“Sheer luxurious oasis in the Emirates”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #26 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
brackley UK
“Sheer luxurious oasis in the Emirates”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I was fortunate to spend a week in February on business, just as well as it can get very expensive. If budget is not an issue then this is the place to stay or try to get a half board package or at least B&B. The rooms are amongst the best I've seen, walk through rain showers, great bed, great service, great food (steakhouse and Asian rest' in particular). The 24hr fitness suite is amazing, great indoor pool, gym equip and sauna etc. The main pool has to be seen to be believed and close to the beach and golf. Only downside is this would have to be a special occasion destination due to the price, but if you are lucky enough you will not be disappointed. Ignore comments on location you are only 10 mins from corniche in one direction and 10 mins from Yas island in the other. Within A few years this hotel will be at centre of the New culture area with museums etc.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Triyanya
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort

I am thrilled to read of your pleasant experience at the resort, particulatly 55&5th, The Grill our signature dining venue and Sontaya our Southeast Asian venue, I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the staff.

One of the cornerstones of St. Regis is address and I am glad that you appreciate our location which is still within easy reach of the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
John Pelling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Qatar
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel but incredibly overpriced for basic fare. Poor service. Stayed 1 night, asked for early check-in - not always possible I know but you can ask. As it was we ended up with a late check-in, very frustrating when you are only there 1 night for pleasure. Bags took another 30 minutes to arrive in our room. I had emailed in advance our requests for extra bed for our 3 year old, plus coffee maker (they are not automatically in your room) and a dvd player (if possible thought not essential). So when we eventually got to our room none of our requests were there. The room given for 2 adults and 1 child was way too small meaning you couldn't move around with climbing on furniture. Whilst waiting for our room we ordered food in the lobby lounge. Their children's menu didn't start until 2pm (no idea why) so we requested a plain cheese sandwich. They ended up charging us for a full club sandwich (75 aed or 13 gbp! for a cheese sandwich for a 3 year old). Despite questioning the bill with them they weren't going to reduce the price. Best bit was the bathroom - stunning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TinyTinks
Neu-Isenburg, Germany
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel was "just getting started since 6 months" , still quite a bit of construction issues.
But : wild dolphins right at the beach (my wife and daughter swam as near as 30 meters next to them, antilopes crossing the resort beach,... the best natural beach I habe seen in any city near hotel in Abu Dhabi . Even the nuisance jet skis were chased away after 2 days and never returned...(they can get quite annoying near to the city...)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort

Thank you for your kind words from your stay in May 2012. I am pleased to say that the dolphins can still be sighted, as can the Hawksbill turtles. In fact it will soon be nesting season for the turtles.

We pride ourselves on our natural beachfront address as this is a cornerstone of St. Regis hotels and I am glad that you appreciated this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
John Pelling
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel has been open for roughly 14 months but teething problems are all too obvious from front of house staff , restaurant staff , housekeeping/butler service.
It's very curate's egg , either wonderful or dire , there is a shortage of staff in key areas and management/training issues which I think the hotel is aware of not least because one hear's of similar experiences from other guests.
After the first night we noticed a leak from the lavatory bowl , liquid was coming through the tiled floor , the staff endeavoured to fix this but were unable to ( it entailed taking tiles up etc ) at first they refused to allocate us another room although after arguements they did. In both rooms and in the third one we ended up in there were lights that didn't work because bulbs needed replacing , no one seems to be responsible for checking ( they would have noticed the loo problem much earlier given the staining on the tiles) . There is a butler service rather than a housekeeping service and it doesn't work very well at times .
The main restaurant Olea serves a buffet breakfast and dinner ( it's open at lunchtime but we didn't use it then ) , breakfast is excellent with a many different cuisines available but the experience can be affected by the differing standards of the service offered but when the service is poor I think it's lack of training/confidence/inexperience which is to blame.
The evening buffet is repetitive but the starters and puddings are delightful.
There is a steak restaurant 55&5th which is quite good but expensive and the dishes overseasoned for my taste.
There is a thai restaurant called Sontanya which is the better of the three inhouse restaurants , but Thai food in the UK is so good these days it doesn't really measure up.
Our least favourite of the three was Turquoiz , unfortunate decor which reminds one of 70s pizza joints on the Kings Road , horrible glassware and over loud piped music. The fish was overcooked and overseasoned as were the chips , it may be better at lunch time .
Where the hotel scores highly : the pools , the beach , the fitness center , the size and decor of the bedrooms and bathrooms not withstanding the faulty lightbulbs and not least it's location on Saadiyat Island away from the bustle of downtown Abu Dhabi but with easy access to it when required.
In conclusion , I would recommend this hotel but it needs to improve it's staff and it's restaurants and if it does this then it will be very successful.
Some , many of the staff were excellent but some were pretty hopeless , lastly please turn down or off the piped music that pervades the hotel .

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and it's worth paying for the sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jill O
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your objective feedback. We appreciate our guest comments and I will be happy to share with the relevant departments.
I’m glad you appreciated our Mediterranean-inspired rooms and our spacious fitness facility. We have recently launched new menus at Turquoiz and 55&5th , The Grill to suit the upcoming summer months.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and I hope to welcome you again with an assurance of a seamless experience in every aspect.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Fabulous treat for friends and family. A three tiered cake stand with sandwiches, scones, muffins and little cakes, tea or coffee of your choice and a wonderful view from the terrace of the beautiful Arabian Sea

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarenPUAE
Dear Karen,

I am pleased to read you that you enjoyed the afternoon tea experience in The Drawing Room, our lobby lounge. The St. Regis Afternoon Tea, a cherished ritual for over a century now, is celebrated with much pride and our setup is a reflection of the same.

Thank you again for choosing to dine with us, and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went for a special romantic long weekend after not seeing each other for a few week. Was given an upgrade as a platinum member and the suite was lovely and had a fantastic bathroom. We had a room butler who was very nice and helpful but we didn't really need him. Would have preferred to have coffee/tea facilities in the room itself.
Outside there is a nice beach but not enough umbrellas to go round so we ended up a bit burnt and decided to keep off the beach after that. Spent rest of time by the adult pool which was lovely and had better service. There is also a family pool for the kids but we didn't go near that.

Check in was very poor and i felt i was in the way and none of the amenities or breakfast was explained to me. I even had to ask what I was entitled to as a platinum member which was just breakfast as there's no club lounge.
We have been here several times to eat but not stayed before and knew the restaurants get busy so by this point my husband had joined me at checkin and we asked the guy to book 3 different ones for each night of our stay. Unfortunately he messed this up too. First night said we had no reservation at all. Second night name room no and time were all wrong. Third night we had been ourselves to check our booking as not impressed.

Breakfast again was awful. We were given table outside and during eating a pigeon above us did a massive poop landing part on my expensive handbag on the chair and part on the floor so i cleaned my handbag up and informed the staff. They didn't say anything and just moved the chair leaving a mess for people walking past to slip on. So I called the staff back and complained. They put a "wet floor" sign over it and we had to eat our breakfast looking at it. No one who I spoke to was willing to clean it up. Horrible!!
After that we had our breakfasts inside. But selection is poor for a hotel of this standard and the egg station took ages. One lot of eggs were uncooked, egg whites running clear jelly on top. When I complained the cook said "what's wrong with them? What do you expect?" Very rude! Next day my two eggs were also a mess I sent my husband up after that. He was a horrible rude little man with no perception of the standard of service expected.
Trying to get a cup of tea took us on average 15 mins and service was awful. No politeness and staff expected you to get out of there way instead of the other way round.
Hygiene was also an issue, chairs are white in colour and were all dirty fingerprints and food on all of them. Don't think they had cleaned them since since hotel opened. Tables were not washed down and cleaned properly and we watched staff setting tables for lunch drop cutlery on the floor and then pick them up and put back on table for people to eat with without even wiping them. Disgusting !!!! We did go infirm a manager of this but got the impression he didnt really care either.
We also used the spa for a couples massage which was lovely but on way out they put my wet expensive bikini in a bag and all the colour came off the bag and ruined my bikini. Thank god I had a spare with me or it would ruin my trip. I informed front desk but....

On the upside the restaurants Thai, steak and fish were all fantastic food. But sadly I don't think we would ever stay there again or recommend it.
The standards, service and staff attitude are not befitting that of a 5 star hotel!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dachsi-06
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking to post your feedback. While I appreciate your kind recognition of our Southeast Asian restaurant and our spa, I take this opportunity to apologize for the experience at Olea.

There have been shortfalls in service, for which we are sorry, and our teams are conscientiously working on remedying the experience so that this does not reoccur. Shall you be in the area again, I would welcome the opportunity to meet you for coffee and perhaps show you around the hotel for the areas you have highlighted in an attempt to change your view. I can be contacted on StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.

USA/Russia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We've been to Dubai many times, but never to Abu Dhabi and since we head about the new St. Regis, we had to try it.

Rooms--Awesome, especially the bathrooms. The rooms were beautifully and tastefully decorated. They bathroom was huge and designed beautifully. Our balcony overlooked the sea and pools. We spent every evening enjoying our view. The grounds are beautifully light up at night, highlighting every tree, pathway, restaurant and pool. It's stunning.

Pool--We found the pools to be of a high standard. The adult only pool, conveniently located near enough to the kids' club to drop them off and enjoy, yet far enough so that the noise doesn't carry over, is very relaxing. The main pool is busy and can get hectic but it never really bothered us.

Kids' Club--One of the best we've ever seen. Our kids really enjoyed going there even though at most hotels these days, they refuse.

Service--Service was really hit or miss. Here's where you can really tell the hotel is new. One day we'd have a waiter at the pool who was really on the ball and the next day we were searching high and low for some water. Oddly, in the middle of our trip, they decided to no longer provide ice buckets for patrons at the pool. Since it was 40 degrees outside, our water was near boiling point in a few hours, not exactly refreshing.

Management--Twice we complained to management about our concerns and both times we were heard and got the impression that management really does care and wants to make this hotel a great one.

Food--Breakfast was very good with a huge variety of international breakfast fare. My children loved the fruit bar. The Thai restaurant is nothing short of amazing. We ate there many nights on our trip and the food and staff were just brilliant. On our last evening, the staff wrote us a goodbye card. It's details like that that make a holiday memorable.
The steakhouse, however, was awful. The waitstaff was rude and didn't listen. Our meat was not cooked to our orders. My child who has an allergy was served exactly what she was allergic to, twice besides our repeated warnings to staff. When we pointed this out to them, they just shrugged. It was one of the worst dining experiences of my life. Such a shame considering how unbelievably stylish the dining room was. We spoke to the F&B manager and told him exactly how we felt about both restaurants. He seemed very receptive, so hopefully there have been some rewards to the Thai staff and some reprimands made to the other staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mkouzmine
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for individually recognizing some of our facilities. The Sandcastle Club often is a favorite for most visiting children, and I’m glad you children also enjoyed their time there.

That said, I am sorry to read about your experience at 55&5th, The Grill did not match your expectations, but I’m glad that Sontaya managed to amaze you. As our F&B Manager shared, we take all guest feedback seriously and will take the necessary actions to make your next stay with us flawless in every aspect.

We look forward to welcome you again.