“Not the greatest place in Abu Dhabi”
Review of etoiles - CLOSED

etoiles
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not the greatest place in Abu Dhabi”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food was ok, the location is top, the service was poor, and the interior a little bit too "cold" and "stiff". It wasn't a relaxing place to enjoy a dinner. Their chocolate fondant was a bummer. A great wine chart. Weird VIP seating arrangements on quiet nights... Even if you dine and eat in the restaurant for more than the required amount to get a table in the bar, you still don't get a table in the bar.

• Visited May 2012

“Very enjoyable experience.”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Had a fabulous evening at Etoiles in Emirates Palace. The WOW factor for me was the presentation of the food and the Menu.
Started off with the Squid and Chicken Salad for entree's. The squid was presented on a glass rectangular plate, thin noodles topped with pieces of tender tasty squid, caramelised peanuts and I have to say this was my top 5 of entree's ever. My partner had the chicken salad and that was just as great, had a lovely dressing with a hint of coriander and went so well together, we had to share.
On to the mains and I had the Sea Bream which was very nice, my partner had the Steak cooked to perfection with mushrooms and topped with onion rings and a side of pepper sauce. The steak was a real winner here.
For dessert we had Sticky Date pudding and Creme Caramel.....in a word YUM.
Service was outstanding, drinks menu is extensive.
I found the seating to be comfortable. Lighting was romantic and the chandeliers were amazing.
We had an 8pm reservation and left by 11pm, towards the end of our meal they were setting up for the nightclub in the adjacent section so if you want a quiet dinner I would start no later than 8. I found it to be nice and romantic, after this time (11pm) I should imagine the music would get younger as would the crowd!
If I had one gripe it would be the receptionist on the front counter, I went to the ladies once while dining and walked past again when leaving and 3 of four times I went by she had her head buried deep in her mobile, we did not get Thanks for coming, hope you had a great evening etc, minor I know but just my observation.. This did not hinder my visit at all but was just unprofessional for an establishment such as this.

• Visited July 2012
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Food can be Fabulous or Flawed - a bit schizophrenic”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is my third time dining at Etoiles. Previous times have been with my friends - on a dressed-up night out. This time, was with my man - who is a bit of a connoisseur of his food and wine.

On the food front - the Duck Confit main was cooked perfectly. I think Etoiles is the only place in Abu Dhabi that serves this great French classic. My husband was delighted with the Mushroom Tortellini starter that was served with quail. He wasn't so lucky with his main - the seabass firstly came overcooked, then came out raw! Even the desserts were dodgy - my Tiramisu was served still frozen. My husband's 'warm chocolate malva pudding' was still chilled in the middle.

We liked the wine list - for Abu Dhabi it's reasonably priced with a good range of wines from around the world. And importantly the service was great.

I will return (without my Husband) as it's probably the best value restaurant at the Emirates Palace and whilst some dishes may be flawed - the steak and duck are always good.

• Visited July 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One for the masochists”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

It was an evening out to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had booked a table for three for 7.00pm, but when we got there they looked rather surprised and did not have our name on their reservation list. Neverthless, we were shown to a table. The decor is quite gloomy and very retro with bling. Personally, I found it tasteless, but some may find it trendy.

While waiting for our orders we were given some bread and dips. That turned out to be the best bit of the meal. The breads were obviously home made - soft and warm and the dips - butter bean paste, sundried tomatoes dip and tapenade - all quite tasty. The food itself was quite disappointing. Our mains were truffle rissoto, chicken and lamb. The risotto while quite flavorsome, but was very crunchy. Rice is not meant to be crunchy. If a kitchen cant cook rice well, it isnt doing the basics right. Both the chicken and lamb were dry and without flavour. The lamb came with a parsnip puree, red cabbages with an overpowering fennel flavour and a pointless piece of shortcrust pastry. The chicken had risotto too which thankfully was cooked with some red onions. The various components of the dish just didnt complement each other. The side orders of cherry tomatoes with mozzarella and thrice fried chips were ok. The chef, I think has to grasp the concept that tweaking a dish too much is not necessarily a good. The main thing is to get the basics right, which this restaurant's kitchen didnt do. Desserts were ok. They had run out of tiramisu but the creme brulee passed muster.

The service was pretty poor and we had to wait ages to get the attention of the waiters for the dessert menu. It was almost as if they get special training to avoid eye contact. On the whole, I will avoid this place like the plague. This is most suited for people with lots of money but no culinary taste or aesthetic sense

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Gokul S
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Expected more”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Following a recommendation and wanting to see the Emirates Palace we came here for dinner. We got a nice table on their terrace which was nice with the view on an inside court of the hotel. There were not many people there and it therefore was quiet and relaxing. Unfortunately, we had to wait quite some time to be able to order and then to receive the food. The food was good but I expected way more. Plus they had "maccaroni and cheese" on their menu which didn't impress me at all even though it might be a "luxurious" version of maccaroni and cheese. It just didn't fit. The prices were high as expected but I didn't expect the wine to be that expensive there (being aware of the alcohol prices in Abu Dhbai), so I probably had the most expensive glass of wine ever! Overall, it's interesting to see the palace but I wouldn't necessarily eat there again.

• Visited January 2012