“disgusting!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Doha
durbanville,south africa
“disgusting!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

This was the most disgusting place we have ever stayed in and we do travel a lot, all over the world. We had a stopover from the Maldives and Qatar Airlines allocated us to this dump. The bedding smelled, the towels were grey and torn,( when we received it at last.) There were guests making a racket the whole night and reception did nothing to stop it! They actually gave the noisy people our room number and what happened? They phoned our room every few minutes and as soon as we answered, replaced the receiver. We had no sleep during that night and the staff ignored our kind requests to do something about it. I must add that we are not moaners in general and are very accommodating. This was just the most awful experience we have ever encountered. The restaurant (if you can call it that) is very small and reminds one of a dining room in a school hostel. The food was average. If Qatar ever send you there, refuse!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nerina10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

We had an overnight at Al Liwan as a part of our trip to Tanzania. Rooms are huge and very nice. Food? Excellent with many choices of salads. They don't provide mineral water in the rooms, but you can ask at the dinner for water and they give you a bottle of 1,5 litres for free, so no problem! I wish we had stayed one more night!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

As I had an 8 hour stopover in Doha en route from Bangkok to New York, I booked and paid for a stopover with Qatar Airways, for USD125.00. Qatar Airways selected the hotel, I was not offered any choice. Al Liwan Suites is an unpleasant residence-style hotel, rooms have kitchenettes (but no mini-bar, in fact not even drinking water is provided). My room was sparsely furnished, the bathroom was dirty and smelled unpleasant. Possibly acceptible for an overnight stay but for the price I paid, I expected a name-brand 4 or 5 star hotel, not this hole-in-the-wall. The only saving grace was that it was only 5 minutes from the airport. I am sure Qatar Airways have excellent negotiated rates with much nicer hotels (after all, nobody stops in Doha, practically all passengers are in transit).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JGPH
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed overnight on our way to The Maldives. The staff were so polite and helpful.
The rooms were huge, with an enormous bed, lounge and kitchen area. Spotless and moroccan style.

There was noise from something that sounded like a generator at night. I am sensitive to sound, but it didn't bother my husband or child at all.

It is near a mosque and there was audible singing at the crack of dawn. We only stayed one night and despite the sounds, I was very happy overall and we enjoyed our brief stay there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

I spent three nights at this hotel on a business trip. I can't tell about the price, because all the expenses were payed by the company. The hotel is not a big one, but it's charming, with a local arabic style (although none of the employees there are Qataris). All the rooms include all the facilities of a self-catering apartment: kitchenette, washing machine, fridge, two televisions, a complete bathroom, etc. I was quite surprised when I first entered my bedroom. It also includes a restaurant were I had lunch a couple of times. I know it also included some other facilities, but I didn't have time to use them. t's just opposite the actual International Airport (3-5 minutes drive) by shuttle bus.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

This hotel was OK. The room was clean, the staff were quite friendly and helpful. The decoration of the room in Arabic style is a little doubtful. Last year this hotel price was much lower. Now US 220 seem a bit expensive but hotel in Doha are not cheap. The only problem is that the location was a bit difficult to find, the hotel was new at the time making cab drives go round and round until they found it.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business