“Great Stay”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #24 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I tend to head to this hotel for a weekend getaway. The rooms are very spacious and service is always great. I particularly like the pool as it has a private beach, outdoor restaurant, and pool bar. Definately join their loyalty program and you get free internet as well as other perks. Hotel is very easy to get to as it's before the city center and you don't hit Abu Dhabi traffic.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade for a "View Room"- excellent view of the Grand Mosque!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James F
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Bab Al Bahr

Reviewed June 18, 2012

we only staying 1 night as it was getaway from Dubai and our friends took us. It was just as fab as they had said. We got a free upgrade to a suite and on the club room because it was my husbands birthday and they gave him a cake which was a lovely touch. the pool area is great and the staff very attentive to all needs. the breakfast on the club room was amazing compated to other club breakfasts I have had and we ate at Frankies Italian in the hotel which was also good. Nothing really let it down except to say you'd never know it was there but thats a good things as it doesnt look as impressive from the outside but it really is a great hotel with super staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My last visit to Abu Dhabi, I thought I had the privilege to stay at the Emirates Palace Hotel, but now I know the privilege is to stay at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr. I was put in a suite on the Gold level floor...every staff person seemed to know my name and my preferences at every turn. Every staff member seemed genuinely courteous and helpful. No need was left unmet. My room was huge with a living room, dressing area and bed room. Floor to ceiling windows overlook the Grand Mosque. There was a deep soaking tub, which I did not have the opportunity to use. No spa, but the staff arranged for my massage at the nearby Shangri La Hotel (recommend a spa treatment there). We ate at Frankies, the steakhouse and the buffet restaurants and all where wonderful. I highly recommend the steakhouse and the buffet. The gym facilities are top notch with onsite personnel willing to help you out with your work out or form (and handing you cool, wet cloths when you perspire!). My colleague braved the 109 degree heat to use the pool and he claimed the pool water was cooled! The pool area and outside areas are all beautiful and well kept. One minor complaint, I don't believe my room air conditioning was working properly. Maybe it was because my room was so large, but I couldn't get the room cooled to my liking. I did not alert anyone to this though I'm sure they would've been on it!
I hope I have the privilege to stay here on my next trip to Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank redheadmom
Reviewed June 14, 2012

great experience....one should be there to feel it....great place ....happy to go back ....u can feel warmth and silence atmosphere .....a great view to the Grand Mosque .....amazing......pool side and the break fast just breautiful....wana go back again and again..... great service from the well trained staff .... c ya all soon ....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

1st and foremost our double room are excellent. It was very spacious including a wonderfully comfortable king size bed. The design was very modern with only glass doors to separate the shower and toilet from the rest of the room. It's nice though not very good for concealing noise or smells.

The food is great. I had buffet breakfast everyday and ate til I couldn't eat no more. It worth noting that eating turkey bacon is not as bad as I initially thought. They have Indian, Asian, and European breakfasts available plus cereal.

The pool area is also worth going to. It's a decent size and allows you to swim up to a bar. I know you should drink and eat whilst swimming but this was too tempting. If you do go also make an effort to swim in the creek (which is really a river) but note the water is quite salty.

Customer service is exceptional. Never before have staff recognised me and remembered my name. When leaving and returning they would say "goodbye Mr......" or "welcome back Mr .....". It is a very nice addition to their service which is already very helpful.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and recommend it highly. If you can afford it please treat yourself.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the creek (river) as it's much nicer to look at than construct...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BM2759
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Being an extensive traveller, for work and holidays.... I have to say that this is one of the best hotels I have EVER stayed in.
The building itself is beautiful and very modern, grounds are constantly looked after with an amazing pool and beach area. The public areas even have their own Fairmont signature smell/perfume which is beautiful. (Sofitel do something very similar)
I travelled with a party of 5, in 3 rooms and were fortunate enough to be upgraded to rooms with a view, which again was beautiful. Rooms are huge with very comfy beds, excellent bathroom area which included a walk in wet room (incorporating large bath tub and open shower) 2 sinks with plenty of space for 2 to get ready at the same time.
We went on a half board basis where we had to eat in their restaurant "Cuiscene" For me, half board means breakfast and dinner... but the deal was actually breakfast and lunch. We were able to change for dinner, but at a cost off approx AED46 pp (some Tripadvisors have managed to change this for free)
Food @ Cuiscene was absolutely amazing and the staff were so friendly and very attentive.... Everytime you left your seat, someone would come and fold your napkin. There were plenty of choices at breakfast and at Dinner time....... One night was a seafood theme, another Arabian night and another Indian night..... There are different sections of the restaurant where there is a massive variety of food. Even the head chef would occasionally come around and ask if anything in particular could be prepared.... excellent service!
Pool and area was beautiful and very welcoming to the 41 degree heat. Pool staff/lifeguards were very attentive and hard working... bringing towels to you and making up the sun bed... also bringing ice buckets with cold bottles of water.... Be warned thought that the pool area does get extremely busy their weekends (fri and sat) with lots of locals/expats who are members and kind of take over the place.... Lots of screaming and shouting, noisy kids.... and a lot of people with attitude..... a complete opposite to the peaceful haven it is during the week. I felt extremely sorry for the pool staff as a lot of the fairmont members seemed to have lost their manners and spoke down to them quite rudely... I felt like intervening at one point with an Australian family who were complaining that they weren't being served (whilst being in the pool!?) I hope some of the staff read this and I'd like to reassure you that you do an AMAZING job.. even at the weekends where the pool is overcrowded and you have so many people to look after!

Journey to the hotel is approx 30mins from Abu Dhabi airport. The hotel can arrange their own transportation for you, but it is much more expensive than a taxi. Taxi journey costs approx AED40-50 depending on how fast the driver goes.

A visit to the hotels chocolatier/coffee shop is a must to indulge yourself..... Afternoon tea looked beautiful... The other restaurants looked very nice too, but I never used them.

The negatives (and I really am nit picking here):
The hotel is quite far out from the town centre so takes approx 30 minutes depending on traffic to get there... This wasn't a problem for me as I just wanted a quiet break, and had everything I needed at the hotel.

Kayaks were available at the beach... but at a charge for hotel guests.. apparently free for club members (even though they were hardly used all day!?!?!)

Internet connection was good but its quite pricey... and is only free for Fairmont Club members.

No spa in the hotel as others have mentioned... even though the guest services book in the room states that there is one on the lobby level??!

Summary:
A fantastic stay and will definitely return... but will try and avoid the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Simon S
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed there during Madonna concert weekend June 3rd. also celebrated a friend Bday.
the room view is amazing. we had a creek view room. amazing showers and large bathroom.
the restaurant cuisons is nice for breakfast.
it was not busy in summer people travel to Europe instead. the only comment is about check in it was very smooth. we arrived at 1:30 and we had to wait for the room. also the front desk girl ruined the surprise I was doing for my friend by asking if we celebrating an occasions. and I already planned a SURPRISE at the room.

But this place is great and will stay here again and again. also was given complimentary internet.

Room Tip: choose the creek view rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends