“If you want Arabic charm without 5* Pretence, Charming Staff, Great Food, really roomy Suites at great prices.....”
Review of Al Liwan Suites

Al Liwan Suites
Ranked #59 of 134 Hotels in Doha
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I happened to find this hotel by chance during my last visit to Doha. I had been used to staying in much bigger, plusher hotels and staying atAl Liwan was the best choice I made!
I have to admit that the area its located in is not very nice as there are lots of nearby construction vehicles and it's not a wealthy area, hence being a bit "rough looking" but I felt 100% safe staying there on my own and as soon as you enter the hotel, it becomes apparent that you are very welcome and it's very authentic style is lovely!

The staff are all such hard workers and go out of their way to assist you. The security guys are such nice lads, who often offered to carry bags, call taxi's and run out to get me phone card top up's!

The suite was basic with regards to toiletries, bathroom and decor, but when you consider the rate per night, the space, the service etc and the overall charm, I loved it!

The suite was huge, with a little kitchen area AND WASHING MACHINE, whichis lovely to have access to. I loved the huge fridge/freezer and could make my own ice!!
The lounge was a lovely airy space with red seating, arabic style,along with a table and chairs. The bathroom was a little worn, but had a powerful shower in the bath and great lighting to do my make up! There could have been more towels and they were small the housekeeping were more than happy to bring me more.

The bedroom had HUGE wardrobe space and full length mirrors with a bed that was the biggest I have had in a hotel! There was an aircon unit on the wall in the bedroom, and one in the lounge area. I love my aircon andwas worried about the un-modern units but they were very adequate.

The room service was excellent with NO TRAY CHARGE!
Other hotels take note!
The kitchen were always happy to make variations to the menu which is also rare these days. The set lunch buffet was great value and delicious. I love the small restaurant with the traditional Arabic seating at the rear. The Restaurant Manager and it's staff were all efficient and polite.

The pool is on the top floor and an out door one!! I loved it. It was very small and the surrounding area was a little tired and in need of new poolside furniture but it was very private and the cafe had a nice range of drinks/snacks.

All in all, I loved my stay here and will definately return.
I have recommended it to family and friends too, which I dont often do.

Room Tip: View te suite first, when you arrive
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SerenityIsMine
AlliwanSuites, Reservations Manager at Al Liwan Suites, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Al Liwan Suites Hotel
for your stay in Doha.

Kindly be informed that we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay & our services matching your expectations.

Thanks to post your valuable review.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in Alliwan Suites.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here due to a delayed flight, as it seems most others on here have done. Huge rooms decorated nicely. Kitchenette is a bit odd--particularly the water kettle with a plug that did not match the wall socket. The restaurant staff were very friendly and the food selection was nice for breakfast and lunch.

The area around the hotel is a bit depressed and not what most tourists would probably choose. Neat pool on the roof. We stayed during they day and the front of the hotel is under construction, so the noise was a bit annoying for sleep though I imagine that is not a problem at night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Transfer accommodation booked by Qatar Airways during an overnight transfer. Even for a very short night (less than five hours), we got a very large suite. Rate included a very nice buffet for both dinner and breakfast. No real advice on location as it was dark while arriving and leaving, a short 10 minutes drive from international airport.

• Stayed June 2010
durbanville,south africa
Reviewed January 25, 2010

This was the most disgusting place we have ever stayed in and we do travel a lot, all over the world. We had a stopover from the Maldives and Qatar Airlines allocated us to this dump. The bedding smelled, the towels were grey and torn,( when we received it at last.) There were guests making a racket the whole night and reception did nothing to stop it! They actually gave the noisy people our room number and what happened? They phoned our room every few minutes and as soon as we answered, replaced the receiver. We had no sleep during that night and the staff ignored our kind requests to do something about it. I must add that we are not moaners in general and are very accommodating. This was just the most awful experience we have ever encountered. The restaurant (if you can call it that) is very small and reminds one of a dining room in a school hostel. The food was average. If Qatar ever send you there, refuse!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nerina10
Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We had an overnight at Al Liwan as a part of our trip to Tanzania. Rooms are huge and very nice. Food? Excellent with many choices of salads. They don't provide mineral water in the rooms, but you can ask at the dinner for water and they give you a bottle of 1,5 litres for free, so no problem! I wish we had stayed one more night!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2009

As I had an 8 hour stopover in Doha en route from Bangkok to New York, I booked and paid for a stopover with Qatar Airways, for USD125.00. Qatar Airways selected the hotel, I was not offered any choice. Al Liwan Suites is an unpleasant residence-style hotel, rooms have kitchenettes (but no mini-bar, in fact not even drinking water is provided). My room was sparsely furnished, the bathroom was dirty and smelled unpleasant. Possibly acceptible for an overnight stay but for the price I paid, I expected a name-brand 4 or 5 star hotel, not this hole-in-the-wall. The only saving grace was that it was only 5 minutes from the airport. I am sure Qatar Airways have excellent negotiated rates with much nicer hotels (after all, nobody stops in Doha, practically all passengers are in transit).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank JGPH
South Africa
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed overnight on our way to The Maldives. The staff were so polite and helpful.
The rooms were huge, with an enormous bed, lounge and kitchen area. Spotless and moroccan style.

There was noise from something that sounded like a generator at night. I am sensitive to sound, but it didn't bother my husband or child at all.

It is near a mosque and there was audible singing at the crack of dawn. We only stayed one night and despite the sounds, I was very happy overall and we enjoyed our brief stay there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family