“Take a chance...you will not be disappointed”

One to One Hotel - The Village
Ranked #78 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Houston, Texas
“Take a chance...you will not be disappointed”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

One to One has been open almost a year, and I have had the pleasure of spending a majority of about half that time at this property. Our company has business in town and arranged long-term stay arrangements. So far, we have had 10 or so colleagues through (some for several months) and I've brought my family (wife and 12 yo daughter). Four words..."everyone loves this place."

I've read through some of the other reviews and have to think there are a few people you can just not make happy. Yes, early in our stay getting here was a little tough as taxis were unfamiliar. Now, every driver knows where it is because this gem is no longer hidden. As for waiting for taxis, at any time there are usually 3-10 taxis available, plus the hotel will either call you a taxi (which may take a few minutes at busy times) or offer you a ride in one of their hotel vehicles if you're in a rush. I've also noted a few people commented about the friendliness of staff. Really? I think it may be a "get what you give", or perception, issue because I have not found a more friendly - 100% of the time - staff anywhere. To qualify that, I am upper level/premiere status with quite a number of airlines, hotels and cruises.

We took a chance booking here, but the staff were not only welcoming, but endearing in their pre-arrival communications. Upon arrival at the airport, all our transfer arrangements were accomplished as promised. The rooms are wonderful and larger than your average hotel. Cleanliness? They clean your room twice a day (one normally, again on turn down service - yes, some places still provide that!)

Now, there are still some "newness" matters being sorted, and some newer staff are undergoing training, but any issues you may have are always met with a "let me fix that immediately" attitude. If you're just looking to get your room for free for an errant matter, well, you're on your own, because these people put their guests first.

The restaurants on site are wonderful. From the common to the extraordinary. The new pool area (just opened) with swim up bar is an instant hit. The Village Club outdoor dining (especially in slightly cooler weather) is a wonderful experience for friends to gather or for a romantic evening.

If you're worried about the location, admittedly there is little to nothing within walking distance. But for $2-8 USD, you can be most anywhere in the "tourist" area, and walk from there. (Try getting a cab in Manhattan to take you anywhere for $2.) Most locations in the city can be reached in 5-10 minutes.

Traveling with your family? This place is safe, clean, friendly and kids are welcomed. My wife and daughter had no worries, nor did I during their stay (and they're constantly asking to come back.) Business? Great amenities and some quality locations to entertain colleagues or clients. Quick get-away, its as quiet or lively as you wish to make it. There's a rockin' dance club, or a quiet massage (or both!) to meet your want. Room furnishings are modern/chic and bath amenities are quality (my wife keeps asking me to bring some home for her because they are so good.) The bed is a blessing to the weary traveller. Comfy, great linens/bedding and pillows galore.

If you absolutely must stay at a "name brand", knock yourself out. But I can't see twice the money for half the room and service. Take a chance, you will not be disappointed...except when you realise it's time to leave.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Having been in the high-end hotel business for 20 years and now a hotel developer, I am definitely more analytical than most travelers. However, I always aim to be fair and professional in my assessments.
As I have been based in Dubai for around 10 years, I am familiar with almost every decent hotel in the UAE . The One to One Hotel – The Village is indeed a “find” in Abu Dhabi where good quality reasonably priced hotels are almost non-existent. Looking at the architecture, it seems apparent that the Hotel buildings are a conversion from what were probably “townhouse-style" apartments. As far as the rooms are concerned, they seem to have done a most admirable job.

I arrived on a Friday for a one night stay.

The Rooms are certainly contemporary in a rather severely natural coloured palette. I may have been tempted just to add a splash of colour on even just one wall simply to break the space up just a little. Something as simple as some flowers in a vase would have done the job. I was given a Suite for a Summer Promotion price of AED750.00 (USD 205) +16% tax which, in Abu Dhabi, is very reasonable indeed. The Suite would have been the equivalent in size of a very small Junior Suite in a 4-5 star Downtown Hotel in the UAE.... nonetheless very comfortable. The bed, for my taste was a triumph! Supremely comfortable! 2 Flat-screen TV’s (bed and lounge) with an adequate channel selection although I would have liked a few more contemporary movie channels from Orbit or Showtime. Lounge furniture was a 2 seater sofa and 2 armchairs which we durable yet more than comfortable enough for several hours of TV viewing. The mini-bar fridge located in the bedroom dresser was a bit of a surprise instead of being in the Lounge with the Tea/Coffee facilities.
The bathroom was nice and spacious complete with bidet. The shower is in the bath which is a little small for us taller people. Temperature and pressure in the shower was great for the morning wake-up. Very nice amenities set on the vanity... a nice 5 star touch! Good towels of a size and “fluff” that most men would welcome although the robe was too small to be practical. A lack of windows makes the room a little dark during the day but, at night, the standing and table lamps give it a very welcoming atmosphere. Free broadband Internet was welcome in a city where EVERYTHING is normally chargeable. All in all, for the price, the rooms are comfortable, contemporary and well equipped. Again....”thumbs up” for the bed! Any guest would have to be unreasonably picky to find a complaint unless they were expecting a 5 star deluxe international Hotel... which the One To One does not pretend to be.

Food & Beverage Service - Brunch
Being at the hotel for only one lunch and dinner, I don’t propose to talk about menus and quality of the a la carte meals as I never saw them. However, when we checked in (at about 1.00pm) we were told at a very helpful Reception that we could enjoy a 50% discount at the buffet Brunch in the restaurants. It struck me as odd that Friday Brunch would be discounted so I qualified it with the Receptionist that the Buffet Brunch is AED55 each diner to which she agreed.
We went over to the restaurants (Asian Fusion, SteakHouse style and International Cuisine on 3 levels). At the Asian we were told that we could not dine as a reservation was required as they were fully booked. We got the same story at the Steakhouse. We then went down to the International on the ground floor as again we were asked as to whether we had a reservation. As I began to emit steam from my ears, a head waiter rushed up and escorted me to “the emergency table held for unusually difficult guests”. We then had a discussion about the price of the buffet and apparently, the Receptionist was misinformed and that there were, as I had initially suspected, indeed no discounts at Friday Brunch. The head waiter once again came to the rescue by meeting me half way with a 50% on one of our two meals. Mollified, we got down to the meal which, considering that it was buffet, was really very good. I think that the choices could have been a little wider (especially in the Asian hot food section) but what there was well presented and well cooked. Given all the praise in earlier revues, I am not going to speculate on the night-time a la carte dining but, judging, from the Friday Brunch, the indications are that previous reviewers are justified in their praise.

Food & Beverage Service – Room Service
Learning from the lunch experience at 6.30pm we tried to make reservations in the Wokano, 18oz & Shariye restaurants only to be told by all three that they were fully-booked with no possibilities for that evening. So much for a nice gentle evening meal!! We had been out and about in AD all day so we settled on 24/7 Room Service. The 24/7 menu is huge on Breakfast and not much else apart from Burgers and Pasta. I placed an order for two dishes each and was told 25 minutes for delivery which was fine considering it was Friday. 85 minutes later it arrived... COLD! I ordered plate of Quesadillas but what I received has nothing to do with a Mexican Quesadilla apart from the triangular shape. The Room Service meals are delivered in a Takeaway cardboard box with no cutlery at all, which when staying in a Suite was a little surprising. I could go on but I won’t. Based on our experience .... avoid the room service!

Conclusion
Modern, chic, comfortable, well-equipped, quiet, very well-priced, courteous and welcoming. All in all, definitely well worth a visit although some of the Food & Beverage coordination could do with a little tweaking which can be expected in a new boutique style hotel. However, make sure that you make restaurant reservations for your day of arrival prior to arriving (especially on Fridays).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Broaders