“Terrible experience - watch out”

One to One Hotel - The Village
Ranked #75 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Cambridge UK
“Terrible experience - watch out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

I was asked by my Company to test this hotel out (having used the Beach Rotana for all our Clients and staff). Unfortunately the hotel decided to allocate me a room next to the night club which played loud thumping music until 02:45am (even after I complained three times and they were supposed to turn music off at 02:30am)

The reception could not move my room as the hotel was apparently full. My room wasn't even the nearest to the nightclub so I feel very sorry for the people who were!

So after a sleepless start to the night (I was out in AD working) I finally got to sleep after seeing the clock turn 4am - only to be woken up by the drains in the bathroom making horrendous gurgling noises as the person in the room above was using the shower.

I could not believe the noise - actually sounded as if they were in my bathroom!! Then whenever they flushed the toilet or used the tap I could hear all their water gurgling back up the drains in my room. The noise was unbearable.

Needless to say they have lost our business and I checked out in the morning. The reception manager was friendly enough but seriously, for a new hotel why have so many rooms right next to the club? It advertises itself as a business hotel - what a joke when you cannot relax or sleep.

Also, the layout is very weird - the rooms are a walk outside away from reception and there is no comfortable lounge or lobby. It seemed a rather unfriendly place with copious amounts of security guards (which makes me wonder why).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank TizzieBelle
OneToOneHotelManager, Hotel Manager at One to One Hotel - The Village, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We have read all your comments (issues we were already aware of during your stay).

The room you had stayed in had developed a plumbing problem that we were not previously aware of. We have since fixed the issue. As for the sound from the Night Club, we are in the process of working on a solution to isolate the sound from the 2 roooms (out of the 127 at the hotel) that are affected.

Your comments about the lounge, however, are inaccurate. We have ample lounge areas in the lobby as well as a "living room" in each villa cluster (15 of those) - my apologies that you weren't able to make use of them during your visit.

As for the Security Guards ; this is a requirement by law - a measure that we have welcomed with open arms in order to ensure the safety and security of all of our guests.

I know that my team has exhausted their efforts in trying to turn this around for you (including giving you a full complimentary stay as well as transportation). However, we are committed to making each and every guest happy - at any cost. So if there is anything at all, that I can do, to make things up for this unfortunate situation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Rabih Feghali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I'm a regular visitor in Abu Dhabi. This is the first time that my partner and I stayed in this hotel and to be honest I have had second thoughts about this hotel at first. The location was in a middle of a construction site and I was anticipating a few problems specially with transport. But, I have to say that we never had problems with taxis as the reception only needs a few minutes and voila...a taxi will be waiting for us at the gate. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room service was excellent. The food was great and good value for money. The pool,gym and health centre were all good. The hotel even offer salsa lessons!

The lay out of the hotel was very different from the other hotels I've been to.....a very good difference. I loved the clusters of accomodation with it's own reception area which gives a homey feeling. However there are quite a few improvements that needs to be addressed. Upon checking in it would have been nice to be greeted with a warm smile by the reception staff especially after a long and tiring flight. The lady who checked me in never smiled but managed to sort out my booking request. I have asked a few staff about the hotel but they were unsure of a lot of things that made me wonder if they received proper training/orientation. One night, I have had an allergic reaction to something I've eaten yet the reception were not able to provide me any anti-histamine or help and I needed to sort myself out.

The room we stayed in was very spacious with multiple wardrobe and a very nice toilet with tub. However, the toiletries were not supplied on a daily basis and no tooth brush/paste supplied. The bidet also leaked a bit. I nearly had an accident twice when I slipped on the floor because there was an area that was slippery near the bed side. Twice we had a late night and got woken up the next morning by staff asking for laundry. There was an available door sign for that so why wake us up????!

I will be planning my next visit in the next few months and would like to see some changes in this hotel should I decide to stay here again. I hope that my feedback will be taken constructively by the hotel management as I believe that if with few improvements, One to One Hotel will present a very good completition for the other hotels in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

Following my review of OneToOne Hotel earlier this week, I would like to share the positive turnaround that we experienced today.

The General Manager, Mr. Rabih Feghali took it upon himself to get everyone together and remedy the bad experience we had recently with the sales and booking team. He gave us a platform to air our discontent and frustration - with a view to finding a mutually satisfactory solution. We were able to have a face-to-face discussion with the team about what went wrong. We felt that our voices were heard and that our opinion as a customer mattered.

Mr. Feghali's compassion and leadership skills were evident and re-established our trust into OneToOne being the right choice for our wedding. At this point in time, we have no doubt that with Mr. Feghali at the helm, OneToOne can live up to its reputation as a warm and friendly hotel that is dedicated to customer service excellence. Today, we left the OneToOne Hotel looking forward to using it as part of our wedding experience. We will fill you in after the wedding on how the OneToOne Hotel contributed to making the wedding unforgettable. Stay tuned!

Stayed September 2009
1 Thank frimpoma
Greater Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

The One to One Hotel in Abu Dhabi was our last stay on the way back home after four weeks of travelling through Southeast Asia. It was a wonderful surprise.
We arrived in Abu Dhabi shortly after midnight and had a warm welcome by a member of staff at the airport. The transfer to the hotel took some 25 minutes in a spacious midsize car.
Check-in was very fast, very efficient, very friendly - and surprisingly different: we were driven to our room in a golf cart. Although late at night the member of staff delivered a detailed explanation of our room.
The room itself was located on ground floor, had a living room, a sleeping room and a big enough bathroom with a shower. Everything was perfectly clean and very inviting. The big flatscreen TV offered some 40 international channels.
Another plus: highspeed cable internet was complimentary! I'm so sick of being charged big bucks for this service that it deserves extra mentioning.
Once we ordered food through the room service, and it came fast, at a reasonable price and - as always in the One to One: with a smile.
Oh, yes, there was a pool on the top of each building. And we had it completely for ourselves for hours.
Finally, the buffet breakfast. Yummy! What a choice!
To cut a long story short:
We had a perfect stay and will certainly come back pretty soon.
Anyway, we found the stopover in Abu Dhabi so much more convenient than in Qatar. The visa on arrival is free, immigration is fast and the airport is new, nice and well organized (not so in Qatar!). So next time we have the choice between Ethihad, Qatar Airways or Emirates Abu Dhabi and the One to One will certainly make the race.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris_and_Jas
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

A true gem in the UAE. Unlike a typical hotel room or environment, you don’t get the sterile feeling but rather welcoming, warm, and friendly. The restaurant selections are just superb as are the quality of the cuisine. CUBES – the bar is a cool place to hang out. The bartenders there are just the friendliest and attentive and when you make it there, just make sure you hang around the bar to enjoy the show they put on.
The entire staff is ever so helpful and friendly. During my extended stay, they all took the time to know my preferences and made sure that the details were met – from how I like my eggs for breakfast, to my drinks, to how I like my room done. The rooms were just beyond spacious as were the bathrooms. One of the gems of the place is the “private” pool and pool deck on top of most buildings. It provided my colleagues and I a wonderful escape from the work environment where we could swim, chill, enjoy music, and even order room service.
Despite the high percentage of occupancy they enjoyed, we never once got the feeling that we were in a crowded, busy hotel. The managers – from the Front Desk Manager to the F&B Manager - were always on their toes to make sure our stay was pleasant and comfortable and always willing to offer their suggestions and recommendations for any of our questions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank StmpMyPsprt
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

One to One has been open almost a year, and I have had the pleasure of spending a majority of about half that time at this property. Our company has business in town and arranged long-term stay arrangements. So far, we have had 10 or so colleagues through (some for several months) and I've brought my family (wife and 12 yo daughter). Four words..."everyone loves this place."

I've read through some of the other reviews and have to think there are a few people you can just not make happy. Yes, early in our stay getting here was a little tough as taxis were unfamiliar. Now, every driver knows where it is because this gem is no longer hidden. As for waiting for taxis, at any time there are usually 3-10 taxis available, plus the hotel will either call you a taxi (which may take a few minutes at busy times) or offer you a ride in one of their hotel vehicles if you're in a rush. I've also noted a few people commented about the friendliness of staff. Really? I think it may be a "get what you give", or perception, issue because I have not found a more friendly - 100% of the time - staff anywhere. To qualify that, I am upper level/premiere status with quite a number of airlines, hotels and cruises.

We took a chance booking here, but the staff were not only welcoming, but endearing in their pre-arrival communications. Upon arrival at the airport, all our transfer arrangements were accomplished as promised. The rooms are wonderful and larger than your average hotel. Cleanliness? They clean your room twice a day (one normally, again on turn down service - yes, some places still provide that!)

Now, there are still some "newness" matters being sorted, and some newer staff are undergoing training, but any issues you may have are always met with a "let me fix that immediately" attitude. If you're just looking to get your room for free for an errant matter, well, you're on your own, because these people put their guests first.

The restaurants on site are wonderful. From the common to the extraordinary. The new pool area (just opened) with swim up bar is an instant hit. The Village Club outdoor dining (especially in slightly cooler weather) is a wonderful experience for friends to gather or for a romantic evening.

If you're worried about the location, admittedly there is little to nothing within walking distance. But for $2-8 USD, you can be most anywhere in the "tourist" area, and walk from there. (Try getting a cab in Manhattan to take you anywhere for $2.) Most locations in the city can be reached in 5-10 minutes.

Traveling with your family? This place is safe, clean, friendly and kids are welcomed. My wife and daughter had no worries, nor did I during their stay (and they're constantly asking to come back.) Business? Great amenities and some quality locations to entertain colleagues or clients. Quick get-away, its as quiet or lively as you wish to make it. There's a rockin' dance club, or a quiet massage (or both!) to meet your want. Room furnishings are modern/chic and bath amenities are quality (my wife keeps asking me to bring some home for her because they are so good.) The bed is a blessing to the weary traveller. Comfy, great linens/bedding and pillows galore.

If you absolutely must stay at a "name brand", knock yourself out. But I can't see twice the money for half the room and service. Take a chance, you will not be disappointed...except when you realise it's time to leave.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business