“A Great Weekend Get-away”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Abu Dhabi Yas Island
Ranked #51 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We are expat residents of Abu Dhabi , and made a spur of the moment decision to spend the weekend in a hotel in Yas Island . After browsing thru the net for the best hotel in the area, we had our heart set on Radisson Blu Hotel for the scenic view of the golf course and the Arabian gulf , as described in its website.

Upon arriving we were greeted by a friendly valet parking attendant to whom we have handed over the car keys. The lobby is stylish with a contemporary design, very spacious with lofty ceiling, and airy as enhanced by the glass curtain walls on both the entrance and the rear side. Checking in was a breeze, considering we had no prior booking, so we were in our room in no time.

The room interiors were just as elegantly-designed. I was actually surprised to find it more spacious than what the picture depicted. Furnishings are tasteful and comfortable, amenities are modern, complete with an LCD TV. The bathroom is likewise very roomy and contemporary. I was all the more thrilled with the balcony which indeed has an awesome view of the golf course, the sea, and the pool below. I actually feel guilty because we paid so much less than what it’s worth (it’s a lean-season rate).

To get the most of the pleasant late afternoon weather, we headed to the pool when it was near sundown. I loved the palm trees scattered along the edge of the pool. They don’t only give some shade, they also bring a breezy ambience, something you find only by the sea. We enjoyed swimming a lot, the water being neither hot nor cold, just enough to calm down our stressed nerves.

Iftar dinner at Assymetri is not very eventful, aside from being too crowded, the food is bland for our tastebuds. We retired to our room afterwards just to watch movies on TV as there aren’t too much to do in Yas Island . The streets are empty so walking by your lonesome selves isn’t so appealing.

We hit the pool once again the following morning and basked in the relaxing atmosphere for a while. Wished we can stay in the pool all day, but the mid-day heat will be ruthless, plus the fact we had to check out exactly at noontime.

We left with a heavy heart so to speak. Radisson Blu is absolutely a home away from home. The amenities are truly remarkable, and there’s something about the atmosphere which makes you feel at home. The staffs are very polite and cordial, never intrusive, as they let you go about your business with no one ogling you. But they are on their feet once you need them.

We’re definitely coming back, and we highly recommend Radisson Blu to the weary and stressed-out expats out there in Abu Dhabi .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elizabethlogan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,055)

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed just one night at the Radisson Blu while playing in a golf tournament at Yas Links. We were two couples, both on the same booking and both paying the same rate. One couple got a golf course/pool/sea view with a balcony, the other (us!) got a street view with no balcony. I could not understand why as I doubt the hotel was more than 10% full. We could have requested a move I suppose but we were only there for one night and had unpacked so stayed where we were. Staff were a mixed bag, junior staff were very friendly, polite and helpful, more senior staff were polite but aloof and some were completely clueless, quite typical of Middle East hotels.

The room was spacious and comfortable with all of the amenties you would expect. Bed very comfortable. Furnishings were a bit "Austin Powers" for my taste. Bathroom was fine apart from the shower screen which was too small and resulted in a flooded floor. A good selection of comfort amenities but surprisingly few towels and only one robe. This was corrected in just a few minutes after a call to housekeeping.

The Italian restaurant was average at best, in fact "average" is quite a compliment. The menu is very restricted and completely lacking in imagination. It is not immediately clear if main courses come with accompanying salad or sides (They don't) but when we asked the waiter we were informed that there was plenty of food in what we had ordered and we would not need any more. So my wife had a plate of prawns in tomato sauce, my friend had a breaded veal escalope, his wife and I had a slice of lasagne - and that was it. When we complained to the head waitress we were told that we should have ordered sides at the same time as our main courses! As I said, clueless. Wine was quite reasonably priced for the UAE and a reasonable selection available. The bar was empty and we never saw anyone in it the whole time we were there.

Breakfast was quite good but here was no pork to be had on the menu. This is not unusual in the Middle East, pork is "haram" after all but this hotel, like many others, tries to make up for it by offering chicken sausages and beef bacon as substitutes. Anyone who has ever tried these products will know what I am talking about, they are best avoided.

We tried to have lunch before checking out but were informed that the only food outlet open was the pool bar. (Nice pool by the way but the spa was nothing special) The person who told us this seemed genuinely puzzled that we did not want to eat outside in 46 degrees fully clothed. So no lunch for us. Checkout was uneventful and the bill was accurate.

The RB is roomy, comfortable and well-located for the Yas Links golf course (which is absolutely brilliant) and the F1 track and Ferrari World. If we go again I will eat somehwere else as the hotel's F&B service lets down an otherwise good establishment.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Last stay I was not impressed with the cleaning this time things had improved ... I suppose the fact that I filled in the customary net survey and pointed out this helped. Indeed the way the Management replied to my feedback was very positive - I got an email and this time I was upgraded and the guys who were cleaning were very good. (yes, I even got towel swans on my bed with rose petals which is rare in business hotels no)
Normally I bring my pillow but this is not necessary since the pillows are brilliant and just fluffy enought without being too clumsy.
There was a key issue this time that the reception staff somehow had great difficulties solving and they did not put any confidence in the poor girl attending the business area when she tried to get them to come up and fix the problem on my behalf - I had to show up in person at the reception ... The service in the business area onb 8th floor was good - plenty of fancy coffe and drinks as well as printer and a small meeting room.
This time I tried the restaurang at the sister hotel Park Inn which was good and the service very quick and attentive.
The taxi driver ripped me off coming from the airport even though I took a meter taxi. The price should be around 20-25 dirhams I found out but I was charged 50.
The golf course outside the hotel opened up for players and it makes the view very nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2010

The hotel is located opposite the new Ferrari World F1 racetrack and amenities, and is one of about 5 hotels all surrounding a round-about. It appears that the hotel is built specifically to cater for the annual F1 racers, and the occasional function that is held in the F1 facilities (such as the recent UFC fight). Therefore the only downside to staying at the hotel is the distance from the center of Abu Dhabi. However the highways leading to Abu Dhabi are absolutely fantastic - usually running at about 6 lanes wide with very little traffic - and so it only took me 20 to 25 minutes of driving time to get me to my meetings at Abu Dhabi mall. If you have your own transport (as I did) then this is the place to stay. If you rely on taxis then you are at the mercy of the quality of the taxi driver. I did notice that there are ample numbers of taxis waiting outside the hotel each day for passengers, and that they do use the meter. I took one taxi back from Abu Dhabi one night after a few drinks, and the fare was 41 dirhams.

The hotel is located right at the water's edge, so sitting by the pool (and it is a wonderful pool along with a bar) you get a lovely view at sunset over the islands. The breakfast is wonderful quality and variety. The service was excellent - although I guess this may be due to lower occupancy? I also used the gym and it was much better than the other hotels I've used.

Usually I stay in the Sheraton Khalidya, which can cost anything from US$350 to US$750 per night - and it doesn't have any of the ambience, quality or value that the Radisson Blu has. Noise was also a problem at the Khalidya, but sleeping was a dream (pun intended) at the Radisson Blu.

Definitely will be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
CraigBruceGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Abu Dhabi Yas Island, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2014

Dear collected,

Appreciate the review and glad you enjoyed your stay.

See you again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2010

I had gone to stay at Radisson Blu hotel with my collagues, we had got an inviation for complimentary stay from the hotel. Food is very good, swimming pool & gym facilities very good. Staff are helpful, it is worth for business travellers as well as honeymooners

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Dear fayaz-2007,

Thank you for the comments and look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

As a family returning from a holiday in Sydney, we found ourselves stranded in Abu Dhabi due to the volcanic ash from Iceland, which shut down European airspace. I can honestly say it was a lovely, relaxing experience and Etihad Airways and the Radisson Blu made all 300 "refugees" feel very welcome.

On arrival at Abu Dhabi and stranded in the UAE, Etihad Airpways supplied is with cold drinks at the airport and prioritised families ( like us) We were taken in an air conditioned minibus straight to the hotel. Check in was a little slow but bearing in mind the majority of staff are not UAE nationals, the language barriers were overcome and we were checked into a business class suite on the 7th floor.

The room was large with 2 queen size beds ( we are a family of 2 adults & 2 kids) a large, clean and well stocked bathroom, complete with robes and slippers. The coffee machine was space age but I managed to work it out. Our view over the balcony was terrific. We looked out over the new Yas Island links golf course and towards the Arabian Gulf. Sunrise pilates on the balcony was a must for me.

We were in receipt of a "snack voucher" as we arrived post dinner. This allowed us to order 4 club sandwiches, chocolate muffins, fruit and museli bars to the room at 3am. This was a lovely touch and went down very well with tired kids in transit.

Our first morning, we were delighted to open the curtains and see the fabulous view. At 6am the heat was already cranking up but in the room you are at a nice ambient 23 degrees due to the brilliant air conditioning system.

We ventured into reception and Etihad had set up a helpdesk with a representative from the airline there to put us all at ease. It became apparent that due to the shutdown of European airspace, we were going to have a surprise vacation in the UAE.

Food at the hotel is fabulous, lots of choice at the buffet from breakfast, lunch and dinner. The staff in the restaurant are so helpfull and efficient in guiding us through unfamiliar foods and drinks (very nice Arabian breakfast) There is a wonderful Indian waitress in the restaurant, I don't know her name but she was so nice, kind and gentle. She was working on our last evening (22 April) and we tipped her heavily to thank her for helping us all week.

Following our first meal, we hit the pool. A special mention to Alex from Kenya, the lifeguard who procured me sun shelters, loungers and fantastic beach towels from his hut everyday.

The pools (2) are fabulous, I could see them being thoroughly cleaned every morning fro my balcony. The heat is so intense that you need to keep dipping in to keep yourself from frying and they were kept bug free all day.

Jack in the pool bar makes fabulous Mojito's, Marguerita's and Cosmopolitan cocktails which are all served to you in good quality, stylish plastic glasses, which as a parent I appreciate.

Etihad airlines are truly the best in the world as during our stay we received 10 letters, updating us as to the postion of our flights home. They laid on a BBC Radio 2 DJ for a pool party, which was great, we all had cocktails and mixed like old friends. They also laid on free trips to the Grand Mosque, which is a must if you're in Abu Dhabi.

The spa is lovely and the treatments are reasonably priced and very, very good.

The hotel is very new and in a fantastic location near the new F1 racetrack. It is truly a world class resort. My only niggle is a member of staff who frogmarched me through reception in my bikini and sun dress to obtain my Visa card from my room. I had a D700 (c.£120) bar bill and no notification was given to me that I had exceeded any limit. I though this a little heavy handed.

In all the hotel is very nice, modern and clean I would go back again. But the true stars are Etihad airline, who I would choose over any other airline in future. They didn't have to put us up so royally but they made what could have potentially been a very stressful situation into a fantastic surprise break.

Abu Dhabi is fabulous. Having no previous desire to visit UAE, in future I will be giving serious consideration to visiting this lovely, friendly country again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Dear SamHawkins,

Thank you for the sincere comments.

Look forward to see you again.

Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed at this place for 10 days and after the third day everytime we came back to the hotel we said "Home sweet Home". That's how we felt about the place. The restaurant Assymetri is a good place to dine. The poolside bar is just great. The gym is superb. The spa is a wonder. And above all the staff are the most friendly you will ever find. The calm and serene atmosphere around the hotel with a view of the 18 hole golf course and the beautiful marina around it, this place is hard to leave at the end of your stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Dear SKSiva,

Appreciate your comments and look forward to see you again.