“Great Hotel in a very average city”

Al Manzel Hotel Apartments
Ranked #61 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Sydney
“Great Hotel in a very average city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Very friendly approachable greeting on arrival, the receptionist came out to let me in as I was struggling with the revolving door, check in was fast and informed of the complimentary breakfast served in the restaurant on the mezzanine level.
I had a great deal from Agoda which gave me a room on the Executive floor Room 1712, which included Breakfast, Butler service, complimentary shoe polishing, free pressing of a suit or dress per day, upgraded bathroom amenities, bathrobe as well as DVD/CD player, the butler service was difficult to use due to language differences, I called and asked for my shoes to be picked up for polishing as well as my suit to be pressed, I spoke to someone with an Arabic accent and by the end of the day, nothing had happened, the next day on the way out I asked reception if this could be handled and of course were very obliging, but again through the language barrier, I returned at the end of the day and found a shoe cleaning sponge left for me on the kitchen bench and my suit and shoes still on the coffee table, the next day I tried again and gave the suit and shoes to the housekeeper after calling again and after this someone else arrived using the term Valet, the easy thing here is to train the staff to use one term for the product, they use the word Butler in the hotel directory as well as the website but in practise they seem to use the french term, considering most of the staff are from the Phillipines, this must get confusing.
The inclusive breakfast was very good and adequate, something to suit most tastes as well as covering religious requirements, so you won't starve, each day I had a nice fresh omlette and the side items on the buffet changed daily and the staff remebered who you were as well, this was such a nice touch at breakfast you can be very invisible. I also liked the fact that they gave you a jug of hot milk with your pot of coffee.
The pool and staff were great, it was heated beautifully and the depth varied from 1 metre to 1.6 metres, it was perfect for me. I asked if they would mind if I used to shower facilities on day of departure to change before heading to the airport, the response was of coures Sir, so many hotels will end all services after you check out with the exception of baggage storage, apart from not having the room, I felt like I had not actually checked out.
On day of departure, check out was at 12.00 midday annd due to an Airline schedule change I had to leave 12 hours later and my baggage was stored while I went out and finished my shopping, when I came back to the hotel early and took a place on the lounges in the lobby the young concierge recognised me and started to get my luggage ready, so I had to tell him I wasn't being picked up until 6pm, so he sent it back to storage, this again came back to excellent customer recognition.
As for the shower facilities at the roof top pool, it was excellent, very large facilities that were no different to your hotel room, which after a day of sightseeing and shopping it was nice to leave the hotel clean and fresh for a long haul flight in a suit back to Sydney.
One strange quirk in staying here was that looking through the hotel directory, they asked that Guests do not bring food into the hotel, but this is an Apartment hotel, with a full kitchen, in each room, something I found very odd, but it did say reception could explain, I did not seek the explanation though, I did bring in some cheese, crackers and juice.
The one big thing I think the hotel needs to advise customers, is that this property is a "Dry Hotel", not uncommon here, but when your room lists as having a mini bar, you can get a wrong impression as I did. Overall I had a really nice 4 night stay as the end of my trip to the UAE, the staff are wonderfull, I wish they were here in Australian hotels

Room Tip: Look for a deal on the Executive floors
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Airline_GuySydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
Wiesbaden, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for only one night last week on the last night of our trip. We were attracted by the reviews on TripAdvisor and the great price. The rooms are huge and modern with a kitchenette. The room rate included wifi for one device, but the hotel was staff was nice enough to give us access through our other devices as well. The breakfast was very good and even included an omelette station. Very few places in Abu Dhabi are actually close to one another, but this hotel is in walking distance to the Abu Dhabi Mall where you can catch the hop on hop off bus. Overall this hotel was a great option for us coming in under a 100 Euros with wifi and breakfast. A great budget option in this city, but with all of the comforts you won't know that it is a budget option.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mgarc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this great hotel. Very nice staff. We needed an extra bed. It was rather hard.
We got upgraded so that was very nice. The location is great. We were near Abu Dhabi Mall and got on the hop on hop off bus. Best way to see all the sights!
Taxis are cheap so we took on to a great restaurant Lebanees Mill.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Al Manzel for a long weekend as a base during the Formula 1 (as all of the hotels on Yas Island were booked or too expensive).

As an F1 base it worked really well. Taxis are plentiful and cheap (around AED80, £14, to the circuit) so we didn’t bother with the buses that apparently went from the nearby Mall. Getting back was no problem either as they had fields full (literally) of taxis waiting after the concerts and you could save the 17AED ‘event’ pick up surplus if you got the free shuttle to one of the car parks where more taxis awaited. The only problem we had is that drivers were not always aware of the location of the hotel so taking a small map or having one on the phone helped.

The hotel wasn’t in the most picturesque of areas in terms of the quality of surrounding facilities / buildings but from what we saw of Abu Dhabi it seemed fairly typical and it always felt safe. It did have a few bars (the 49ers bar for example) and a KFC and other food outlets nearby too if that is what you fancy after a day at the races!

Another negative was the cost of the wifi (so much we didn’t bother). The breakfast too wasn’t the best we’ve had but on the positive side it was served by very helpful, friendly staff.

That is it for negatives though. For the price paid this hotel was a real bargain. The staff were as good as you get, always helpful and very friendly with a real emphasis on service. Our ‘standard’ room was much bigger than expected for the price paid too, with 2 bathrooms, a large separate sitting room, a fridge, cooker, safe, iron … in short, a well-equipped, clean and comfortable place to stay. To add to that there was a small outdoor pool area and gym at the top of the hotel, both clean and well staffed.

In summary then, this hotel had a few minor negatives but for the price paid and for the service we received it was well worth the money. We would certainly return there if in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in an executive one bedroom apartment. Checked in at 1am with no issues. Staff promptly delivered a crib to our room for our baby. The apartment was large and clean. Beds were comfortable. Kitchen was well equipped and water, tea and coffee was refilled daily.
Roof top pool was nice but small. Good breakfast. Very friendly staff. Easy walk to the mall.
Would definitely go back if I was in AD again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ald78
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel around June into September 2013, at least I spent about 3 weeks every time I come in town.
Perfect location, downtown area, very helpful and friendly staff.
As a long term guest, after my first visit and know some of the friendly staff, it made me feels like home. It is also plus for me as some of the staff speaks Bahasa Indonesia.

Room are very big and its fully furnished also provide you kitchenette (if you'd like to cook). Most of the time I prefer to have room service as they have special daily set menu which is good deal.
Don't worry about Laundry, as every room (even the studio room) has their own washing machine.
Close with the famous Abu Dhabi mall (about 5-10 mins walk), also some places in the downtown.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JetPlanes_n_Hotels
Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Perfect location. Very helpfull staff. Big and clean rooms. A small swimming pool at the rooftop wich is clean. The wifi connection in the rooms works good. We stayed 5 nights here and it was wonderfull. I highly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family