“Very good food in an exceptional environment!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Diwan L'Auberge

Diwan L'Auberge
Ranked #1,192 of 2,023 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Paris, France
“Very good food in an exceptional environment!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Had dinner by myself in this splendid restaurant while on a visit to Abu Dhabi. How could anything go wrong at the Emirates Palace? Dinner was good; service was great; the atmosphere was perfect. OK it's a little expensive, but where else can you dine with kings, and feel like one yourself? I had mezze that included asparagus salad, kibbe and hommous, followed by chichtaouk with saffron rice. But the pièce de résistance was the dessert: Mhallabiye pudding! Simply divine! Everything was washed down with a wonderful Lebanese red. Price 500 UAE Dirham. Afterwards I strolled the gardens and halls of the Emirates Palace and ended up in the lobby Café, where I had a wonderful after-dinner cappuccino topped off with sprinkles of 24k gold! I'll never forget this evening!

• Visited April 2012

Milano
“A good Lebanese in a phenomenal hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

The ambiance plays a big role in this restaurant, but food is good, especially their famous appetizers set mezzah, but also the grilled meat and fish, as usual in good Lebanese restaurants. Ask for a table outside when temperature allows, the nice garden and fountains will make you enjoying the food even more.

1 Thank lucabran
Paris, France
“Too high expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The reservation desk in the lobby was very cold. Very nice location in the garden facing the fountain and very good music player. Food very tasty but the service was very bad. In the Middle East usually you find very high level service but not here. A little bit overpriced.

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank Lolotto
London, United Kingdom
“Poor excuse for Lebanes food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

Went as thought it would be a romantice setting (in Emirates Palace Hotel) with good quality food.

Setting was quiet, with live music outside on the terrace. Not much of a view except the courtyard.

However, food was very overpriced and not authentic Lebanese tasting at all. My wife had to send her main course back, (mushroom and artichoke hearts), and my chicken shish tasted more like chicken tikka with an odd blend of spices. Tabbouleh came without any bulgur wheat, and tasted like an overpowering bowl of grass.

Waiting staff were not really bothered that my wife hadn't even touched her main course, and still put it on the bill, which included an automatic 6% tourist and 10% service charge.

Most expensive hotel in the world? Well they certainly haven't bothered with service or food...

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nashat75
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“For when you feel like splashing out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Diwan L’Auberge has a reputation for being an excellent Lebanese restaurant. But being in Emirates Palace I needed a special occasion to get me there to try it. I visited this restaurant in December 2009 with my partner. I am vegetarian but my partner is not.
On arrival we were shown to a large circular table with 6 chairs. I requested a smaller table more appropriate for a meal for two people. The restaurant was not busy and there seemed to be a lot of staff for the few customers. There are smoking and non-smoking sections and due to efficient air conditioning (i.e. cold) the smoke was not a problem.
The ceilings are high supported by tall marble pillars with chandeliers. Bright, white and airy. The atmosphere was a little cold and this was exaggerated by the cool but efficient staff (typical of Emirates Palace, which is not a friendly hotel).
There was an extensive menu with a wide choice of mezze and main dishes, both hot and cold (starting at 50 AED each). There’s also a wine list with a few wines by the glass available from 50 AED (including from Ksara winery in Lebanon) as well as spirits and Lebanese arak. The champagne options were impressive with prices going as high as over 3,700 AED per bottle. After reading that wine list all the food on the menu looked cheap.
I had a delicious creamy broccoli soup followed by mezze dishes of tabbouleh, falafel and halloumi cheese. My partner had a mixed seafood platter which included lobster, mussels, hammour, etc. He was very impressed. This platter would easily serve two people after soup and salad. There was the option of a set menu of 380 AED per head (++).
We had tried to explain that we wanted the mezze dishes to be served at the same time as the seafood platter so we could eat together, but the message didn’t get through, so I ended up trying to stretch out my food until my partner’s food arrived.
Complimentary items included olives, bread and pickles. We were also given baklava, Lebanese sweets and fruit free of charge for dessert. I was offered coffee instead (when I explained I could not eat these) but that was charged to our bill.
Diwan L’Auberge would be good for a romantic meal, special occasion or if you are trying to impress someone - apart from an English teacher ;) I say that because I could not believe was that such a high class restaurant had so many spelling mistakes in its English version of the menu!
Total cost was just over 800 AED including a large bottle of water and one glass of wine, service charge and taxes. The tip was extra.
Was it worth all that money? Maybe not, bearing in mind we could have eaten 10 times at Lebanese Flower for that price. But we did have very good quality food, generous portions, with efficient service and spotless, grand surroundings. So far as I am aware there is nothing else that comes close to it in Abu Dhabi.
Would I go there again? Yes, but infrequently, quite simply because of the very high price.

1 Thank ilovemiddleeast