Al Pasha Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The Al Pasha is a beautifully restored Ottoman mansion with courtyards, fountains, richly decorated walls, floors, doors, and ceilings. It is well located in the Christian sector, not far from good restaurants, shops, and a 10-15 minute walk to the Souk. We stayed here twice during the Syrian portion of our April '11 middle east trip – one night at the beginning and two more at the end. We highly recommend it.

Our first room (#5) was on the ground level near the lounge bar. It was large and sumptuously decorated with period furniture. The large queen bed was comfortable, and the a.c. was quiet and effective. The stone tiled bathroom was large and had a glass enclosed shower. There was not much counter or shelf space. Our second room (#17) was on the 3rd floor at the rear of the building, which gave it more privacy but required climbing several sets of stairs. It was also large and had the same attractive period decor and furnishings. The a.c. was also quiet and effective. The tiled bathroom was smaller than #5 but adequate.

Breakfast was served in one of the pleasant courtyards and was very good – a selection of cheese, yogurt, olives, breads, sliced meats and boiled eggs.

There is free wifi in the lobby and in the rooms. The staff was extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

We enjoyed our stay at Al Pasha very much and would definitely return here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NaMakani
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed for four nights at the Al Pasha Hotel from 1 April. We travelled with Jules Verne. The hotel was perfect. It was a beautifully restored old Damascene House and was beautifully appointed and tranquil with several indoor courtyards. In the main one, a song bird seranaded us. In another, we had breakfast. The bedrooms and bathrooms were beautifully appointed in authentic Syrian style. We were there during the unrest but saw and heard nothing. Damascus is amazing and we loved the Syrian people. Our hotel was in the Christian quarter and we had easy access to some lovely restaurants. Straight Street was just minutes away and so, too, were the souqs and most of the main attractions.

The staff in the hotel could not have been kinder and more helpful and even let me use the hotel computer as, due to the troubles, all foreign mobile networks were down and I could not get access on the hotel internet laptop. I was allowed to use the hotel computer as often as I wished, which was great to keep in touch with family who were worried about us.

I hope I can return to Damascus one day once the country is at peace and I would certainly stay at the Al Pasha.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Al Pasha is a cozy and beautifully decorated small hotel in the old city, convenient to everything. Our suite was large and airy and the bathroom well appointed, decorated with a charming mosaic mural. The furniture was typically Syrian of inlaid wood; the bed truly comfortable. But of course, what makes a good stay are the people and we were not disappointed. All were gracious and helpful. Breakfast was laid out in a sunny courtyard and was good. Internet was readily available, helpful during the unrest (which we incidentally did not experience in our 9 day stay, aside from some cheerful pro-Assad gatherings).We were able to take many walks along the Street called Straight to the bazaar and to Naranj for dinner. Street snacks were available near the tiny park on the street and were delicious.
One touch which we loved was the song bird in a cage outside our room who gave us recitals in the morning and seemed quite happy in his digs.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2010

you can't beat this hotel for location, right in the middle of the old city.
Charming hotel, with very helpful staff and beautiful courtyards.
the rooms are huge and well decorated with Syrian furniture, bathrooms are perfectly appointed. Wireless is free and marble floors are heated (I can't tell you how much these two details are appreciated by travelers, right?)
Next time i will ask for a room that doesn't face the breakfast courtyard though, as it gets noisy early in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stay at this hotel for trip to Damascus with friends from work. I have to say that I was presently surprised (Positive) by my hotel. My friends were staying in a hotel near Bab Touma, but I was looking for something near Via Recta. This area is the most important place at the Old Cityn. I was glad that I choose this hotel. It is located 2 steps from Via Recta, 5 min walking from St. Paul & St. Hananias, in the middle of the souks and 15 min walking to Azem Palace & Umayad Mosque. The rooms were perfect, but I was gone most of the time and they have free Wi-Fi, Gym & Sauna & Jaccuzzi as well. So Al Pasha Hotel is the best choice, central but quiet location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business