“Ok as a transit hotel”
Review of Royal Qatar Hotel

Royal Qatar Hotel
Ranked #68 of 136 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed April 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Qatar Hotel under Qatar Airways transit stopover arrangements. As a transit hotel it was fine. Our room was quiet and clean. The food in the restaurant was ok (we were entitled to receive breakfast, lunch and dinner as part of the transit arrangement) and the staff, in general were friendly and helpful.

There is wi-fi in the lobby and an airport shuttle service.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Hamish09
There are newer reviews for Royal Qatar Hotel

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night - thank goodness. The Qatar airways booked this as a 'complimentary layover' hotel. It was terrible. It took the bus over half and hour to come and pick us up. on arrival our passports were retained by the reception - not a nice thing to do in an Arab country! The room was very small and the bathroom smelled of urine. I had to leave for my flight at 2.30 am but by 2am the housekeeping staff were banging on my door asking me to vacate. The internet was free but you cannot watch live streaming video. The chairs in the lounge were torn and some stained. Considering that Qatar airways spends 10 times as much on a hotel for their business class passengers they could have done better for their economy class passengers. if you are flying economy DO NOT FLY QATAR AIRWAYS. They will treat you very badly. If you are flying business class then you are ok. My office could have booked me a far better hotel than this below average hotel that Qatar booked. I lost my wrist watch on qatr airways and didnot even get an apology from the airline. Dont fly this airline unless its your last option. When we arrived in USA they piled all the Economy class passengers into 2 buses and then made us wait until the business class bus drove off. I am surprised no one fainted.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I came to this hotel to attend a meeting over breakfast with a business partner who was saying over night. Rarely, I have encountered such incompetent and inflexible staff. When I arrived and asked where I could park, I was told that I could not park in the (empty) parking lot of he hotel but somewhere in the busy alleys nearby. The lady at reception assured me that parking would only be for overnight guests. I could refer to my business partner who was actually staying overnight not having a car. She checked with her manager and was very happy to confirm that I still could not park at the hotel and that it does not matter who is staying at the hotel and that I have a meeting to attend that only takes one hour. So far so good: it took me 20 minutes to park the car at in dodgy area and I could then start the meeting. None of us would actually touch anything that was served at the so called "buffet breakfast" and the coffee was disgusting. My business partner confirmed my bad first impressions and described the room as basic at the limit what is bearable (dusty). Conclusion: Doha can be a nice place. Just spend a little more, avoid this hotel and stay in one of the big chains: Intercontinental, W, Sheraton or Mövenpick

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We departured from Manila and missed our connection flight in Doha. Qatar Airways suggested this hotel for one night. This hotel is situated not far from the airport (about 15-20 mins driving). I'd say that it is a quite good place for a one night stay.
We've got a nice breakfast, nice rooms, nice service, quite good internet access.
Other words - it is a good 3 star hotel (not 4) where you can find all that you need being a business traveller without great demands.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Room was very good, clean,quite, good size and everything I wanted was there, though I was told that I had been upgraded.
I had arrived early am and I was grateful for that
Disppointment was that the resturant never seemed to be open, only room service. The room was not that good that I wanted to eat in it !
It is in the old part of town but once you find your way around it's ok
If you need a bar the Mecure is 5mins walk away
New tourist pedestrian shopping / eating area also very close, renovated in very traditional way, nicely done
If your on business and working within a budget you could do worse !

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Hotel has limited facilities, 4 star but no bar, breakfast is eaten in the lobby next to the reception desk and elevators to rooms, rooms are functional but no extra facilities, a fridge that was switched off, no minibar, no kettle just one small bottle of water in room! We had to ask for extra towels as there was only one in the room! There is airport shuttles at particular times!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My father-in-law died suddenly in Qatar and the airlines put us in this hotel. I wish they hadn't. Although some of the reception staff were pleasant and friendly, two in particular were damn right rude, aggressive and made an already stressful situation worse by taking money from us for rooms we hadn't used. The manager was worse than Basil Fawlty - during my complaint regarding the monies taken, I was talking to him on the phone, the line went dead and he suddenly appeared in reception - didn't acknowledge me at all and then stood with his back to me - I didn't even know he was the manager!
When I tapped him on the shoulder he turned around, said something to the person on the other line and then walked out - absolutely no point in him being there and he then wasn't available to talk to me when I questionned the receptionist. My husband, with all the stress and the receptionist's rudeness, almost hit him - when I managed to calm him down and get him outside, I went back to speak to the receptionist who was speaking to someone on the phone, and he said in Hindu (which my mother-in-law translated) "the husband's gone but the woman is still causing trouble" I wish I had let my husband continue and smack the guy!

The hotel was clean and we ate there also, the food was nice but the location is terrible, there is nowhere to go at night (not that we wanted or needed to, but if you were there as a tourist you'd be in trouble) and there's no hot water in the bathrooms. Plus there are 5 minarets surrounding the hotel, so unless that is part of your religion and you don't mind the calls to prayer starting at 5am, I really recommend you don't stay there!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business