“Landmark Mexican in AD”

El Sombrero
Ranked #272 of 2,151 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Spice up your nights with great Mexican food and lively South American music. Serving the authentic flavours of Mexico such as fajitas, chimichangas, tacos and enchiladas, El Sombrero is a firm favourite amongst Abu Dhabi's residents. Live entertainment: Sun - Fri. Happy hour: 6pm - 8pm, Mon - Wed.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This place has existed for so long it is actually a landmark of Abu Dhabi Sheraton hotel.

The decor of El Sombrero is very lacking, but the food and service make up for that.

Be sure to try the guacamole here!

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Sara A,

“El Sombrero” is indeed a landmark for Mexican food in Abu Dhabi and has managed through time to maintain its quality and friendly atmosphere.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience and we hope to welcome you again very soon

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Good atmosphere with a live Mexican band playing. Food quality was also good. Had the Combinada Mexicano and it was good. Made the mistake of having the Chimichanga last. Recommend both the restaurant and the dish, though it should be had: Taco, Chimichanga, Burrito

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review of “El Sombrero” our Mexican restaurant, Chef Rafael and his team are thrilled that you enjoying your dining experience.

The combination of the band and the overall festive atmosphere of El Sombrero makes it an ideal venue for a great evening with friends and I couldn't agree more when it comes to the food quality.

I do hope that we will soon welcome you again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Pretty much one of the best Mexican restaurant in Abu Dhabi. aside form the cuisine it self, the atmosphere along with the entire restaurant setting and music reflects a Mexican spirit.

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Mansour,

Thank you for your review of “El Sombrero” I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

You may rest assured that your comments have been shared with Chef Rafael and his team.

I hope that we will receive you soon again

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2014

It was my first time trying to eat Mexican in Abu Dhabi, I lived many years in Arizona so I am rather picky regarding Mexican food (at least the Americanized version).

Anyway El Sombrero was great for a night with friends.
We all loved the opening (free chips and dips), we shared a giant appetizers of Cheese nachos (GREAT GUACAMOLE!!!) and then we all had our own dishes.
Personally I went for the chimichangas, and they were DELICIOUS!
They had the option chicken or beef, and since I could not decide the waiters made me one of both!!!
So much I could not finish the plate (I do admit I'm a small girl, but I can eat). Even my boyfriends could not finish his huge fajita plate.

It was a Sunday nigh so I did not indulge in Margaritas, but I will come back for the Friday evening brunch :)

Anyway lovely place! First time eating at the Sheraton, I'm very pleased!
I'll try the other restaurants also :)

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Debbie,

Many thanks for your review of “El Sombrero” very pleased that you enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere.

We have many other restaurants and bars in the hotel and we will be pleased to welcome you very soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten Mexican in southern Arizona. This wasn't anywhere near!

How to screw up Mexican? Over charge and make the food taste like Italian!

You charge me over twenty bucks for beef tacos with what tasted like Italian sauce instead of salsa. Maybe the restaurant next for which is Italian got confused with the order.

The quesadilla were absolutely disgusting! We sent them back. Laden with lard. Where's the chicken?

Service was good, but then again there was no one here.

The Mexican rice was over cooked! Nothing about this meal was good.

Oh wait! the drinks were good!

Won't be back. Cannot recommend.

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about “El Sombrero” our Mexican Restaurant on Trip Advisor.

Needless to say I was highly disappointed and surprised while reading about your experience with us. As you may see from our Trip Advisor reviews we normally receive high praises for the food offered and our Mexican Chef puts a lot of efforts to ensure he delivers quality, traditional Mexican dishes as well as Tex-Mex options to our diners. Having dined in the restaurant on many occasions and having as well lived both in Mexico and in the USA I personally never had but good experiences there and I am disappointed that you felt otherwise.

We will review your comments with our Chef and try to understand what may have happened to ensure such an occurrence does not repeat itself.

I would like to invite you to try “El Sombrero” again and give us the opportunity to prove you that we normally always deliver a high quality experience to our guest’s and I remain at your disposal to assist you in making all arrangements personally and meet with you on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for the time taken to share your comments with us.

Yves