“Horrible valet services and Pub”

Grand Millennium Al Wahda
Ranked #52 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Zurich, Switzerland
“Horrible valet services and Pub”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

First of all I am furious at the new opening of Porter's Pub! I am here for a few weeks of visit and I frequent the pub since its opening. I was refused entry by the bouncer claiming it is full. Full! It is not a night club or a disco! It is a pub! it is meant to be full. Otherwise how will it make business? This is the first time a so called 'pub' refused an entry this is completely outrageous! Your management should rethink their strategy about this, Pubs are meant to be pouring that is what a pub is and what kind of Porter's Pub it is that doesn't serve steak?

Valet parking is completely useless! It takes more than half an hour to retrieve my car while there are a bunch of them just standing at the front door doing nothing! It is like I could spend the night at the hotel while waiting for my car's retrieval! Absolutely rubbish! Not a 5 star standard as it boasts itself on the door way.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Issac A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is set in the middle of Abu Dhabi, on several floors and with a marbled lobby leading to a set of reception desks - well set out when you enter. But once you get through the reception and are led to your room prepare yourself. We had two rooms booked; when we got to one it had not been made. Sheets all over and basically arrived at 9.30pm to a room vacated by a guest but not cleared for the next! It took such a long time to get this sorted and one cleaner took 5 minutes saying the job was done, only for us to realise that he had simply pulled the sheets over the bed again. In general cleanliness was very poor, especially the all-important bathroom. Badly managed, no-one seemed to know what they are doing. Breakfast was average and the restaurant it was served in looked more like a Holiday Inn restaurant. The waiter just didn't seem to understand us - all we wanted was a cup of tea...
5 star? No way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Farzana14
Central Florida, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My partner's office is located next door -- so I thought I would try this hotel again as I have stayed here before during the IDEX show.

So I check in. They try to put a hold of 1500 AED on my card. But it is prepaid I say -- get an oh so they put a 500 AED hold.

They tell me breakfast is included -- as I have book a Club Room I ask why? Oh someone will call you an tell you your privileges. So I check in and would like to have a coffee in the lounge and read the local paper. Go down to executive lounge -- guess what there is no lounge - closed...

That did not stop them from selling me a club room with lounge privileges.

So if you want a good hotel that caters to business people -- stay away and go to the Rotana Beach or the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Don't chose a club room there is NONE..
2 Thank Radarman123
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Last week I visited the GrandMillenium Al Wahda for the third time in a 15 months. My previous stays were not 100% satisfactory, but it is because of it's location close to our office. This time my stay was a disaster.

First the 'limousine' pick up service from the airport. Upon arriving there was no limousine, but a small Chevrolet with a trunk to small to fit my suitcase. Since I was alone, we put my (regular!) suitcase on the back seat and I had to sit in front. (What if I would have had guests with me?) The driver apologized for the car, but the 7-series BMW had a broken tyre right before my arrival. That's ok, but when checking out they charged me the full fee! No discussion possible.

When making my reservation I agreed on a certain room that I know has an excellent value for money. Upon arrival (11PM) the room was not available so they DOWNgraded me to a smaller room and still charged me the same rate! Now, who does that? The receptionist said to me I could change rooms the day after and that I would be contacted around three to arrange for that. The next day I have spoken to at least 5 persons, but nothing happened. It was on the third day (of a five day stay) that I walked up to the receptionist that checked me in and told her nothing had changed. She finally arranged it for me. It just took so much effort and time and I felt completely ignored. It was without any respect. The hotel's slogan is that they treat their guests as if they are family. Right,...

Rooms on the Al Wahda mall side are very noisy because of the 240+ airconditioning units on the roof of the mall, all under the bedroom windows of the hotel.

The food is quite good, I would have expected a deduction from my room rate when ordering room service breakfast, now I had to pay twice as it was included in my room rate and charged extra because it was room service. I don't mind paying for breakfast but I find it very unnecessary to pay twice. Again no discussion possible and I was not informed this would be the case. They just bluntly said I should have known. There is not a single pro active action to be expected from the staff. The only act upon comments and even then you have to insist. Staff stays very friendly and 'professional', but without any real compassion.

The only pro active workers are the doormen and luggage helpers.

Beds are good, rooms are very clean, no comments there. Some malfunctions on TV and A/C.

In my room the tv turned on spontaneously during day and night, every time 20 minutes after turning it off, with a hotel promotion trailer telling me how good they take care of their guests,... I actually had to pull the plug. Same with the A/C. Changing it to another temperature only worked for so long, than it 'automatically' turned back to an earlier value.

When checkinig out, again I had to explain all that went wrong. In the end from a total sum of 4.300 AED for 5 nights, I was offered a reduction of only 200(!) AED if I would promise to come back again next time.

I found it an outrage, way below expectations and I will never return here.

3 Thank SennamaxNL
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Clean spacious rooms. Accommodating staff. Sadly let down by coming back to thebroom one afternoon after work and the room had not been made up even though I had requested it at 7am that day. I then had 30 min wait in lobby while they cleaned my room. A gratis OJ was provided though. Also let down by portable handheld controller for lights and aircon. It broke twice and and had to be replaced. Room service is good if a little expensive.

1 Thank Sam H
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

+ve's:
Location is great almost in the heart of the city next to Bus Station
next to Wahda mall
rooms isolated
very nice furnished
clean bathroom, towels and sheets
friendly staff
easy to find

-ve's:
a bit expensive

Room Tip: make sure to get the street view as its worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zainab-AlHussainy
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I checked into this hotel for a one night sleepover, as I already had a beach hotel booking in Abu Dhabi. Make no mistake this hotel is significantly better than the Hilton Abu Dhabi which I went to afterwards, and is less expensive. This hotel really looks 5-star and the spa was absolutely amazing. The room was immaculate and I wish I had stayed here rather than go to the hilton. I would stay here again without hesitation - and for £50 a night, you cant go wrong.

Room Tip: Al wahda mall is next door, so restaurants are a plenty.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo