“Good Mexican food and good service”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #259 of 2,122 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Spice up your nights with great Mexican food and lively South American music. Serving the authentic flavours of Mexico such as fajitas, chimichangas, tacos and enchiladas, El Sombrero is a firm favourite amongst Abu Dhabi's residents. Live entertainment: Sun - Fri. Happy hour: 6pm - 8pm, Mon - Wed.
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We had dinner here last night and can really recommend it if you are in mood for Mexican food or want to go somewhere lively with a group of friends. It's a bit quiet and empty before 8pm but then it soon gets busy and with live music too. The food was really good, spicy and plentiful and the frozen margaritas were just what we were looking for. Would happily go here again.

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Emma,

Thank you for posting a review of our Mexican Restaurant “El Sombrero”!

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner and took advantage at our restaurant and that the ambience, once our Band “Los Hidalgos” started performing, became more lively and fun.

Our margaritas enjoy a solid reputation and it is good to know you were able to taste and enjoy the same.

Our new Mexican Chef just arrived from Mexico and he has already lined up and exiting plan of promotions for the months to come. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again to sample his creations and please do not hesitate to contact me for any future reservation.

Martin Cramer

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Booked a table for two.

Ordered homemade guacamole, which was ok. Would have been nicer if they could prepare the guacamole in front of you, as I was used to it from other mexican restaurants, adds a nice touch...

Beef Fajitas were ok, Taco bread was cold... I asked our waiter if its possible to have the beef fajitas medium rare or medium, he said that the chef usually cooks it well done... I insisted and the waiter recon firmed with the chef. It came medium.

Margarita cocktail was very well mixed and generous portion. The live music was good. The waiting staff was cold and not interested in their guests , I.e. 3 different staff came to our table and served us, or cleared, none of them said good evening, how are you, how was your meal ...that's sad...

Won't go back... Sorry guys :(

1  Thank Tobi1985
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Tobi 1985,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your recent experience in our Mexican restaurant.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us as much as we wish you would have. El Sombrero is a very popular venue and boast’s a very good reputation for the quality of food and friendliness of service. We obviously failed to deliver on this occasion and I am sorry for that.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly (yves.tarabout@sheraton.com) to discuss your experience further and ensure that any potential issues are clarified and if need be, rectified immediately.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and you may rest assured that this experience was an exception and certainly not the norm.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

One of the best restaurant in Abu Dhabi, food is amazing and the staff are friendly. There are almost two to three Mexican cuisine in Abu Dhabi. The restaurant is so clean and considered as 5 star restaurant. It has two different entrance, the first one is from out of the hotel and the second one is from the hotel. There is a Mexican band as well.

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Aziz,

Many thanks for your kind review of our Mexican Restaurant “El Sombrero”.

I am very happy that you enjoy visiting the restaurant as it is also one of my favorite in Abu Dhabi.

Your comments have been shared with our associates who take great pride in delivering a flawless experience to our guests.

We have recently welcomed a new Mexican Chef and I am pleased to see that he has already made his marks.

I hope to meet with you during a future visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We've been patrons of this restaurant for the past 5 years. Recently though we've had a hard time booking a table when we want it - and that says a lot about how popular the restaurant has become. We're not Mexican food experts at all, we've never even been to that part of the world, but we love this restaurant! The food is always fresh and the menu is extensive. We love the fajitas and the chicken with mole and the frozen margaritas are delicious. The wait staff are attentive and friendly, keep an eye out for Brian who has been at the restaurant for some time now - he makes a mean cocktail and his smiling face and welcoming conversation add to the warm atmosphere. The only negative (and maybe we are being picky here) is the place gets a bit on the chilly side, so take a shawl/jacket!

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Leebri,

Thank you for posting a review of “El Sombrero” our Mexican Restaurant on tripadvisor.

The restaurant is indeed one of my favorite in the hotel and boast excellent Mexican Specials.

It does get a little busy at times and it is recommended to make a reservation but we always try and accommodate our customers nonetheless.

Your comments about the restaurant team and Brian in particular have been well noted and will be shared with them

We are looking forward to receiving you again in the future.

Yves Tarabout
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

El Sombrero's Abu Dhabi.

A unique find in Abu Dhabi. I first heard of this place from word of mouth. Over a weekend went there twice. You need to book especially over the weekend.

The service is really good by any standards. In the Gulf you usually accept the mediocrity of ok service but I feel here is exceptional. Good by US standards.

The food is wonderful, tasty with clean presentation. The flavors are deep and will leave you wanting more. The portion sizes are more than sufficient. So much so that I opted out of the all you can eat option on Friday nights.

I think El Sombrero's has got the right balance. Good food, good service and a reasonable price. What more do you want. I highly recommend this place if I lived in Abu Dhabi I would definitely eat here regularly.

Martin_Cramer, General Manager at El Sombrero, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Travelora,

Many thanks for your kind review of El Sombrero our Mexican Restaurant.

There is not much more I wish to hear from a customer then what you have told us about the restaurant.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit should you pass by Abu Dhabi again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.