“What a beautiful hotel!”
Review of Agenor Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Damascus
Agenor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Damascus B&B and Inns
Dubai
“What a beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Agenor Boutique hotel, and wow, what an experience!! The hotel is actually a traditional Damascene house that has been beautifully restored and only recently opened. Every aspect of the hotel is spectacular. When you step into the internal courtyard from reception for the first time it is breathtaking. There is a series of rooms coming off the courtyard and I think more upstairs, we were on the ground floor. I traveled with a friend so we had room 3 with 2 single beds. The details in the room were again absolutely lovely, even the ceiling detail was amazing to look at. Our room had a good sized bathroom with a lovely shower (which did leak all over the floor - this does need to be fixed). The airconditioning in the room was great and there was a flat screen TV with satellite channels in English. The room was nice and dark and quiet at night. Only real gripe with the room was that the beds and pillows were very hard, softer would be nice!
The location of the Agenor was perfect. Right in the heart of the Old City on Straight Street it is an easy walk to most of the main sights. We spent 4 great days just wandering around, taking in the sights, eating, shopping and meeting locals.
There was free wifi throughout the hotel which was a nice surprise.
The absolute best thing about this hotel for us was the reception staff (especially Sharjan and Rania) who were so incredibly helpful. They happily made dinner reservations for us, booked us into a hamman, helped us haggle over prices, exchanged money for us, organised taxis, gave us written directions - nothing was to much for them and their help really did make our stay extra special.
The only thing we felt let this hotel down was the service from the cafe staff (who are separate from the hotel staff). Half an hour wait for a cup of tea is not great and they speak little English so communication was difficult. Given the cafe has just opened am sure this will be sorted out soon.
Overall, we absolutely loved our stay in Damascus which is such a charming city, and the Agenor was perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank CockyBarK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Damascus
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I've always wanted to experience being at a place that I would tell my grandchildren about someday..
Finally i found that place which i will talk about times and times again for sure ..
This amazingly atmosphere made me feel like a ancient Syrian princess .. I would love to feel like this again.. though I will comeback with my beloved ones t give them the opportunity to feel and experience being in the heart of Damascus.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandraAlloush
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 16, 2010

A colleague of mine stumbled upon this hotel while shopping on Straight Street 6 months earlier and recommended that I stay there. I was visiting Syria for business and stayed at the Agenor Hotel for 7 nights and could not be happier with the whole experience. The hotel atmosphere is nice with a beautiful courtyard and the rooms are comfortable. But what really made the difference between an average stay and an exceptional one was the hotel staff. As I was there for business, and do not speak a word of Arabic, I needed a lot of support, which the hotel gladly provided. The hotel staff helped to arrange reasonably priced English speaking drivers (for sightseeing and work), has high speed wifi internet in my room, and was there to help me with anything I needed. The hotel’s location is right in the middle of the old city and I would recommend it to anyone who is visiting Damascus for work or play.

- Joe
USA

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jlh174
Dubai
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed in Agenor for 2 nights while I was in Damascus for a conference early June. The hotel is perfectly located on the main street of the old city and it is a lovely oasis of calm in a very traditional Damascene setting. The common areas are very pleasant and relaxing and the rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated. Also the service was great. Everyone was helpful and courteous. I am definitely going back there next time I am in Damascus! Alex Burke

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Many "authentic" Middle Eastern hotels end up either being grotty or tacky, and I was stunned to experience the Agenor's quality both in terms of their beautiful renovations, which bring this ancient building to life, and the service in this family-run hotel, for whom no request was too difficult. The amenities of the hotel are truly international-class, the location is perfect, and they really aim to please. The retractable roof over the beautiful interior courtyard, making it nice & cool even in the heat of the day is a really nice touch, and the rooftop terrace is divine in the evenings.

Only complaint is that the bed linens weren't up to 5-star standard

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Built into a classic Damascene courtyard-house, this hotel, with its exquisite rooms and achingly beautiful courtyard reception, is one of the most charming establishments I have ever had the privilege of staying in.

The staff are accommodating, courteous and speak excellent English. The restaurant serves typically tasty Syrian cuisine, moreish Shawarmas and serves a host of the super fresh fruit juices often found in Syria and Lebanon.

I had just spent the week before staying in a somewhat generic 5* Hotel in Beirut and by comparison, the Agenor wins hands down for its character, style and surprisingly good value.

Being right in the heart of the Old City on Straight Street, the location is nigh on unbeatable with the Umayyad Mosque, Azem Palace, Souqs and Hammams on your doorstep.

This is a slice of authentic Damascus luxury, treat yourself if only for one night at the end of your trip. You won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
jordan
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I went to syria in april for a 3 days . I booked through their website - http://www.agenorhotel.com for my stay in syria , I booked a Luxury Suite in the hotel for my stay. I have stayed at many luxury hotels but this one is really good the best one u feel like a king there. The staff was really pleasant and the food was so good that it made me feel like I was at my home. The facilities were very good including the split air conditioning, direct dial phone, king-size beds, 24 hour hot & cold water, wi-fi and many more.

Overall the experience was excellent. Would definitely come back to agenor hotel whenever I come to syria , its was one of the best tripes

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Agenor Hotel? Share your experiences!