Sheraton Damascus Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed there for a few days with my family. Bottom line, great hotel, great food, great staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2011

Dear our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for your nice comments about our Hotel , Service and Staff which are really a high credit for us and we do appreciate.

we remain always at your service

and we look forward to welcome you again and again at the Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed May 30, 2011

One of the reasons I stay at chain hotels when I travel is because there is a certain standard to expect from them, this hotel really is no different. Despite the rather out of place location, it makes up well for it in service.
Having missed my flight to Tokyo I asked my driver to recommend a place for me to stay, he recommended this hotel (I think it was because he was an out of towner and this was the first name that came to his mind).
The building itself is quite old, it's been renovated many times and it shows, nothing really unpleasant though. You have to pass through a checkpoint to get in but it isn't much of an inconvenience if you look like a business traveller. Checkin is quite interesting as they don't have a counter to check people in but rather a line of desks where you can check in and sit down while they are sorting you out. I got a nice upgrade to a suite but it was quite old and that's the only reason I'm giving the rooms a 3 star rating. I was quite tired but it was interesting to get a call from their service manager who came to visit me and see if there was anything they can do to make my stay better. I explained to him about my missed flight and he took it upon himself to call QR and reschedule me... unfortunately the next three flights were full so I was sort of stranded in Damascus.
This is where service does make a difference, as he called me back to let me know this and when I voiced my frustration at the matter I got a lovely basket of fruit... (it wasn't their fault but the gesture was much appreciated). I flopped down to sleep (it was REALLY hot outside) and when I woke up decided to order room service...
Take your time to get to know the local culture if you ever visit Damascus. It is very colorful and the cuisine is no exception. I ordered one item meant as a "traditional dinner" and got a 7 course meal on 3 carts... WOW was I impressed. Their prices aren't that bad either... But... much to my annoyance, there was no internet so I couldn't write ahead without going to the business center.
I ended up staying at this hotel for 3 more nights, the people are friendly, tips are much appreciated, and it's easy to forget you're sitting in the oldest city in the world...
A great experience and highly recommended...

Room Tip: Away from the exits, the doors bang loudly
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear our valued Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your precious time spent in writing us your detailed feedback, which we really appreciate.

It was our pleasure that you chose us when you missed your flight which gave us the opportunity to indulge you with our services, and as you said, Damascus is truly the oldest city in the world, but in our Hotel we always try to convey the mixed gesture between modernity and antiquity.

Regarding your remark about the internet, we do promise to let you feel more comfortable while using this service in your next stay.

We remain at your disposal should you need any further assistance

Best regards

Alia Assadieh
Administrative Assistant to GM of Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2011

The hotel personnel were mostly pleasant and helpful. They provided needed assistance when I learned - shockingly - that the US government would not allow me, as a US citizen, to withdraw money from any ATM. The room was comfortable. The public areas were "dowdy" but serviceable. I stayed two nights, the second at the Club level, a very pleasant experience.. The lounge decor was especially attractive, and the host was very gracious and welcoming. The best part of my visit to Syria was my driver, Jawad (www.driverjawadinsyria.com), who sent a driver to get us at the Dead Sea, then drove us himself to Palmyra, Aleppo, and back to Damascus. He was an excellent driver, but so much more. He found us wonderful food at reasonable prices, helped us plan our itinerary before we got there, found a fine guide at Krak des Chevaliers, gave us advice on spending our free time. We are so glad we added an independent extension to Syria on to our group tour of Jordan.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank artichokeannie
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant To General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all let me thank you for your precious time dedicated to write us your feedback. It is our pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay in our warm cozy Hotel, and that you were indulged by our nice staff & services.
moreover we are extremely happy that even your outside Hotel Tour was enjoyable for you.

We always remain at your kind disposal & we look forward to welcome you again at Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Warm regards

Alia Asadiah
Administrative Assistant To GM
Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have visited Damascus a number of times and struggled to find a hotel I was happy with (previously tried the Cham Palace, Dedeman and some apartment hotel). I had avoided the Sheraton based on the reviews, but I can say that it is not as bad as the other reviews make out, and it is now my preferred choice. Wish I'd tried it earlier.
I'll admit that it isn't up to Sheraton standards in say Jordan, or even the Sheraton in Aleppo, but by Syrian standards it is pretty good. Rooms were definitely acceptable, even if the tiles in the bathroom were a little crazy. Breakfast is pretty good, and better than all the other hotels I've stayed at in Syria. The gym is a little small and equipped basically, but it is better than nothing and it is useable - and no having to wait for equipment as you will be lucky if you see another person in there!
There is a bar in the hotel, which by UK terms would be awful, but in Damascus terms is the best I've found so far!
Not the best Sheraton out there by a long way, but the best hotel that I've found in Damascus. OK, location may not be ideal for tourists, but if you are here on business you shouldn't have too many complaints. I will be booking it again for my next trip in March, so that's as good an endorsement as you can get.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Keef74
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thanks alot for your comment about our Hotel, which is realy appreciated and encourages us to improve our services more and more. looking forward to welcoming you again in the Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed here with friend for New Year trip to Damascus.

decent clean rooms, though old furniture
hotels well known in the city,everybody can direct you towards it
staff ok; could improve some english
highly expensive (as compared both with other hotels and with service quality)
poor facilities
disturbing and unfriendly hotel policy (e.g.: had to check our early morning after NYE to catch a flight; came to reception evening of 31st to pay for everything and settle the bill; they have asked about the mini bar, we cleared that issue too and finally settled the bill after 20mins-hay had poor internet connection and credit card payment took a while-; next morning, we hurried to leave and catch the flight; handed over key room and again they asked about the mini bar; we confirmed that we did not take anything above the settled bill and this is why we came last evening to settle as now we are in a hurry; INCREDIBLY, they kept us there for another 15minutes to check for the mini bar!!!!!!!!! Sheraton!!!! You think after i am paying you 200euros for a room, i am a SPG member and you have my credit card details i would steal you a water from the mini bar and run away with it??????? And even so- which is not the case - would that make it a disaster for you to such extent to humiliate your customers?????!!!!!)

Old hotel, not renewed due to the fact they seem not to own it, a big disappointment!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Dear Jinks_eng,

First of all, I would like to thank your detailed feedback which is very valuable for us in developing and improving our services.
Your both comments wither positive or negative are highly appreciated, we have well noted that we need to improve our services regarding internet and Mini Bar Billing.
please be sure that we are currently working on these subjects.

Finally should you have any future stays please don’t hesitate to contact me personally to assure you a memorable one

Warm regards