“I would not recommend!! Bad Service!”

Millennium Hotel Doha
Ranked #33 of 134 Hotels in Doha
UK
“I would not recommend!! Bad Service!”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I visited this hotel in November 2009 for 3 nights on business.

All I was looking for was a pleasant hotel with a good service to have breakfast in attend meeting throughout the day and sleep in.

Unfortuately the Millennium did not allow me to do this easily.

Food was ok. The Rooms are nice enough. The Wi Fi is ok but not cheap. The service was terrible.

All I wanted the staff to do was assist me with getting a taxi from the hotel to my first meeting each morning. I did not believe this would be so hard for a top quality hotel. I had just come from Abu Dhabi and Dubai where this was a relatively simple process.

Instead every morning I was directed to the Hotels limousine service which I later worked out was at least 3 -4 times more expensive than the standard taxis in the city. Each morning I refused this service due to cost and asked if they could ring me a taxi. Each morning I was told this was not possible and I would have to walk around to the shopping centre at the back of the hotel. At the shopping centre I could wait anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes to get a taxi. This was extremely frustrating when I had meeting arranged at set times throughout the day.

The final straw came on my last night when I noticed the hotel advertising a FREE shuttle service to and from the airport for your flight. When I enquired about this for my departure the next morning at the desk, I was told this was not the case. After complaining about them advertising this service and not delivering it, they told me that it was a service they offered but was subject to availability (which was a bare face lie). I was then directed back to the good old limousine service. Which I again refused to pay over the odds for. I then asked if they could ring a local taxi firm to arrange my pick up for the morning. After one phone call, I was told the firm was busy. I explained to the hotel that I would miss my flight if they could not arrange something for me. I was not going to gamble on getting a taxi by 6am at the Shopping Centre which had proved unreliable to say the least throughout the week. I was told they would call me later to let me no what they could do. Surprise, NO CALL! I could have been stranded that morning and it was not their problem.

In the end I went onto the internet from my room, found a local taxi number and called it. Surprisingly they had an available taxi which I booked. Going to sleep that night I was more than a bit worried this taxi was not going to arrive after my previous experiences throughout the week.

Luckily I was picked up on time and made my flight (No thanks to the Millennium Hotel staff), however this whole experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. It is not the type of experience you expect from such a well known brand of hotel.

As a bit of constructive advice; I went to several meetings at the Ramada Hotel and this hotel was far better. It had its own taxi rank and was in a far better location. I don't know how much extra cost this would be but I would guarantee it would be worthwhile for the amount of hassle you will have staying at the Millennium.

This hotel is also a 'Dry' hotel for those of you that like a drink.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank stueyh111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Madrid
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich in the atrium lounge in the hotel lobby. You need a magnifying glass to see the chicken and it was not spicy at all.
If you are going to call it a spicy chicken sandwich, then please provide a reasonable portion of chicken and make it spicy!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Iran
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed in hotel for 6 nights. The hotel is very nice and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and you would enjoy a very safe environment. The meal, launch and breakfast was nice, but if you visit the hotel for visit and touristic purposes, forget the hotel food, because the prices are too high.

A swimming pool and spa is available free of charge for guests. That is very nice when you're coming back to hotel for relaxation.

I lost my camera case in the hotel and the hotel staff find it very easily and gently. You can trust the hotel staff and could enjoy the safe and secure environment.

I couldn't live without Internet! Unfortunately the available Internet connection IS TOO EXPENSIVE. I paid $10 for using one our of internet from my room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed August 3, 2009

The hotel was excellent as it had just been inaugurated, the only downside is it's location, somewhat far from the Corniche area, but other than that the place is great and back then had a very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Qatar
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Staff are very friendly, non smoking rooms are very clean and tidy, the hotel location is near by Al-Saad area which is famous for its small shops and restaurants.
The hotel and the area is very safe, the breakfast is awesome, the free high speed internet is the best but it is not wirless.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Only stayed 1 night but got a good deal and the hotel is well situated in Doha.

Friendly staff, clean and tidy and room service was a good selection. Overall no complaints

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
England
Reviewed May 11, 2009

The good? Well, I found the staff courteous and helpful for the most part. There is a nice Lebanese restaurant on the top floor and there is a buffet in the main restaurant.
The Lebanese restaurant provided a nice lunch but it wasn't a bargain. However, the quality of the food and service was good.

The buffet dinner was around 200QR including two bottles of water at 20QR each. There was an extensive array of dishes but some had obviously been there a while - some hot sauces congealing and skinned. Get there early when the food is fresh from the kitchen is the way to go. However, there is plenty to choose from and I ate well.

The buffet breakfast was another extensive spread and was fine.

A couple of service issues that didn't impress me. At breakfast I went to get some more food and returned to my table to discover my book, newspaper and coffee had been removed by some over-zealous waiting staff! Considering there were fewer than ten people in the restaurant and I was only a few yards away at the food tables at the time that was pretty dense of whoever did it.

The other service issue was when I discovered that a half-empty bottle of water had been topped-up by room service - presumably using tap water! Was not impressed by that at all!

The rooms. Well, on the plus side they were comfortable enough but woefully inadequate regarding soundproofing. Despite being as far from the lifts as possible the "ding" announcing its arrival penetrated loudly - those "dings" are loud and ridiculously so. Then there was the road noise from the main road. Then there was the noise from the construction of the apartments on the other side of the street that started at 06:00!
If I had been a tourist traveler - and therefore paying myself - I would have been very upset at paying the prices this place charges for its rooms and services. Had I been staying for more than the two nights I was there I would have checked out and gone elsewhere to get away from the noise. Fortunately, it was paid on expenses and I only had to try to sleep there twice. Oh, and coupled with the fact that the internet is a rip-off (so didn't use it) and the place is alcohol free makes this a place to avoid.

A pity really, because the lobby/atrium is nice but beyond that the architects made a mess of putting this place together. They just didn't seem to have any concept of acoustics when they designed and specified the building.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
MillenniumManager, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Doha, responded to this review, May 23, 2009
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am very grateful to you for bringing these comments to our attention and I assure you that myself together with the entire team of Millenium Hotel will ensure that all services for all our guest will live up to their expectations.

I would also like to apologize for the incident that took place in our Cosmo Restaurant. We take it very seriously and the management has taken steps to avoid such unpleasant situation.

I will look at the points that you mentioned and we assure you of our commitment to provide unique services. However, Millennium Hotel Doha is designed as a Dry Hotel since the opening back in 2006.

Best regards,