“Nice location - good hotel - large rooms”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Cham Palace Damascus
Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Damascus
Athens
“Nice location - good hotel - large rooms”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed at this hotel during a last night of our Syria tour. We were travelling with a group. The hotel is centrally located and easy to walk to most places of interest. The hotel is nice, of typical interior design and the rooms nice and very spacious (they are more similar to suites). The service is good and the breakfast quite rich (compared to the breakfast served in most Arab countries, which is usually not always according to a westerner's taste). The only bad thing that we encountered was the check-out procedure, which due to a computer problem it took a rather long time and in addition for some reason they asked us to pay a bigger amount for extras, even though we had only consumed one bottle of mineral water. Anyway, this was resolved and we just paid our mineral water. However, the minibar prices are rather expensive, almost 4 times more expensive than elsewhere in downtown Damascus.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank chrispgr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
hong kong
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We were booked for 2 nights, but left the place the morning after the first night.
The hotel is in a central location (definetly NOT a 5 stars, maybe not even a 3 stars) , but a bit far from the old city. The entrance hall is pretentious, but not impressive. The check in is done in cubicules on pieces of old furniture well carved. The elevators are small, old and poorely decorated. The room assigned (741) had not working a/c , quite small, with stained carpet and only one pair of complementary sleepers even if it is a double room. The toilet flush was difficult to operate, noisy so that any flush at night can be heard in the whole hotel. The toilet had walls with plaster falling in pieces. The safe could not be locked.
The breakfast , included, was another small "nightmare" with waiters not too familiar with English language and a buffet quite disappointing.
Overall I rate this hotel with maximum 3 stars and it is not worth the stay.
One can find much better accomodation and deals in the old city in the so called "boutique hotels".

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chinaremo
Athens
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Good Location, No major problems while staying there. (Hotel needs a renovation - the hvac system needs a repair). Very expensive for the services offered. The Bottle of local still water costs in the hotel 15times the price of buying it at a nearby kiosk.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I stayed here with a tour group just for one night before we left Syria. I had a large, well-apppointed, quiet room, which was fine.
The food was probably better than I thought, but most of us were beset by stomach problems by then, and didn't feel much like eating

• Stayed October 2009
Athy, Ireland
Reviewed November 27, 2009

We stayed for four nights. We saw three bedrooms, the first two did not have room to swing a cat, the third was spacious but grotty. The carpet had so many stains we would be forgiven for thinking that the previous occupants had been a herd of camels. The safe did not open and two of the three light fittings in the bathroom and the air conditioning did not work. These were not attended to despite requests to reception staff. The buffet breakfast was probably the worst I have ever encountered, tasteless bread rolls in a large plastic bag to complement the equally uninteresting fare on display. The reception staff will never work with the diplomatic corps, staff at breakfast time were not much better. The lobby and bar were nice, as was the pool. Staff in both of these areas were very pleasant. The hotel is well situated.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jork12
Shropshire, England
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I've previously given a rave review to the Damascus Four Seasons, where I have stayed twice before and where I will stay again when I return to Damascus in two months time. This trip, I stayed at the Cham Palace because that's where I was booked.

The rooms are small, the air conditioning doesn't work (or it didn't in my room) and the only way round that is to open the windows -- but they're locked shut and you have to get someone to open them for you.

The breakfast is awful -- abysmal -- appalling. I didn't try any other meals because there are good Damascene restaurants within walking distance, but it's two weeks since I checked out and I still can't get over how dreadful those breakfasts were. In a country where bread is so important, and generally so good, how does the Cham Palace even find bread this dreadful? let alone get the nerve to serve it?

The staff don't give a toss. One example will suffice: I needed to print froma flash drive. The business centre -- supposedly -- opens at 8.00 a.m. I needed to leave the hotel by 8.45 at the latest. I went to the business centre at 8.00. Locked. No-one came. A manager came by and said, "Maybe at 9.00 there will be someone there." I said, "I have to be out of here by 8.45 and I must print a file." He shrugged, walked on and disappeared. And that is exactly the standard of care and customer service you will get in this dump, whatever it is you want.

Whatever you do, don't stay here. If this is all that's available, delay your trip. The Cham Palace is awful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Bagster
Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Communication was a problem - I contacted the hotel directly (by phone) to book, was given a deal inclusive of taxes and charges - 545 euro for 4 nights, B&B for 2 people, one double room. This was never confirmed by email as I requested. I confirmed the price the day before arrival.On arrival, late at night, we were given a room on the 9th floor the 'VIP' floor - 185 euro per night B&B excluding taxes.A lot of negotiation was required to get the price that was agreed on by phone. Some rooms are exposed to more noise.Room size was OK. Clean linen, room and bathroom.Reception staff were not very helpful.
Pool area on 3rd floor - quiet, poolside service, poor. Would recommend only with warning.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cham Palace Damascus? Share your experiences!