“International service with local touch”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Sheraton Damascus Hotel
Ranked #4 of 60 Hotels in Damascus
Reviewed May 30, 2011

One of the reasons I stay at chain hotels when I travel is because there is a certain standard to expect from them, this hotel really is no different. Despite the rather out of place location, it makes up well for it in service.
Having missed my flight to Tokyo I asked my driver to recommend a place for me to stay, he recommended this hotel (I think it was because he was an out of towner and this was the first name that came to his mind).
The building itself is quite old, it's been renovated many times and it shows, nothing really unpleasant though. You have to pass through a checkpoint to get in but it isn't much of an inconvenience if you look like a business traveller. Checkin is quite interesting as they don't have a counter to check people in but rather a line of desks where you can check in and sit down while they are sorting you out. I got a nice upgrade to a suite but it was quite old and that's the only reason I'm giving the rooms a 3 star rating. I was quite tired but it was interesting to get a call from their service manager who came to visit me and see if there was anything they can do to make my stay better. I explained to him about my missed flight and he took it upon himself to call QR and reschedule me... unfortunately the next three flights were full so I was sort of stranded in Damascus.
This is where service does make a difference, as he called me back to let me know this and when I voiced my frustration at the matter I got a lovely basket of fruit... (it wasn't their fault but the gesture was much appreciated). I flopped down to sleep (it was REALLY hot outside) and when I woke up decided to order room service...
Take your time to get to know the local culture if you ever visit Damascus. It is very colorful and the cuisine is no exception. I ordered one item meant as a "traditional dinner" and got a 7 course meal on 3 carts... WOW was I impressed. Their prices aren't that bad either... But... much to my annoyance, there was no internet so I couldn't write ahead without going to the business center.
I ended up staying at this hotel for 3 more nights, the people are friendly, tips are much appreciated, and it's easy to forget you're sitting in the oldest city in the world...
A great experience and highly recommended...

Room Tip: Away from the exits, the doors bang loudly
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear our valued Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your precious time spent in writing us your detailed feedback, which we really appreciate.

It was our pleasure that you chose us when you missed your flight which gave us the opportunity to indulge you with our services, and as you said, Damascus is truly the oldest city in the world, but in our Hotel we always try to convey the mixed gesture between modernity and antiquity.

Regarding your remark about the internet, we do promise to let you feel more comfortable while using this service in your next stay.

We remain at your disposal should you need any further assistance

Best regards

Alia Assadieh
Administrative Assistant to GM of Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2011

The hotel personnel were mostly pleasant and helpful. They provided needed assistance when I learned - shockingly - that the US government would not allow me, as a US citizen, to withdraw money from any ATM. The room was comfortable. The public areas were "dowdy" but serviceable. I stayed two nights, the second at the Club level, a very pleasant experience.. The lounge decor was especially attractive, and the host was very gracious and welcoming. The best part of my visit to Syria was my driver, Jawad (www.driverjawadinsyria.com), who sent a driver to get us at the Dead Sea, then drove us himself to Palmyra, Aleppo, and back to Damascus. He was an excellent driver, but so much more. He found us wonderful food at reasonable prices, helped us plan our itinerary before we got there, found a fine guide at Krak des Chevaliers, gave us advice on spending our free time. We are so glad we added an independent extension to Syria on to our group tour of Jordan.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank artichokeannie
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant To General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all let me thank you for your precious time dedicated to write us your feedback. It is our pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay in our warm cozy Hotel, and that you were indulged by our nice staff & services.
moreover we are extremely happy that even your outside Hotel Tour was enjoyable for you.

We always remain at your kind disposal & we look forward to welcome you again at Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Warm regards

Alia Asadiah
Administrative Assistant To GM
Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have visited Damascus a number of times and struggled to find a hotel I was happy with (previously tried the Cham Palace, Dedeman and some apartment hotel). I had avoided the Sheraton based on the reviews, but I can say that it is not as bad as the other reviews make out, and it is now my preferred choice. Wish I'd tried it earlier.
I'll admit that it isn't up to Sheraton standards in say Jordan, or even the Sheraton in Aleppo, but by Syrian standards it is pretty good. Rooms were definitely acceptable, even if the tiles in the bathroom were a little crazy. Breakfast is pretty good, and better than all the other hotels I've stayed at in Syria. The gym is a little small and equipped basically, but it is better than nothing and it is useable - and no having to wait for equipment as you will be lucky if you see another person in there!
There is a bar in the hotel, which by UK terms would be awful, but in Damascus terms is the best I've found so far!
Not the best Sheraton out there by a long way, but the best hotel that I've found in Damascus. OK, location may not be ideal for tourists, but if you are here on business you shouldn't have too many complaints. I will be booking it again for my next trip in March, so that's as good an endorsement as you can get.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Keef74
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thanks alot for your comment about our Hotel, which is realy appreciated and encourages us to improve our services more and more. looking forward to welcoming you again in the Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed here with friend for New Year trip to Damascus.

decent clean rooms, though old furniture
hotels well known in the city,everybody can direct you towards it
staff ok; could improve some english
highly expensive (as compared both with other hotels and with service quality)
poor facilities
disturbing and unfriendly hotel policy (e.g.: had to check our early morning after NYE to catch a flight; came to reception evening of 31st to pay for everything and settle the bill; they have asked about the mini bar, we cleared that issue too and finally settled the bill after 20mins-hay had poor internet connection and credit card payment took a while-; next morning, we hurried to leave and catch the flight; handed over key room and again they asked about the mini bar; we confirmed that we did not take anything above the settled bill and this is why we came last evening to settle as now we are in a hurry; INCREDIBLY, they kept us there for another 15minutes to check for the mini bar!!!!!!!!! Sheraton!!!! You think after i am paying you 200euros for a room, i am a SPG member and you have my credit card details i would steal you a water from the mini bar and run away with it??????? And even so- which is not the case - would that make it a disaster for you to such extent to humiliate your customers?????!!!!!)

Old hotel, not renewed due to the fact they seem not to own it, a big disappointment!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Dear Jinks_eng,

First of all, I would like to thank your detailed feedback which is very valuable for us in developing and improving our services.
Your both comments wither positive or negative are highly appreciated, we have well noted that we need to improve our services regarding internet and Mini Bar Billing.
please be sure that we are currently working on these subjects.

Finally should you have any future stays please don’t hesitate to contact me personally to assure you a memorable one

Warm regards

Reviewed November 11, 2010

My heart sank once I read the reviews here, cos we just went ahead & booked based on the Sheraton brand. Could'nt cancel so we prepared ourselves for the worst .

We had a pretty good experience and are happy we chose Sheraton. The Hotel is a 45 min walk and 100SP taxi ride from the Al Hamdiya souk entrance. Its located in a nice part of town, though the presence of armed guards on the streets can be a little unnerving.
The staff seem to try hard, and mostly get it right. Though they were so busy serving coffee to various traffic policemen that we didnt get a welcome drink, and there was just one person on shift at reception to handle the 8 or 9 guests waiting. She was however very competent, calm and pleasant.
Each SPG gets 45 min a day free internet @ the Link centre in the Lobby.
Our deal included breakfast which was a pretty good spread with a mix of Middle Eastern and European food. I was surprised to see bacon and Ham on offer.
The room was spacious and thankfully there were no weddings during our stay. Rooms were clean but could definitely use a little attention - nothing that a good carpenter, painter and and plumber couldnt fix in 30 min, I do wish they would try. The small cracks in the wooden shutters and the lack of a curtain pelmet werent a big deal - just not Sheraton quality and they DO let a bit of the bright Syrian sunlight in a little too early. The bathroom door wouldnt shut completely, the taps were a little too hard to work, and I was so tempted to go out and buy a tin of polish, and walk around the room dabbing a little here and there on the woodwork.
There was a working Hair dryer which was functional and funny. It looked ANCIENT ! I havent seent that model ever, I wouldnt be surprised if it hasnt been changed since the hotel opened in 1980. But it did its job and made me laugh too. If you have a serious hair styling routine I would suggest you bring your own.
Anyway, none of this really bothered us cos we went prepared for much worse.
We had tried the restaurant Luigi Yamamoto - yes they serve Italian and Japanese at the same location - and liked the food.
I used the laundry service and they were satisfactory and on time.
The staff - bell boys, waiters, reception were very pleasant and we managed with English and a bit of sign language. They had a map of the city available at the bell desk.
All in all it was a good experience though I agree the hotel is not maintained to the usual Sheraton standards.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Carsickbutcurious,

i would like to thank your nice & detailed feedback about your stay in Nov 2010. it was a pleasure to know that you found more than what you expected as services, and we would like to inform you that your positive comments regarding the italian restaurant, breakfast and the laundry will be shared with our managers.
we have also worked on your comments of the room decoration details and we will properly address them .

looking forward to welcome you again in 2011 st Sheraton Damascus Hotel

with our warm regards

Alia

Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had a very nice stay at the Sheraton Damascus. I was upgraded to the club floor and the room while not luxurious was certainly on par with many Sheratons I have visited in Canada and the US. Everything was clean and there was a safe, robe, nice TV, etc. Staff we welcoming and courteous and handled all requests very efficiently. Good internet connectivity in room and in the lounge. The old city as about a 30 minute walk or a 200SYP taxi ride away so it is convenient if you are looking for business class hotel in Damascus.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Pilschwab,

first of all thanks on the behalf of the entire team of Sheraton Damascus hotel for your precious compliments about the Hotel and services, and please rest assure that we always remain at your service.

warm regards

Alia Assadiah
Administrative Assistant To GM

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Good location for business trip.

Easy access by car close to the big circle traffic.
Good and professional service during the entire stay at the hotel.

Rooms are clean and of sufficient size to spent some time in the room.

Good breakfast and several bars in the hotel. Very good business centre providing all you need for works.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Dear KochRa,

Thanks alot for your nice compliments which really make us proud of our Hotel and services. and we do always remain at your service.

looking forward to welcome you again in Sheraton Damascus Hotel

warm Regards

Alia Assadiah
Administrative Assistant to GM

Been to Sheraton Damascus Hotel? Share your experiences!