumac. Be sure to buy on your way to one of the interesting souk market in Abu Dhabi.
Our time we spent with my family and 3-year-old child, he´s loved the kids club Sand Castle, which is really one of the best again as service and location and facilities we've visited.

Hotel is very well managed and the staff is in all respects very helpful...be sure (-:

If you waiting for selecting this hotel, absolutely it forget it .

St Regis Saadiyat is the best choice in Abu Dhabi, at 100% we'll come back.

Thank you all staff. Filip Tuma

Room Tip: Sea View Room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Filip,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback and fro rating us so highly.
In particular, thank you for detailing and recognizing our facilities be it our guest rooms, our children’s club and even our dining venues. It was a pleasure to be able to offer you a wonderful holiday and we look forward to having you stay with us for another unforgettable experience.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Brunch at the St Regis hotel is one of the great brunches in Abu Dhabi with a great atmosphere, abundant selections and a nice open and uncluttered server area.

The hotel has a good setting with beach access and weather permitting (heat) the open air area is well set out and comfortable.

The service was good and our main waitress - Safrina was very attentive and always had a wonderful smile which made the whole brunch experience even better.

People who had kids would also have been happy with a large bear and juggler on stilts keeping them amused...

Thanks to you and your colleagues for a nice afternoon...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Friday brunch at Mediterranean-inspired Olea. We pride ourselves on offering the city’s only Friday brunch with a view and while the weather is still good, it’s a great venue to enjoy the outdoors while savouring some delicacies. I will be delighted to share your kind recognition of our staff members.
We look forward to welcoming you again, perhaps at one of our other dining venues.

London
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 3 nights at the beginning of April, moving on to the Jumeirah at Ethiad Towers for the following 3 nights. We literally loved it!

We had a speedy check in (but we did arrive in the evening), our butler was absoloutely lovely, greeting us when he saw us again the next day. We found all of the staff to be really polite (a few did 'expect tips' for doing very little but that was the only issue). We had a great room, standard double. We did not pay extra for a sea view but we got one (side view) it was beautiful to step onto the balcony every morning and look outside.

There are a few things people should know about the hotel, but with a little research we were aware of these downfalls. Firstly, food is very expensive in the hotel and it is 30dhs to take a taxi to the coniche where there are more restaurants. Saadiyat island does not have very much to do or see or eat at the moment.

We did some research before booking and we were aware of this, hence splitting the trip between two hotels. We wanted to stay at The St Regis for the beautiful beach, unspoilt and not man made- this is exactly what we got.

We were really sad to leave, even though we were going to another 5* hotel. It was really beautiful and we are not sure why there are so many bad reviews. This almost put us off when booking, but I am so happy we did!

Room Tip: A sea view would be great
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for particularly appreciating our well-appointed guest rooms and our signature butler service – a cherished hallmark for over 100 years. While Saadiyat as a destination is still developing and evolving at the moment, the near future will see it undergo a remarkable transformation, especially with its Cultural District that will be home to landmark museums.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon for another memorable experience.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed two nights in April 2013 and loved it. My 'standard' room was sumptuous, the bathroom was colossal and luxuriously appointed and I had a balcony with a partial sea view even though I had not paid for a sea view room. A truly beautiful room. The hotel itself has acres of polished marble, tasteful decor and was immaculately maintained. It felt every bit the high end resort it makes itself out to be. I found the staff to be very professional and courteous. I'm fairly low maintenance and didn't make many demands, but every request was handled in a friendly and professional manner.

The hotel had a healthy mix of couples, families and business people of all nationalities. No one group dominated. The beach and pools were great and had a really nice children's water play area separate to the other areas.

I had dinner in Sontaya (SE Asian) which was good and breakfast in Olea was great with a huge choice, though expensive at around $50 a head. I also thought drinks at the bar were expensive ($10-11 for a beer) and the cocktail pours were stingy, although I think that is to do with a small standard measure in the UAE. Overall I was very pleased with my room rate so even factoring in the food and drink prices I felt I got great value for money.

The taxi ride in to Abu Dhabi is fast and costs less than $10 so it is easy to dine there if you want a change of scene. Overall one of my more memorable hotel stays.

1 Thank Wayne K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words of appreciation. I am happy you enjoyed our well-appointed rooms and distinctive dining venues and look forward to welcoming you back for another indelible stay.