“Can be a great hotel - but...”

Millennium Hotel Doha
Ranked #33 of 133 Hotels in Doha
Galaxy
“Can be a great hotel - but...”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The good
Front desk staff very friendly, courteous, helpful and efficient
Nice rooms, certain attention to detail in the way the hotel is constructed
Fruit baskets in the room every day
Breakfast in Cosmo restaurant
Wired Internet speeds were about 512Kbps and reliable
Wireless internet in club lounge
The health club staff were very polite and attentive.
Four treadmills in good shape - did not have to wait to use the equipment

The bad
Rooms had very small windows
I had to call on many occasions for laundry to be picked up
There were no laundry bags / order forms - I had to call for these on many occasions
Coffee sachets were missing for most of May and June!
Each day at least five different people knocked on your rooms for providing service - housekeeping, laundry pickup, laundry delivery, fruit basket delivery and evening turndown!
The service was inconsistent - they forgot to provide water bottles or fruits or the coffee making stuff every other day!
Breakfast in the club lounge was awful on a few days - cold or dried food
Avoid using the toiletry provided, felt these were of very poor quality - the hand cream was runny not creamy!

What some people may miss
Bar - in my opinion it is not a major negative - the local culture is against alcohol consumption - - I guess we should respect that

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank GalaxyBiztraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Paphos
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Millenium Hotel is listed as a 5 star but it is NOT. The staff are not knowledgeable, the Reception staff give you wrong information, the food is not that great, the room walls are thin so you can hear everything going on next door. Rooms are not cleaned before lunchtime, the water pipes clang when someone next door uses the shower or toilet. There is a business class lounge but it only serves soft drinks (although the food here is nice) and the hotel is totally DRY - no alcohol at all which really puts off business travellers who need a drink after a hard day at work. If you book a taxi through reception the charges are 3 times the rate of normal taxi's. The Atrium Cafe in the lobby is nice and there is a pianist at night who is good but that is about the only thing that recommends this hotel. Unfortunately I had no choice in chosing this hotel as it was done through an agent. If you have to come to Doha on business - go to the Ramada - that is great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Herbie2010
UK
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I visited this hotel in November 2009 for 3 nights on business.

All I was looking for was a pleasant hotel with a good service to have breakfast in attend meeting throughout the day and sleep in.

Unfortuately the Millennium did not allow me to do this easily.

Food was ok. The Rooms are nice enough. The Wi Fi is ok but not cheap. The service was terrible.

All I wanted the staff to do was assist me with getting a taxi from the hotel to my first meeting each morning. I did not believe this would be so hard for a top quality hotel. I had just come from Abu Dhabi and Dubai where this was a relatively simple process.

Instead every morning I was directed to the Hotels limousine service which I later worked out was at least 3 -4 times more expensive than the standard taxis in the city. Each morning I refused this service due to cost and asked if they could ring me a taxi. Each morning I was told this was not possible and I would have to walk around to the shopping centre at the back of the hotel. At the shopping centre I could wait anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes to get a taxi. This was extremely frustrating when I had meeting arranged at set times throughout the day.

The final straw came on my last night when I noticed the hotel advertising a FREE shuttle service to and from the airport for your flight. When I enquired about this for my departure the next morning at the desk, I was told this was not the case. After complaining about them advertising this service and not delivering it, they told me that it was a service they offered but was subject to availability (which was a bare face lie). I was then directed back to the good old limousine service. Which I again refused to pay over the odds for. I then asked if they could ring a local taxi firm to arrange my pick up for the morning. After one phone call, I was told the firm was busy. I explained to the hotel that I would miss my flight if they could not arrange something for me. I was not going to gamble on getting a taxi by 6am at the Shopping Centre which had proved unreliable to say the least throughout the week. I was told they would call me later to let me no what they could do. Surprise, NO CALL! I could have been stranded that morning and it was not their problem.

In the end I went onto the internet from my room, found a local taxi number and called it. Surprisingly they had an available taxi which I booked. Going to sleep that night I was more than a bit worried this taxi was not going to arrive after my previous experiences throughout the week.

Luckily I was picked up on time and made my flight (No thanks to the Millennium Hotel staff), however this whole experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. It is not the type of experience you expect from such a well known brand of hotel.

As a bit of constructive advice; I went to several meetings at the Ramada Hotel and this hotel was far better. It had its own taxi rank and was in a far better location. I don't know how much extra cost this would be but I would guarantee it would be worthwhile for the amount of hassle you will have staying at the Millennium.

This hotel is also a 'Dry' hotel for those of you that like a drink.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank stueyh111
Madrid
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich in the atrium lounge in the hotel lobby. You need a magnifying glass to see the chicken and it was not spicy at all.
If you are going to call it a spicy chicken sandwich, then please provide a reasonable portion of chicken and make it spicy!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Iran
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed in hotel for 6 nights. The hotel is very nice and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and you would enjoy a very safe environment. The meal, launch and breakfast was nice, but if you visit the hotel for visit and touristic purposes, forget the hotel food, because the prices are too high.

A swimming pool and spa is available free of charge for guests. That is very nice when you're coming back to hotel for relaxation.

I lost my camera case in the hotel and the hotel staff find it very easily and gently. You can trust the hotel staff and could enjoy the safe and secure environment.

I couldn't live without Internet! Unfortunately the available Internet connection IS TOO EXPENSIVE. I paid $10 for using one our of internet from my room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed August 3, 2009

The hotel was excellent as it had just been inaugurated, the only downside is it's location, somewhat far from the Corniche area, but other than that the place is great and back then had a very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Qatar
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Staff are very friendly, non smoking rooms are very clean and tidy, the hotel location is near by Al-Saad area which is famous for its small shops and restaurants.
The hotel and the area is very safe, the breakfast is awesome, the free high speed internet is the best but it is not wirless.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple