“Not a peaceful location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yas Island Rotana

Yas Island Rotana
Ranked #49 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London, United Kingdom
“Not a peaceful location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is lovely, the staff are friendly and it is very clean however there are some things to be aware of before you decide whether you want to stay or not:
All the hotels on Yas Island are directly under the flight path with night arrival/departures until approx 3am.
The sun disappears behind the hotel by 3:30pm, all sun loungers and the pool are then in shade.
The hotel restaurants are very expensive; the nearest Mall (a small one) with food court/restaurants is a 15 min taxi ride.
The only 2 hotel shuttle buses to town are 9am and 1:15pm so not conducive for an evening meal out. Although Taxis are not expensive it is 30-45mins into town which is approx £30 for a round trip; still cheaper than eating at the hotel.
Residents of Abu Dhabi can pay a daily fee to use the pool facilities; on some days it was like a public baths and everyone was asked to sign a disclaimer as they were too busy to complete all checks! The Jacuzzi on these days was full of children. There were times when hotel guests were unable to find sun loungers. Although this is a feature of all the hotels it felt that there was no limit to numbers and this also made it very noisy.
On one night we were awoken around 2am by a gathering of locals in approx 10-15 cars on the road outside the hotel revving engines, wheel spinning and racing.

This is not a hotel to stay in if you wish peace and quiet for your holiday and is just a bit too far out of town. It is however great for the F1 race circuit (which the hotel overlooked), Ferrari World and Yas Waterworld. There is also a Mall being built which should help with choice of restaurants and somewhere a little more local to be able to go in an evening to get out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool also overlook the F1 race course and so can be noisy. Check before you go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear 36SueS36,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for posting a review, it was a pleasure having you and your family with us.

I sincerely appreciate your comments because it gives us the insight we need to improve our services and product offer. In particular, we will look closely at our restaurant prices and our city busy timings.

I understand your frustration about our pool area, it was a paticularly busy weekend due to local school holidays so we certainly became more family focused on these days. Having said that, please be assured that the safety of our guests is never compromised.

Thank you very much once again for sharing your experiences, kind regards,

nadim.elzyr@rotana.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

myself and wife as just returned from a 5 night stay at the yas rotana,may I just start by saying the hotel is built with 5 other hotels in a plaza and yes there is airplane noise but all the hotels get it,the hotel is built straight across from the yas marina f1 circuit so you can imagine the views are fantastic.when we arrived we were offered a upraded for what works out at £12.00 a day and for that we got a room on the 7th floor with a pool view also got a view of the race track.the room was spotless,large with all facilities working fine.the pool area was very clean with plenty of beds and shade they even had a life guard on,the food round pool area was plentiful and always hot,while we were there we had a spa treatment which was very good and well worth the money.we was on b&b and we had no complaints there,evenings we ate at choises buffet were there was a good selection and quality food.we also ate in the blue grill it was a bit pricy but the food was beautiful.we had drinks in the y bar most evenings which was quite busy it looked as though it was the place to be and the service was excellent.all in all the staff throughout the hotel were very professional and polite

Room Tip: if offered take a upgrade overlooking the pool well worth it,also don't miss happy hour at the y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear iangott,

It was indeed a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel, thank you very much for choosing us for your holiday in Abu Dhabi and for giving us your feedback.

It is great to know that you enjoyed the benefits of our premium rooms and that you had a chance to try a number of our restaurants and our spa. I will certainly share your compliments about our service team as we sincerely believe we have the best on the island.

Please stay in touch in case you are passing through Abu Dhabi once again; it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on business - room was fine - shower not great - service was ok. I arrived without my bags, courtesy of Charles de Gaulle airport, but staff couldn't really have cared less and did nothing to help - they wouldn't even lend me a mobile phone charger. Service in bars and restaurants was no better than average. The Crown Plaza across the road (where I ate one evening) is a much better bet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear stevenclare,

It was a pleasure welcoming you to Yas Island Rotana, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

I have certainly noted your feedback and points for improvement. I am also very sorry that you did not find our team empathetic to the fact that your bags were left behind in CDG. We do our best to assist our guests in every way, so will highlight your example in future training.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is quite a nice hotel but it is located righ on the flight path into AD airport, so you get noise from landing aircraft from 5.30am. Paid extra for Club floor, however when you arrive they give you a bit of paper explaining that cocktails between 6.00 and 8.00pm are limited to 4 drinks, and a large G&T is 2 drinks, in addition no breakfast is served in the lounge so you need to go downstairs.
It is also annoying that the staff can not resolve complaints. One may think this is petty, but I was late in from work one night and wanted some light to eat. I ordered a Wagu beef burger with Porcini mushrooms, as i am partial to Porcini mushrooms, and asked this to come only with a small salad. It came with no salad but with French fries, so i sent it back. It then came again with salad, however the burger was only just warm, and after eating most of it because I could not be bothered to send it back again, I realised there were no Porcini mushrooms. When I pointed this out the the barman went away came back and said they did not have any. I explained that this was one of the reasons for me ordering the particular dish and he said OK next time you come you will get porcini mushrooms !! Bearing in mind this burger cost over £20, I was appalled, however he offered nothing else and they charged me the full price. I complained on checking, and it was " ok we will report it to the manager" and as you will probably guess nothing has been heard.

Room Tip: Do not bother with the club floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ATGriff
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear ATGriff,

We are very thankful for your recent visit to Yas Island Rotana, and for taking the time to give us your feedback so that we can improve our overall services.

In particular, I appreciate your detailed explanation of your experience at our bar. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team, we intend to look into the root cause of the problem you experienced so that it does not happen again.

With regards to the Club Rotana, we value your feedback very much and will do the necessary changes to ensure it adds maximum value to our guests' business or leisure trip.

Thank you once again and hope to welcome you again soon, kind regards,

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were at this hotel with a group a couple of nights. Hotel's facilities are pretty nice, pool excellent but the service itself.....
First trouble was faced already at the reception - the check-out date, which was written on the key box was wrong, for all group members. Second trouble was at rooms - even though we ordered twins for all, some group members did become doubles. I don't have anything against my colleagues but still it was pretty disturbing to sleep with one of them in the same bed under same blanket. Then it needed to be extrabeds in almost every room we ordered. When we came into rooms, extra beds were still missing. Only after calling to reception some indian guy brought the extrabed. BUT he forgot all other set for third person - towels, shampoos, everything. Only after calling reception AGAIN and waiting we became the rest of our stuff.
Then, if somebody wants go to the pool and needs to use changing rooms, the spa reception need to get your room key as a deposit. When they returned me my key after swimming back, key didn't work, so I needed to go downstairs again and change the key to the new one. And nobody even apologized because of situation! I'm just wondering, what all of their employees, standing in hotel lobby are really doing trough their duty? I'd rather get the real Service, than 5 chinese girls standing in lobby and saying "Hello how are you" 5 times per day.
No thanks, even though rooms vere very good and breakfast excellent. In our case bad service destroyed all the impressions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lucky L
Dear Lucky L,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, it was indeed a pleasure to have you at Yas Island Rotana.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the Housekeeping and the Recreation team. With regards to the departure date and bed configuration, I know that the Front Office team unfortunately did not have the correct information prior to the group arrival, otherwise we would have certainly made the necessary arrangements.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again in order to experience the real level of service you can expect at our hotel; please feel free to contact me any time.

With best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoying the wonderful voice of Andrea Bocelli and his team at the Du Arena and staying at the Rotana Yas Island in one trip was a wonderful experience. This came as a package deal and it was wonderful. The breakfast the morning after was a delicious spread and we all enjoyed it. We will be back for more!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Duppie17,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for choosing Yas Island Rotana!

Please come again soon and visit us so you can try our wide variety of restaurants and facilities and to discover more of what Yas Island has to offer.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My last review 21 Nov 2012 - noted several areas for improvement. This time around it was 95% excellent. Different room (I had a corner room last time) was still good. Great attention to details - everything worked as it should. Staff were excellent and the buffet breakfast was the highlight of the stay again. Perfect place to stay for business and close to the other Yas Island hotels (walk across the road) that have a good mix of restaurants. - Love the Amerigos Bar at the Park Inn.

My only gripe and suggestion
Please designate a small smoking area for those that wish to smoke around the swimming pool. As a non-smoker, everywhere I went around the pool, even near the kids section had smokers. I ordered lunch to eat at a sun lounge and two people lit up beside me and spoiled the experience. Smokers are a minority, I respect their right to smoke, but give them a designated area and make sure they don't stray. Adds to everyone's enjoyment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear AlphaVictor2,

We would like to thank you for your valuable feedback and your contribution, we are honoured to be your favorite hotel on Yas Island.

Your compliments for the breakfast are very much appreciated, and I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

Additionally, you raise a very valid point about the smoking in public areas and around the pool, we will certainly look into it to improve all of our guests' experiences with us.

Please don't be long before you visit us again, it will be our pleasure!