Afamia Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We wisited this hotel in August 2010. I'ts a while ago but we still remember the friendly staff who helped us when we had some stomach problems. The rooms are basic, but very good value and clean enough. It's a short walk to old town and the railway station is on the other side of the road. We unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to try the breakfast. The place felt quiet and secure although it was situated in a busy part of the city.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights during a 3 week swing of the middle east. This place is decent. Location is about a 5-7 min walk from the main gate of the Old City. The insides of the hotel is a bit faded but the rooms themselves are decent. Small and basic, but relatively clean. For some strange reason, the ceiling in the bathroom is very low so if you're a taller person you may have to hunch over. Front desk and reception were relatively helpful but they won't go out of their way to help you.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank hdt99
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Not sure if my standards are too high, but I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The reception area looks like a cheap restaurant, the hallways are dim, the carpets, both inside and outside of the rooms is filthy, the furniture is extremely worn out, the sheets smelled clean but looked tired, and the pillows are so worn out they felt like mushrooms. I actually placed the bathroom towel on the bed because of sanitation issues. Stayed one night but only because I had to and it was too late in the evening to find an alternate.

The only good point is the location. It is definitely not worth even a fraction of the 40 Euros they charged me, never again I say!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank BaselLondon
Reviewed December 15, 2010

For what you pay this is one of the better hotels in a good location, 20 minutes walk from the main souq in Damascus. The room I had was box like with a 5.5 foot doorway in to the bathroom (watch your head). I am told there are better rooms - ask for the superior rooms.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The hotel doesn't look nice from the outside, and you can mostly see parking cars from your room, but the rooms are very nicely renovated, staff is helpful and the hotel is located in the centre of Damascus. Altogether this is a good choice if you're looking for a mid-range hotel in Damascus.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family