“Finally dined in”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Finally dined in”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I was trying to dine in this restaurant for over a month but it was always fully booked but today it was fully empty, lucky me.
Went with a friend and had shrimp tempura, spring roll, shrimp onion salad all successful and tasty, the only dish i didn't like was the fried king fish, and wished they served cooked sushi.
Service was great and design was wonderful.
Surely will go again

1 Thank Aisha A

• Arabic first
Chaville, France
“Horrible design...cold atmoshpere”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Did an archtitect really work to design the interior design ??? No harmony in the colours...no zen or asian feeling at all.
Food is ok but not as good as the one you can find in other asian restaurant in doha such as spice market or hakkasan.

1 Thank julduf777
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely night in Hwang!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I want to thank team hwang for a lovely evening last night. You certainly made sure that our anniversary was celebrated in style...from the moment we got there to when we left!

The chef put together a delicious vegetarian menu...we were really looking forward to trying the shabu shabu, something we have never eaten before and it was so good! So many delicious new tastes to try...something we look forward to eating again.

The service was outstanding, we were pampered the whole evening! The personal attention we were given really made the evening...we have eaten in many restaurants in Doha, but never have we felt more welcomed than we did at Hwang last night.

We had a truly lovely evening...we are already planning when we can come back and who we can bring with us!

One of our fortune cookies said 'not everyday is good, but there is something good in every day'...well last nights dinner was the something good in our day!

Thank you once again, we look forward to enjoying many more evenings at Hwang

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anjanelle29london
Michael N, Director of Food & Beverage at Hwang, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Anjanelle29london,

thank you very much for visiting our Pan-Asian Restaurant Hwang and taking the time to write such a glowing review. The team is pleased to know that they have met your expectations and that you have enjoyed your meal to such an extent.
We hope to see you soon again even during Ramadan for another meal.
With Best Regards the Hwang Team @ InterContinental doha The City
Doha, Qatar
“A nice addition to Qatar booming dining scene”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

As a person who enjoys the dining experience I was thrilled when I found out that a Pan Asian restaurant have opened in Doha as I find this type of cuisine to be unfamiliar in Doha. Now thanks to Hwang this might change for the better.

First and foremost the dining area looks great and reflects the direction of this restaurant from it's decor to the wall paintings.

Then when you arrive you are greeted by the lovely staff who will escort you to your table and are more than welcome to help you pick and choose your dishes. Looking at the menu I was intrigued by the Shabu Shabu as it's something I never tried before, so we opted for the Shabu Shabu with chicken broth and the meat & seafood selection which is cooked on the table. Let me tell you that the Shabu Shabu is a great dish if you want an authentic Asian flavor but be warned that the portion is big.

For the main course we ordered the grilled duck, stir fry chicken and the wagyu beef and all of our dishes were spot on and delicious. Unfortunately there was no room for dessert as we were full from our meal but nonetheless that didn't stop us from tasting their complimentary and delicious fortune cookies which contained a %10 discount on our next bill.

Overall I enjoyed my dinner at Hwang and would likely go back there in the near future as it's one of my top Asian restaurant next to Hakkasan & Tse Yang.

My only complaints was that one of our main dishes took too long to arrive which made us wait thus making our food slightly cold.

• Visited June 2014
Michael N, Director of Food & Beverage at Hwang, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Abdulla A,
thank you for trying our Hwang Restaurant and taking the time to write such a detailed and glowing review of your experience. Concerning the delay with your main course we are sorry for that, and have addressed this with the kitchen in order to ensure this does not happen any more.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon for some more delightful dishes "served on time"
With Best Regards the Hwang Restaurant Team @ the InterContinental Doha the City
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Extremely Disappointing”
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

The menu boasts 8 different Asian cuisines and mind you they're all pretty heftily priced yet the quality and options were beyond disappointing. The stir fry chicken cost QAR110 and not only was it heavily battered with cornflower it was also overly spiced despite our request for non spicy. The laksa (please never offer laksa unless you know what you are talking about) was nothing but coconut milk and oil with barely any substance for the price of QAR95. To make matters worse we were made to sign a disclaimer form simply because we wanted to take away one of the dishes (as we didn't want to waste). And they brought us that form Twice! Upon query the untrained waitress said because "you might get stomachache"! And on the aesthetics, Morbid is the only way to describe. We felt we were at a wake. There were pictures of ghostly looking children and old people and we were instantly struck with an oppressive feeling as soon as we settled in and started looking around. And finally the Fortune Cookies! I've always enjoyed the uplifting messages and semi "philosophical" quality of the fortune cookie. What I got was a note telling me I get 10% discount on my beverage on my next visit! So all in all not worth the money nor time. If in Doha you're better off in Nusantao (Four Seasons), Spice Market (W Hotel) or Hakasan (St Regis).

5 Thank sangeeth75
Dear sangeeth 75,
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience at our Hwang Restaurant like the other guests. Concerning the pricing, the restaurant is within the mid range of all other stand alone Asian Restaurants in Doha and well below the 5 Star Hotel pricing policies. I do apologize that you did not enjoy the quality of the food and have addressed it with the kitchen, but if you do take away with already cooked food it is our legal responsibility as a hotel to ensure that a disclaimer is signed and that you do understand the implications of reheating food or leaving it out too long.
With Best Regards