I had the dubious honor of being the first platinum Le Club member to check in to this Sofitel in the first week it was open. Fortunately for me, this resulted in an upgrade from the luxury room I had reserved to the Suite.
On the good side, just imagine everything you would expect in a 5-star AD hotel, and you have it here, so I won't waste any typing on this.
On the "room for improvement" side, here are a few things you should be aware of:
1. They did not yet have a license for alcohol when I stayed there, so you could not order any drinks in the hotel, including with meals. There is no indication of this on the web site or when you make the reservation.
2. There were 200 employees and 40 guests in the week I stayed. This means that every time you walk in the front door, 10 people swarm on you like bees on honey. If you like this, OK. But I do not.
3. There was only one restaurant open, and it was buffet style. Great as far as buffets go, but buffet nonetheless.
4. The hotel is all the way on the east end of the corniche where nothing is happening. It is a 45-minute walk down to the other end of the corniche where there are people, restaurants, bike rentals, etc. The walk is nice (parks all the way) if you like to walk (I do). But you will need a taxi to get anywhere, especially once its starts getting hot.
5. The "free" wi-fi did not work from my suite. They even sent an IT guy up who was at least honest enough to tell me they were still working out some bugs (rather then telling me my laptop was the problem).
SO...if you are thinking about staying here, I recommend you call and ask if they can serve alcohol now, if the other restaurants are now open, and if the wi-fi problems are resolved. If the answer is "yes" to all three, then I highly recommend staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in the first quarter 2012, the Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche (part of Capital Plaza building) is ideally situated in the heart of the city, close to the seafront and the business and financial center. It enjoys a privileged location on Corniche Road, one of the most prestigious district. The maritime centre Port Zayed, the Souk, famous for its rugs and Dhow Harbour, home to the traditional transport and fishing boats which still take to the waters of the Arabian Gulf, are all a short distance from the hotel. The hotel offers all the services of a world-class French establishment, blending its origins with the best of the Oriental influences: butler service and executive lounge access (Club Millesime) for club rooms and suites, and the famous MyBed concept and Bose wave in all rooms. Each of the rooms offer breathtaking views over city and Arabian Gulf. Additionally, the hotel offers 3 signature restaurants and 3 bars, a pool, a spa and wellness space and 9 meeting rooms. A ballroom can also welcome up to 1000 visitors and therefore host any kind of events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, ACCOR, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.