“Close to Souq Waqif (Qatar traditional market place)”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Qatar Hotel

Royal Qatar Hotel
Ranked #67 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Brussels, Belgium
“Close to Souq Waqif (Qatar traditional market place)”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My favorite airline, Qatar Airline, put me this hotel for 23 hours transit. I did not know anything about Qatar, so no idea how the hotels in Qatar.

At the beginning, this hotel gave a room without any view, even the window cannot open!
I thought that was the treat for 1 night stay, but tried to have better room
and I got it with ‘sea view’. I wished staying the other hotels which you could see the other side of the sea( the bay).

Anyway I decided to walk out and explore a city of Qatar. Then found the market place ‘Souq Waqif ‘, I actually did not know where it was and I checked it after I came back to home…. It was really nice experience, especially the shops to sell Falcon (bird).

The taste of Arabian buffet at the hotel was Great ! (for me), but I wonder European or American whoever like the taste.

After 2 months I stayed again in Qatar and that time it was a hotel ‘the other side of the sea’ where I wanted to stay (I will write the review soon) that was very gorgeous hotel, but I prefer this Royal Qatar hotel, because it’s close to a town where you can see the Real life of the residence.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pristina, Kosovo
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Clean rooms, well looked after if looking a bit aged, very helpful staff and a great location. A few minutes walk to Souk Waqif restaurants and tourist craft and a few minutes more to the museum. 10 minutes to the airport

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diggadoo
Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had an 8 hour layover and because of this Qatar Airlines gave us a free stay at the Royal Qatar Hotel. Friendly staff that were very excited to see us and interested where we are coming from. The free buffet was Chinese food and very good. The room was spacious clean and tidy with free WI FI. The hotel is situated right down town and we had a great view from our room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Morez, France
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed there only for 13 hours transfer but thé service is very good they picked us up at thé airport with a private car thé rooms were very Nice at 7 th floor with a Nice view over thé old Town . We asked for a cab at thé réception to go see thé city mall but they took us for free with thé same private car, that was so Nice . Thé location is very good just NeXT to thé souk. Thé food is a delicieous libaneese buffet. All thé employées are smiley and at our service

• Stayed September 2012
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I had ended up here after a 2 week business/ leisure trip to the region. On arrival at Doha Int, I very clearly told the charming lady, the ONLY criteria I had was to be placed in a Hotel with a Swimming Pool as I did not have the energy at this stage to traipse around Doha, and visualized having a nap and the odd swim to cool of in the 45 deg heat.
AND, I had paid for this, and it was NOT a freebie from Qatar Air!!
Lo and behold, this hotels pool is not operational and what then followed was nothing short of abject frustration and no-one wanted or had the ability to resolve the situation and ion fact the Hotel Manager almost thought it was amusing! I resigned myself to stay in the end and then subsequent actually enjoyed the stay. The rooms are large and comfortable and the Aircon was amazing. The Internet was instantly activated and quick. I did take a stroll and, yes, it is not in the best area, but there are between 7 and 10 small locally orientated restaurants within 3 blocks. It always makes me frown, when one reads comments from other reviewers that say there was NOTHING in the immediate area. Yes, you have to actually walk 2 - 300 meters sometimes and even across a road to find a place to eat, and believe me, the best restaurants aren’t always the ones with fancy décor and furniture.
The staff then made me feel welcome after the initial tirade and even sympathized with me and the one youngster also sorted out an IPAD glitch for me. I found the food to be tasty, and plenty as it is a buffet, and the restaurant service was excellent.
The souk 200 meters down the road is orientated towards the Mobile phone industry, as in 50 small shops in a small area. There were some perfume and smalls shops though and I did land up buying another huge packet of gifts for home.
So, IF the pool was not such a big issue as it was for me at least, I think most people should enjoy there stay here.

Room Tip: High floor as there is traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed May 6, 2012

An average hotel, close to the airport and Souq Waqif.

One weird thing I experienced here; there were no slippers in the room when I arrived so I called the reception and asked for a pair. The answer I got was, "The slippers are only for executive rooms sir" !!! That is what I call a petty mind... Alienating the customers for such a small thing does not make sense, does it?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BaranTrk
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Pleasant hotel for a short stay close to Souq Waqif and Bank Street. Free internet connection and spacious bathroom. Swimming pool under maintenance and unpleasant surrounding.

Room Tip: Almost close to Souq Waqif
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business