Ways to Experience Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital
from $62.00
from $65.00
from $143.06
1,210 results
All reviews beautiful birds waiting room quail birds of prey guide hassan national bird hour tour unique experience first hand tour starts interesting place to visit well worth the trip emirati culture interesting facts highlight of our trip informative tour two hours
Selected filters
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The largest falcon hospital in the world is the one in Abu Dhabi! These expensive and prized birds are fascinating... with their little hoods on AND off! Owners from throughout the Gulf region bring their falcons, 70-80 are seen each day, for a regular check-up here as well as for any other major or minor ailments. What a sight it is to see 20-40 birds, all hooded to keep them calm and tethered on rows of perches, lined up on the floor of the Hospital's Examination Room! And then to watch as a falcon is anaesthetised, to reduce stress on the bird as well as the vet, for it's check-up. This includes taking a blood sample, taking a swab from the throat, clipping the talons and beak and, finally after the falcon has come round, a weigh-in. Then comes the photo opportunity with a very tame falcon, of the GYR species (the big, most costly ones).
Along with a couple of other buildings to see, THIS IS A MOST WORTHWHILE ABU DHABI ATTRACTION! Take your camera!

2  Thank WikiKiwi
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked a tour well ahead of time as you cannot just show up and get in. Hearing about the history of falcons in Arab culture and seeing the impressive staff and facility and the care they give to falcons was a very unique experience and truly fascinating. Yes, it's sort of out of the way but go - there literally isn't anything like it anywhere else in the world!

2  Thank KayMarco
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We have visited Abu dhabi many times over the last 40 years my sister has lived here but this is our ( and hers) first visit !! ( I know -we have first time visitors and we were also curious!) It is a little difficult to find if you are driving, be extra alert for the signs. It was very informative, lots of Falcons to see, they actually put one out in front of you while they carry out a "manicure and pedicure" , you are also allowed to hold one for photos. It is a unique experience also giving you an insight into the culture of the UAE. Kids in particular will enjoy it. Also nearby there is a Saluki dog centre, but check the opening hours.
Well worth the visit, a bit of culture away from the beach and shopping ! add it to your list !

1  Thank Diana C
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect on my visit to the Falcon Hospital. There are pre-organised tours which include transport and entry but I was unable to book one from my hotel. I got the hotel to ring and book me on the afternoon tour and arranged my own taxi transport to and from the Falcon Hospital (located out near the airport so quite some distance). From the moment I was greeted at my taxi by a gentleman (who I assume was the manager), to the tour guide (from Jordan) to the hospital staff you felt welcome at the hospital and could see the passion they had for the falcon. There were around 9 of us on the afternoon tour and they focus on 3 types of falcon during the tour. Learn about the sport of falconry (which I had no idea existed) and about conservation of the wild falcons. On our day we got to see a falcon having it's beak and nails trimmed, learnt how feathers were collected to repair birds who had damaged theirs and got to hold a falcon. Small group meant easy to see and lots of interaction. I think the tour sizes vary. They offer boarding of birds which you get to view and the afternoon tour runs from 2pm-4pm. Falcon tour itself costs AED170 and taxi fares to and from. It may be easier to get the organised tour but I'm not sure how much they cost. Didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Staff made the experience - would definitely recommend.

Date of experience: January 2014
2  Thank TraceyC4
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We returned to the hospital to take photos for a work project and to see hobie. Who I am glad to report is doing well...staff as enthusiastic and friendly as ever..tour still good as ever...to get so close to study the birds is a truly unique experience ...well worth a visit....well done guys

1  Thank Tinaperry99