“A True Taste of the Emirates”
Review of Mezlai

Mezlai
Reserve with OpenTable
Mezlai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 2,150 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2014

There are several restaurants available on the half board option atbthe Emirates Palace and this was one of them and also our favourite. The staff are wonderful and so is the food which is representative of the national delicacies. With gentle soft background music being played by three musicians outside they created a beautiful romantic atmosphere.

1  Thank Richard C

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Truly enjoyed the savoring of local cuisine in a very elegant yet traditional setting. Located on the ground floor of the splendid Emirates Palace Hotel, this is an excellent place for enjoying the local cuisine. The food is very nicely presented and the attendants are very knowledgeable if you wish to get some recommendations. We truly enjoyed the evening and will certainly be back after the summer!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We dine here several times during our stay at Emirates Palace. The restaurant is nice and cozy, the food is great, even if there is no big offer. You can sit on the outside terrace, have a drink or smoke shisha in a classic Arabian atmosphere.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I'm so surprised this isn't more highly rated. The food was excellent - as a first experience of Emirati food I can't comment on the authenticity but I can say it was gorgeous. We relied heavily on our server's recommendations and they were excellent. We sat outside - no problems reserving an outdoor table - and in fact we sat in a tent-type area with soft cushions etc. There was a live trio playing traditional music. What more could you want? I felt the food was very reasonably priced for the quality, the experience, and the fact that you're in the Emirates palace (probably expecting to be ripped off...!)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

For a tourist, searching for Emirati cuisine is like looking for an elusive unicorn. Mezlai gave us an opportunity not only to taste Emirati cuisine but also to experience the 7-star Emirates Palace Hotel. (Many tourists go there to check out the lobby. We did that, too, but we also had another purpose!) I don't know what Emirati food is supposed to taste like, so I cannot comment on authenticity. However, I can say that the food was amazing. There was a nice balance of freshness, simplicity of the ingredients and the complexity of the flavors. Each bite was delicate to the tongue. If you like seafood, go for it. There were many seafood options, especially local fish that was cooked to perfection - well cooked and still moist. Same went for the grilled shrimps. Our waiter was attentive, polite and knowledgeable. Since it was our first time experiencing Emirati cuisine, he helped us navigate the menu and select dishes based on our protein of choice, and made suggestions to make sure that our meal was balanced, and not too heavy. We decided not to drink wine and went for mocktail options. He gave us excellent recommendations for juices and mocktails to complement our dishes.

There were two additional servers to help him once the food arrived, but we still had our privacy. I also unceremoniously spilled something on my lap, and they swiftly and seamlessly swapped my napkin for me.

We made a reservation the day before and went for dinner on a Sunday night. A few tables were occupied, and the place was practically quiet and empty. I would have made the reservation regardless just in case. If you like to watch the kitchen in action, request a table near the kitchen as you can see through the glass wall. There is also live music in that room. We sat in the other room in the end; it was quieter, and the live music was not too loud for our conversation. I just wished they had dimmed the light a bit.

For desserts, the sample plate was perfect for sharing for two people. You can get to try different desserts, and they were delicious.

2  Thank Roncey