“Actually not that bad”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Sheraton Damascus Hotel
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Damascus
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have visited Damascus a number of times and struggled to find a hotel I was happy with (previously tried the Cham Palace, Dedeman and some apartment hotel). I had avoided the Sheraton based on the reviews, but I can say that it is not as bad as the other reviews make out, and it is now my preferred choice. Wish I'd tried it earlier.
I'll admit that it isn't up to Sheraton standards in say Jordan, or even the Sheraton in Aleppo, but by Syrian standards it is pretty good. Rooms were definitely acceptable, even if the tiles in the bathroom were a little crazy. Breakfast is pretty good, and better than all the other hotels I've stayed at in Syria. The gym is a little small and equipped basically, but it is better than nothing and it is useable - and no having to wait for equipment as you will be lucky if you see another person in there!
There is a bar in the hotel, which by UK terms would be awful, but in Damascus terms is the best I've found so far!
Not the best Sheraton out there by a long way, but the best hotel that I've found in Damascus. OK, location may not be ideal for tourists, but if you are here on business you shouldn't have too many complaints. I will be booking it again for my next trip in March, so that's as good an endorsement as you can get.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Keef74
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thanks alot for your comment about our Hotel, which is realy appreciated and encourages us to improve our services more and more. looking forward to welcoming you again in the Sheraton Damascus Hotel

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed here with friend for New Year trip to Damascus.

decent clean rooms, though old furniture
hotels well known in the city,everybody can direct you towards it
staff ok; could improve some english
highly expensive (as compared both with other hotels and with service quality)
poor facilities
disturbing and unfriendly hotel policy (e.g.: had to check our early morning after NYE to catch a flight; came to reception evening of 31st to pay for everything and settle the bill; they have asked about the mini bar, we cleared that issue too and finally settled the bill after 20mins-hay had poor internet connection and credit card payment took a while-; next morning, we hurried to leave and catch the flight; handed over key room and again they asked about the mini bar; we confirmed that we did not take anything above the settled bill and this is why we came last evening to settle as now we are in a hurry; INCREDIBLY, they kept us there for another 15minutes to check for the mini bar!!!!!!!!! Sheraton!!!! You think after i am paying you 200euros for a room, i am a SPG member and you have my credit card details i would steal you a water from the mini bar and run away with it??????? And even so- which is not the case - would that make it a disaster for you to such extent to humiliate your customers?????!!!!!)

Old hotel, not renewed due to the fact they seem not to own it, a big disappointment!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Dear Jinks_eng,

First of all, I would like to thank your detailed feedback which is very valuable for us in developing and improving our services.
Your both comments wither positive or negative are highly appreciated, we have well noted that we need to improve our services regarding internet and Mini Bar Billing.
please be sure that we are currently working on these subjects.

Finally should you have any future stays please don’t hesitate to contact me personally to assure you a memorable one

Warm regards

Reviewed November 11, 2010

My heart sank once I read the reviews here, cos we just went ahead & booked based on the Sheraton brand. Could'nt cancel so we prepared ourselves for the worst .

We had a pretty good experience and are happy we chose Sheraton. The Hotel is a 45 min walk and 100SP taxi ride from the Al Hamdiya souk entrance. Its located in a nice part of town, though the presence of armed guards on the streets can be a little unnerving.
The staff seem to try hard, and mostly get it right. Though they were so busy serving coffee to various traffic policemen that we didnt get a welcome drink, and there was just one person on shift at reception to handle the 8 or 9 guests waiting. She was however very competent, calm and pleasant.
Each SPG gets 45 min a day free internet @ the Link centre in the Lobby.
Our deal included breakfast which was a pretty good spread with a mix of Middle Eastern and European food. I was surprised to see bacon and Ham on offer.
The room was spacious and thankfully there were no weddings during our stay. Rooms were clean but could definitely use a little attention - nothing that a good carpenter, painter and and plumber couldnt fix in 30 min, I do wish they would try. The small cracks in the wooden shutters and the lack of a curtain pelmet werent a big deal - just not Sheraton quality and they DO let a bit of the bright Syrian sunlight in a little too early. The bathroom door wouldnt shut completely, the taps were a little too hard to work, and I was so tempted to go out and buy a tin of polish, and walk around the room dabbing a little here and there on the woodwork.
There was a working Hair dryer which was functional and funny. It looked ANCIENT ! I havent seent that model ever, I wouldnt be surprised if it hasnt been changed since the hotel opened in 1980. But it did its job and made me laugh too. If you have a serious hair styling routine I would suggest you bring your own.
Anyway, none of this really bothered us cos we went prepared for much worse.
We had tried the restaurant Luigi Yamamoto - yes they serve Italian and Japanese at the same location - and liked the food.
I used the laundry service and they were satisfactory and on time.
The staff - bell boys, waiters, reception were very pleasant and we managed with English and a bit of sign language. They had a map of the city available at the bell desk.
All in all it was a good experience though I agree the hotel is not maintained to the usual Sheraton standards.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Carsickbutcurious,

i would like to thank your nice & detailed feedback about your stay in Nov 2010. it was a pleasure to know that you found more than what you expected as services, and we would like to inform you that your positive comments regarding the italian restaurant, breakfast and the laundry will be shared with our managers.
we have also worked on your comments of the room decoration details and we will properly address them .

looking forward to welcome you again in 2011 st Sheraton Damascus Hotel

with our warm regards

Alia

Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had a very nice stay at the Sheraton Damascus. I was upgraded to the club floor and the room while not luxurious was certainly on par with many Sheratons I have visited in Canada and the US. Everything was clean and there was a safe, robe, nice TV, etc. Staff we welcoming and courteous and handled all requests very efficiently. Good internet connectivity in room and in the lounge. The old city as about a 30 minute walk or a 200SYP taxi ride away so it is convenient if you are looking for business class hotel in Damascus.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Pilschwab,

first of all thanks on the behalf of the entire team of Sheraton Damascus hotel for your precious compliments about the Hotel and services, and please rest assure that we always remain at your service.

warm regards

Administrative Assistant To GM

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Good location for business trip.

Easy access by car close to the big circle traffic.
Good and professional service during the entire stay at the hotel.

Rooms are clean and of sufficient size to spent some time in the room.

Good breakfast and several bars in the hotel. Very good business centre providing all you need for works.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Dear KochRa,

Thanks alot for your nice compliments which really make us proud of our Hotel and services. and we do always remain at your service.

looking forward to welcome you again in Sheraton Damascus Hotel

warm Regards

Administrative Assistant to GM

Reviewed October 18, 2010

This Hotel is very Old and the furniture seems to be the same from 1978 when they open the hotel ( only the TV in some rooms were repalced by modern one)
The staff were normal and going slowly (we request the maintenace 3 times before they arrived from last floor to 2nd floor it took 45 minutes!)
No facility at hotel and nobody has the normal information about city , all the feedback we got were wrong or not logic to what we ask.
Many other hotels are in the city are availble and can be used instead
For starwood Member you will be surprised when you found that the reception team don't know anything about the membership in this program and they will look to your Member ID with Astonishment ( what is this?!) until they check with front desk superviser.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant To GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Dear Ginola95,

First of all thanks alot for your appreciated comments. we have well noted your disappointment regarding the maintenance service, and front desk lack of knowledge regarding SPG and information of the City.
please be sure that those issues will be shared with the appropriate managers in order to reach effective improvements.

with our best regards

Administrative Assistant to GM

Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed in the Sheraton Damascus a while back. It was a very disappointing stay, lots of things that just weren't up to standard. Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful, others however were as bad as I've come across anywhere.

Some of the things that happened were just mildly irritating (like the front desk person who insisted we hadn't returned a charger we had borrowed) but an appalling incident occurred at check out whereby the receptionist mislaid the receipt, became convinced we had taken it for some bizarre reason, and instructed the driver not to take us to the airport. We got it sorted out eventually but it was pretty off the scale in terms of how I've been treated in any of the hotels I've ever stayed in. And yet it was in keeping with the general attitude in the hotel.

There seemed to be lots of other hotel options in Damascus. It's an amazing city, and outside of the hotel the people we met were unbelievable - they were friendly and helpful and really made the whole trip amazing - so we will hopefully return some day. But it won't be to the Sheraton.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dumplanders

Dear R&M Dublin,

First of all many thanks for your feedback, which is very helpful for us as it leads to the shortages which should be avoided and to make sure never to occur again with any of our valued guests.
And kindly be informed that our entire team is willing to have you with us again to show you the difference in all aspects to keep only the good memories about the Hotel and the city in General.

We always remain at your disposal
Warm regards

Alia Assadiah

Been to Sheraton Damascus Hotel? Share your experiences!