“Great people, great food, great value, total customer focus”

Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown
Ranked #55 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London, United Kingdom
“Great people, great food, great value, total customer focus”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A fantastic hotel, great value and totally focused on the customer. I ended up here by accident but I felt very lucky to have found this place. Abu Dhabi has some very expensive hotels that don't always have the feel that the price would suggest. Cristal Salaam is great value for money but the best thing is the service which is fixated on customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed for a week at the Cristal Salam hotel and felt at home. The staff are very well trained, which is a contrast to many of the places I have stayed in GCC countries. The building itself, the furnishings and public areas, are all new and tastefully put together. The upstairs roof-top bar with an outside area and pool is a good place to relax on an evening and the Korean restaurant had excellent food and service. The breakfast buffet was very good and the spa also of top quality with a very well trained masseuse, "Be". The only point for improvement would be to enable guests to open their windows - I can understand why this is not allowed during the summer with 40+ degree heat, but in early March with 20-25 degree weather this fresh air into the room would have been nice to have. The hotel is pretty well located and the prices excellent for what you get. I would stay here again and can recommend it without hesitation as a good-value hotel for business travellers.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My colleague and I stayed for three weeks. This was the longest I've ever stayed continuously in one hotel. I will definitely return to Cristal if I return to Abu Dhabi. Convenient location, cheerful staff, modern rooms. The chef at Vertigo restaurant is excellent (braised lamb & surf 'n turf recommended) and the meals and drinks are not expensive, especially during happy hour. Bar staff Alex, Sanja, Zorya, & Malina were very friendly to us as were breakfast restaurant staff, front desk George and others, duty manager Litzl and general manager Syd, all regularly took interest in our stay. Gym very well equipped.

Cambridge, England
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I booked this hotel due to the consistently good reviews on Trip Advisor. I stayed with a colleague during 'IDEX' week in February 2013. This is always a busy week for hotels in Abu Dhabi. Our stay was pleasant enough. The rooms were nice and generally well serviced, although the minibar was never replenished during one week's stay.

Breakfast in the Korean restaurant was plentiful with a wide range cold and hot items. The staff both in the restaurant and on the front desk were excellent and quite helpful.

My opinion of Cristal Salam was drastically affected by the attitude and rudeness of the person on the front desk when it came to check-out. This person turned out to be the manager of the hotel!

When I received my bill there was a large discrepancy between the rate I had booked and the rate that was being charged. The discrepancy with the bill manifested itself in two ways:

1. The rate I was charged was some 20% more that the "fully inclusive of tax" rate I booked.

2. The rate I was charged varied from night-to-night, whereas I booked a rate which was the same each night.

When I challenged the bill (by showing my confirmation email) the manager spent ages checking on his computer and then phoned somebody at another office. After much time and argument, he said that this happens all the time with bookings from Bookings.com. If this happens all the time, why did he have to spend so long thinking about it and talking to other people? He should have known about the "problem" straight away.

We argued for ages, with him becoming ruder and ruder towards me. Frankly, I have never been treated in such a way by the manager of an establishment. In the end I had to pay the bill, although I signed the credit card receipt "UNDER PROTEST".

In summary, be very careful with reservations with this hotel. Reconfirm your rate both before you arrive and when you check-in. If you don't like what they are going to end up charging you - find another hotel. Luckily Abu Dhabi is on a hotel building spree at the moment and there are plenty of other hotel options available (as compare with 5 years ago).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank nickjbooth
Cristal H, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to flag some positives ( room, breakfast, friendliness of team), & my sincere apologies on any eventual aggravation caused by your check out experience.

Allow me to clarify 2 points you raised; firstly, the website through which you booked always displays our hotel rates exclusive of taxes. So when you do pay the bill, another 16% is added on for Tourism & Service charges. Secondly, rates at any hotel vary from day to day. Once again, the website you booked through would have quoted you the average rate over the period of stay. Thus you were quoted a constant rate ( the average), but in our hotel system, the rates would vary. If you average out our fluctuating rate, I am sure it would equal the constant rate you were expecting.

I hope you will accept my explanation above. We would never look to over charge our guests, & I trust that you will notice from our other 230+ reviews, the extremely positive experiences our guests have always had.

My apologies for the clear misunderstanding with our Front Desk Manager, & I shall definitely review this case with him.

You are right, there are plenty of hotel options in town, but I do hope you will choose to return, & give us the pleasure, & privilege to correct your impression of our hotel that happpened unfortunately in the last stage of your stay with us.

ClusterGeneral Manager
Singapore
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Both my colleagues and I stayed in this hotel at Abu Dhabi from 18 to 20 Mar 13. I found that all the staff in this hotel is very friendly and always serve with a sweet friendly smile. Even the manager in-charge of housekeeping talked to us during one of our breakfast time in the hotel. This was a very good gesture as the hotel management staff also walk and feel the ground. Inputs and feedback from the ground is important for continuous improvement and ensureing guests has the most wonderful stay in the hotel. As for the room, it was very clean and also the housekeeping staff was enthusiatic and friendly too. Overall, I felt very comfortable and the stay was fantastic. Surely, I will come back to this hotel on my next visit to Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cristal H, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, & it is encouraging to note that guests like yourself notice, & appreciate the focus we place on Managers walking the hotel, & looking to engage & interact with our valued guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Kind regards,

Cluster General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Service was excellent, room is excellent, could not ask for more. I have stayed in other places in Abu Dhabi and I will be staying here from now on. There might be better hotels, but I have no reason to try and find another.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 15, 2013

While writing this review, we are still checked in at Cristal Salam Hotel. We chose to stay here to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. Our first booking for this occasion was made with Sofitel. But when I read about the reviews here in Tripadvisor, we changed it to Cristal Salam Hotel.

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted and assisted to our room. The receptionist appointed us a room which was convenient to us since we are travelling with our 6-month old son - next to the elevator. The room is clean and was prepared nicely by the housekeeping staff. The bed is great as well as the pillows! Its very comfortable!

At our first night, we dined at Sura Restaurant and was assisted very well by the staff there. They recommended Galbi & Bulgogi which were to die for. It is a little bit pricey than the buffet but its worth it - authentic Korean dishes which tasted heavenly!! My husband who haven't tasted any korean food gobbled most of our order since it was very good! When come by at Sura, make it a point to taste also the Chicken in sweet and chili sauce - it's great! We met Liezel, the duty manager that day and was instantly charmed by her attentiveness to guests staying at the hotel.

After our dinner, we went down to Blendz Cafe to have some coffee. It's a quaint little spot next to the reception but it is still nice. They serve good cafe latte & nice tasting desserts.

Second day (which is today, Mar-15-2013), we went again to Sura for Breakfast and it was ok. As usual, the employees where attentive when a guest enter the restaurant & offered them coffee or tea. I liked the fact that they asked you for your egg preference and they have it specially prepared for you.

After that, we went back to our room and stayed there beyond 2pm when Liezel called me (the duty manager) and asked if we are going out. Earlier, we planned to have a massage but could not do so since we cannot find someone to look after our son. She spilled the beans that they are planning to surprise us since it's our anniversary. I was glad to hear that and said that they can still do so since my husband was still unaware of this surprise.

Around 3 pm, I told my husband that I would like to check out the pool area. By the time that he was preparing, I called Liezel and informed her that we are ready to go. During the time that we are at the pool, the hard-working & very creative housekeeping went to work for the surprise.

The pool was small but it's not a big let-down since the overall experience is great. Then after an hour, we went back to the room but I saw that they were not yet finished so I dragged my dripping husband to Blendz Cafe again. =)

Anyway, Liezel dropped by again to say hello and checked out how was our stay. After we finished our coffee, we went back to the room and I let my husband opened the door. The bed setting was perfect! It was so romantically set-up by the houskeeping! There were roses on the bed and they greeted us while giving us a cake.

Thank you so much guys! You made our stay very pleasant. Your customer service goes beyond of those 5-star hotels! Also, free wifi in every part of the hotel is a plus! We'll definitely come back and celebrate something special again in this hotel! Special mention to Liezel who really went out of her way to make our anniversary special for us. But all in all, every one is doing their job efficiently & effectively. It shows that they love what they are doing. Also, I love that guy who helped us with our luggage, whenever he sees us, he waits and opened the elevator and assist us to where we are going. It's a bummer that we cannot sample the massage but will do that next time!

Note: This hotel is highly recommended! Great value for money! Great food, customer service & great management!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honeymoon experience with us, & also for posting the photos taken.

I am glad we lived up to your expectations, already set when you cancelled a 5 * hotel reservation to stay with us! I don't believe many hotel room attendants would make the lovely towel, & flower arrangements our team did.

Liezyl has been complimented & recognised for going the extra mile to wow you, & I have also shared your positive feedback on our Korean food served at Sura.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, & you don't need to wait for a special occassion! We do our best to make every stay a special one!

Kind regards,