“Personal and yet professional : Excellent”

Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown
Ranked #55 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Petten, NL
“Personal and yet professional : Excellent”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Cristal Salam with a group of professionals from the Netherlands. We had a busy agenda, a diverse group of people, a large amount of luggage and high demands. I think the unanimous experience was extremely positive - friendly, professional staff gave us all the feeling that we were their top priority at all times. A special thanks to General Manager Sid - you are a star!

1 Thank GreenNL
Cristal H, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, & also for the kind words on the GM !

It was a pleasure having your group stay with us, & I do hope you enjoyed the evenings at both the Vertical Wine Bar, & Sura Korean restaurant.

I am blessed with a great team who work hard to make every guest a "top priority!' It is they who are the real stars!

We'd love to have you back, & you do not need to wait for the annual conference to return!

Cristal Abu Dhabi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
Amman, Irbid, Jordan
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It was my first time i stay in this hotel. The Hotel is located at the center of Abu dhabi which enabiling the guest to transfer easily.
The room service is good beside the have hotel service vale parking without extra cost which is very important in such conjusted traffic area.
Overall, my expiereince was good and wish them to keep in progress.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zaid E
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Through booking.com I paid $102 for the smallest room they have.

Overall, it was an awesome deal for the price. This hotel does have awesome service, for example they lent me a travel adapter to convert my US plugs to what they use here in UAE. Also I changed my mind a few times about things I requested and they were always polite and nice to me about everything. There are also little things that you typically see in high end hotels like nice elevator music, speakers in the ceiling, volume knobs in the bathroom, etc. Not everything was done perfect, but they did more things right than wrong, which is more than I can say for many hotels twice the price.

Want the nitpicky? Ok, for example out of the two toilet paper rolls in my bathroom, one of them looked like it got wet and then was dried out and put back. The trashcans are too small (tiny - you can't fit a food container into it's just to small, not practical, everyone will have garbage). You need to insert your room key to turn on the lights, so this means you enter a dark room ... (and they didn't mention this, so I initially thought the lights were broken).

I saw a few more little issues like that, but nothing serious was wrong during my stay at this hotel.

The food isn't as overpriced as other high end hotel restaurants either, which is another convenient plus.

This hotel had a #2 rating when I wrote this (1/18/2013) and also looked and smelled brand new when I stayed here. All that said, DON'T have overly high expectations based on all these awesome reviews. If you expect to be surprised and impressed and wowed you may not be. It is NOT palacial or like $1000 a night hotels, so don't get your hopes up unrealistically by the ridiculously high ranking it has a tripadvisor.

It has this ranking probably because it is just so much better than any other hotels in even twice this price range. But it is not majestic or flashy like some other hotels in UAE. Based on the photo and the size of many other high ranked UAE hotels, you'd think this hotel is much larger than it is.

Location good but not awesome. For example it takes 1.5h to get from the Dubai airport here. That's if you find it right away, which you won't, even most locals don't know where it is, as well as taxis, GPS systems, isn't indicated on any maps (in fact Salam St isn't even in the most recent UAE road atlas as of this writing). This is minor but it WILL annoy you when you are the one who is tired after a 20h flight and you are looking for it. Print out a good map BEFORE you go.

When I first saw it I wasn't impressed because the neighborhood does not seems that great immediately outside - but they do have a guard so you do feel safe being around there, and i walked in the lobby and it has nothing special, it was normal and small, so I felt like 'oh, that's it, I drove all the way here for this?'

But then it grew on me. Throughout my stay it became clear the staff are great and the hotel really is very good. The top floor wine bar areas have a view, the pool looks cool, etc.

BOTTOM LINE: If you need a place to stay, this hotel is a safe bet you won't regret. The staff seem to put a lot of effort into making sure you are happy.

I think the hotel is still very new and unknown which is why it's so awesome a deal. If they keep up this kind of good work you can expect this hotel will start to be sold out all the time pretty soon or the price will go up. Anything this good is bound to suffer the same fate...

1 Thank BWaffleLover
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such detailed feedback, & I daresay, one of the most interesting reviews we have received !
I was alarmed when I first read your title, "senselessly high rating", & then heaved a huge sigh when you go onto explain why it is "well deserved!"
Similar views were expressed by a reviewer shortly after you visited ( four reviews further). And like you have explained yourself, we have probably earned our top rating simply because, & I quote you, " are so much better than any other hotel in even twice the price range."
You mention other positives in that that we "grew on you," & our "staff were great", & the "food is not overpriced."

Yes, we are a new hotel, & this will explain why some cab drivers may not know us. But if you tell them we are located off Salam Street ( major ring road that runs through the island) & next to Abu Dhabi Mall, they will find us easily. As for safety of the neighbourhood, Abu Dhabi is probably one of the safest cities to live in, & our patrolling guards & camera surveillance systems make it even more secure!

Offering value is one of our cornerstones, & I'd like to allay your fears on us diluting that as we get more popular & well known!

Again, a big thanks for a review which made me reflect hard on our value proposition & the way forward!

I'd love to meet with you on your next stay?

Cristal Salam Hotel
Brussels
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed for 5 night during a conference in Abu Dhabi. Good Hotel price/quality, highly service oriented personnel and an Hotel Manager that speaks unexpected Dutch out of the blue! I would come back definitly.

1 Thank Pongo2
tilburg
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We booked this hotel directly through their website and stayed for 2 nights. We got an awesome price for €45 per night. Almost couldn't believe this price
untill I saw the confirmation of the booking. The location is okay with convenience stores around the corner. You can walk to Abu dhabi mall in about 10-15 minutes.
To go to the Marina Mall or the palace you'll need a cab.
The personell at the frontdesk are helpfull and speak english very well. They also provided us with helpfull tips about activities in Abu Dhabi. We wanted to go to a shooting range
and they helped us make the reservation and helped us with how to get there. The building itself is standard. We stayed in a Amber king-room. This was a regular size room and was very clean.
The bed is very comfortable and the room has all the things you expect like flatscreen, minibar, (pretty fast) internet lan/wifi and a nice bathroom. The shower worked superb and you have more than enough room
to move around.
We also had a swim in the pool. It's a small pool so when there are lots of people there it can get crowded. The gym is also pretty small, but wel equipped. AC was also good in there, so you can
have a good work out. We didn't have breakfast and dinner in the hotel. All in all we got extremely good value here. For €45 p/n we got a €100 p/n value. Recommended!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debbieendennis
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Watched this hotel being built during our stay in Abu Dhabi and were curious to see how it looked when finished. Was not disappointed . Very nice hotel although our Ruby room was on the small side and was lacking in wardrobe space but adequate for our 11 day stay and fantastic value for money considering we were there for NewYear. Great location. K M supermarket just around the corner and five minutes from Beach Rotana and Abu Dhabi Mall. Enjoyed hopping onto a local bus and heading down to the corniche (2 dirhams) to watch the sunset. Hotel drop off service was very efficient too. Would recommend this hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank JetlagAbudhabi
Cristal H, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, & I am glad we did not dissapoint you!

Our Ruby rooms that you stayed in are 30sqm, & should you need a larger room, the Amber type are available for an additional US$20 & are 35sqm. Our suites, TOPAZ are extremely spacious at 67 sqm.

And yes, we do indeed provide excellent value, just like our sister Cristal Abu Dhabi hotel does. Perhaps why we currently both are ranked amongst the Top 5 hotels on this reknown website for Abu Dhabi city !

Do come & bring in 2014 with us !

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My stay here was so perfect that I wrote to the owners of the hotel to tell them so. I will simply copy/paste an excerpt of this letter here.

In fact, the entire staff here is so remarkable that it is sometimes difficult for me to pick a favorite. I believe that this speaks volumes about the desires of yourself and Mr. Sid. Mr. Sid has been very helpful to us in ways far exceeding the average hotelier. He always has a kind word and we got hand written cards from him during the holidays. I believe that he leads by example because all of the managers and staff members here are remarkably attentive.

This building is very clean and comfortable, but it is only that, a building. It’s the staff that make this a first rate hotel. I can’t walk into or out of the building without a wave and a pleasant smile. The housekeepers have never once bothered me when my “Do Not Disturb” sign is on my door. When I remove the sign, my room is made up usually in around 15 minutes. When I walk into the Vertical Bar, my favorite beverage is immediately served to me. It doesn’t matter who is working. They all do this for me. The food here is truly outstanding and even your chef’s seem attentive to us individually. The folks at the gym keep it spotless.

I really can’t say enough good things about this hotel. It’s been a pleasure being here and I will certainly strongly recommend it to anyone traveling to your remarkable city.

2 Thank Dave W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind feedback shared on this website & also with the Owners of our hotel.

My job is made easier with the team we have. A team that for the most parts, is very passionate about delighting our guests, & excel in going the extra mile. And you are spot on with your views on buildings being just that, but the people/team making the difference. And we work hard on doing just that.

Your letter will be shared next week at our Team's bimonthly gathering, & is sure to bring many a smile.

Thank you again!