“Good Hotel for Transit Travelers”

Movenpick Hotel West Bay Doha
Ranked #22 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Good Hotel for Transit Travelers”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My family and I passed through Doha on our way to Amman, Jordan. We were booked for one night for transit on 26 June 2014 about 7:30pm.

It looks as if the hotel is used very much for people on transit.
The facilities are excellent, service very good, and the buffet meals choice is big and the food delicious.

However some improvement is needed in some areas of service delivery. Having guests for 12 hours or less should not result in giving them poor service.

It so happens I forgot to pack change of shirt and other items for the 1 night in transit. It was 9pm and their shop was closed although they did not have t-shirts on sale anyway.

I asked one Concierge assistant who said he can assist me by going to a shop relatively close to the hotel and buy the items for me. But he told me to ask the head Concierge for permission.

The head Concierge said no, employees are not permitted to go out. This may very well be true, but the manner he said it was brash and unfriendly. Instead he told me that I can go myself on foot since the shop is not very far. I am sure Doha is very safe, but telling a hotel guest to go out by himself at 9:30pm, in a town that he is not familiar, is irresponsible.

Possible solution: he could have suggested calling the shop, giving them a list of items I needed, the shop would have given me the total cost, perhaps say 20 US $ for delivering to the hotel and I would have given the hotel receptionist the money to cover this. Since they would likely have wanted to make a sale, and it might have worked.

Also, before retiring to bed we were told that airport shuttle will pick us up at 5am. But they said breakfast can be ordered and delivered to our rooms. When we called at 4:15am, someone else told us that we have to come to the ground floor for breakfast.

On the ground floor there was no breakfast. I asked the same head Concierge, and he said brashly again, breakfast will be served from 5:30am. I asked him but the shuttle is coming at 5am!

Eventually someone put two pots of coffee and tea, and some bites, at the ground floor lounge area.

Proposed solution: Hotel should put the two pots of tea, coffee, and keep them refilled, with bites, from 10pm to the time when breakfast is served in the restaurant(s).

I hope my comments will be found useful.

4 Thank Joe M
MTS_Management, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel West Bay Doha, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Your comments and concerns have been passed along to the related departments for immediate action and investigation. We do hope to welcome you and your family again at Mövenpick Tower & Suites Doha so you can see the improvements made as a result of your valued comments.
Ghada Sadek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I recently stayed with Moevenpick Towers & Suites in Doha and it was a pretty decent experience overall. I was booked for 2 days for a business meeting for a deluxe room. My flight was delayed and arrived at the hotel in mid-morning. I was picked up at the airport by the hotel staff in a clean open van and shuffled away to the hotel. It took almost 15-20 minutes to reach the hotel in mid morning traffic. I requested a smoking room and there were no deluxe smoking rooms available so I was most pleasantly upgraded to an executive room. The check-in was quite smooth. I went upstairs and inspected the room. The room was nice sized, open and with a good view. The bed was super comfortable and I was sound asleep as soon as I lay down. I ordered some room service and had a steak burger (6/10) and a yellow lentil soup (7/10) and some lemonade. The shower and the bathroom was again well sized and quite spotless. I went for a walk around the hotel and the central city mall is 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel (and it is a left right left right from the back of the hotel). There is a massive carrefore in the central city mall where you can buy water bottles for yourself. I had some laundry done with the hotel and watched some football matches as well. The checkout was quite smooth and the ride to the airport back took almost 10 minutes on empty deserted roads (around 6:00 pm as it was fasting break time in Doha). I did have some food in their restaurants, lunch and breakfast and it was not bad at all. It was overall a good experience and I would recommend stay at Moevenpick.

There were certain items that I didn't understand about the hotel. First, there was no minibar in the hotel room which was strange but okay I just needed water and they provided some complimentary water whenever I called for it. Second, maybe it was because of the timings of my arrival and departure (I arrived mid-day and slept in till evening and then came in for lunch and then left in the evening) but my room never got cleaned or turned over. The food trays were not picked up for 1 day and the bed sheets, towels etc. were never changed for 2 days. I was on a business trip so I didn't have time or the energy. But yes, if I come back, I would probably stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Umair B
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and that your overall say was pleasant. Your comments have been noted and passed along to the concerned department for their action. We hope to welcome you back again at Mövenpick Tower & Suites Doha soon.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having a very long transit in Doha Airport, fortunately Qatar airways gave me 24h visas and Hotel. I think it will be some hotel near or inside airport but its really time to get here from airport at least for immigration and long waiting for the bus. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the room is great with excellent view to Le Cornice the most beauty beach in Doha.The quality of sleep is excellent because the room is sound proofed :) . On the restaurant at first floor they have excellent food choice from arabian style to western, so it was just very nice place to rest and waiting for the next flight

Room Tip: room view to Cornice is the best
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank faozanrizal
MTS_Management, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel West Bay Doha, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Guest
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our rooms were to your liking. We are always happy to hear from a satisfied guest and look forward to welcoming you back at Mövenpick Tower & Suites Doha in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The Mövenpick is a bit inconsistent when it comes to 5 star rating.
Some things definitely meet the part, some others don't. Staff are very nice but it seemed some essentials were not looked after until we requested it (we don't like to whinge so this was uncomfortable).

- The room was great value for money. It's cheaper than other 5 star hotels and great value, very comfortable king bed and soundproof.

- Staff are great, very accommodating and smiley at all times.

- We found the food of great quality, it was all delicious.

- Very well located in the West Bay, with other great hotels so you can hop around for drinks (Mövenpick is a dry hotel).

On the negative side:

- Our room window was 30 cm wide, the rest of the wall was covered by the curtain.

- We had to ask for additional towels and soap as there was only one serve - we wished they had noticed themselves, as we're travelling with a small kid so these are key essentials. They provided these quickly when requested.

- Our kids cot wasn't set up when we arrived at 12 midnight - we had paid the room since the morning so wished they had done this beforehand.

- We only booked this hotel based on the indoor pool for our kid; this wasn't available for maintenance reasons for a whole day and no notice given at all. We checked in with the duty manager a few hours earlier and he mentioned nothing at all :-(
We were able to book a late checkout for half the rate so they accommodated this inconvenience.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that your overall stay was pleasant. Your comments and concerns have been passed along to the related departments for immediate action and investigation. We do hope to welcome you and your family again at Mövenpick Tower & Suites Doha so you can see the improvements made as a result of your valued comments.
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This hotel was chosen by Qatar Airways as part of the stopover in my way to Istambul. The building is literally flashy and you will see what I mean if you arrive at night. The rooms have very comfortable beds, good shades and sound isolation. Qatar Airways gave us 175 QR to spend on a late meal and breakfast, which was enough. The breakfast is very well served with plenty of options of specialties like cheese and fruits.
This hotel has been the best stopover hotel is have stayed so far paid by an airline.

Room Tip: If you are non smoking please ask in advance in the reception desk.
1 Thank blueman00
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Basrah, Iraq
Reviewed June 20, 2014

for a long trip, we had transit time for more than 20 hours in Doha Qatar, but we had opportunity to get 24 hr visa with hotel reservation and transport from the airport to the hotel, and the reservation was at moevenpick hotel in Doha. the hotel was no so far from the airport, it was very clean and very good room serves with good restaurant, they gave us two coupons for two meals, it was a good one day stay and still we had a time to visit Doha and saw some attraction sites.

Room Tip: higher rooms with good view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Veracruz2013
Dear Guest

We thank you for your review about your stay with us.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time and that your stay was pleasant. We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel in the future.

Kind regards,
Blanes, Spain
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Doha Mövenpick Tower&Suites is generally ok. The staff is friendly and helpful most of the time. The breakfast is excellent and the breakfast staff and lobby bar staff are very friendly and make you feel at home, like Reina and Andon. The lobby staff is friendly but do forget things and often need constant reminders. The room maintenance is good if they show up. But some of the staff checks your stuff, so make sure you close away your valuables and money. Also because they tend to forget to close the door. The room is nice and lots of space. Only the offer or international tv channels is very limited. Almost no European channels. The bathroom shows signs of aging. I had to call several times to fix the shower during my stay. The Gym, Spa – with whirlpool and sauna - and swimming pool are really good and with great views as on the top floor. The staff is professional and constant. Also the business area is very good and with professional staff. Downside is that the pool often fills with lots of local kids in the afternoon, which makes usage a bit of impossible and relaxing a no-go. They also stroll around in the Spa so no hiding there either.
On the downside, the hotel doesn’t serve alcohol and has no bar, which is not only far below a 5-star standard, but makes longer periods of stay really boring. Especially in the weekends, the hotel is a dead end. At least Hilton and 4 Seasons must be happy with them as most guests cross the street and spend their evenings there as these hotels have excellent facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ATHF2014
MTS_Management, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel West Bay Doha, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience with us. We are glad to hear that your overall stay was pleasant. We have taken all your comments into consideration and have shared them with the concerned departments for immediate action. Again, we thank you for choosing Mövenpick Tower & Suites Doha and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards,