“Best bed I've slept in!!”

Sharq Village & Spa, a Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Ranked #18 of 137 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I arrived at this hotel very late one evening to stay for two nights - it had been a long flight and I was almost dead. Although incredibly attentive, I would probably say that the check in procedure probably took a little longer than was necessary, but I couldn't complain.

My room was huge, with a canopied bed and lovely furniture. The bathroom was gorgeous - plenty of fluffy towels and gorgeous Bulgari toiletries, a rainfall shower as well as a hand shower and a good, deep bath.

It is not an exaggeration to say that I slid into the most incredibly comfortable bed I can remember even sleeping in.

I had a bit of a problem because I'd been booked into a smoking room by mistake and the next morning was a bit annoyed because the smell of smoking coming through the A/C was irritating. However, I spoke to reception and was offered another room immediately, and was very happy with it.

I've read reviews on Tripadvisor from people who have complained about the proximity of the hotel to the airport, and the noise from planes. I can honestly say that I heard one plane and that was as I was leaving my room to go back to reception to check out. I can understand that the planes might be annoying if you were spending the weekend at the pool or on the beach, but I think that if you're staying in this hotel for business, or a conference, you would be very hard pressed indeed to find a single thing wrong with it!

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for non-smoking if you're not a smoker!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank modira

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I really wanted to give this property 5 stars but just couldn't and I'll explain why in the body of the text below.

The staff here was quite friendly and attentive. Check-in is a bit slow but I was served tea and dates while I waited about 5 minutes for one of the three check-in desks to free up. I was upgraded to a sea view room upon check-in as a platinum Marriott Rewards member.

Service at the cigar bar and pool bar was really outstanding and friendly. Everyone remembered my name the second time I came in.

The villa style of the rooms and lights at night made for a very relaxing atmosphere. Yes, there is jet noise, which is quite loud when you are outside; however, I the room was very well insulated from the sound. It is important to note that when the NDIA (New Doha International Airport) opens up later in 2013 that the current runway will be used very little and this should greatly enhance the customer experience here.

The two reasons, I can't give the hotel the 5 stars I wanted to are: 1. My room was a non-smoking room, however it was evident that smoking had occurred - smelled like cigar smoke and the smell permeated my suits the week I was there. 2. The room itself was quite clean, however the common area of the "Villa" was quite dusty and unkempt, especially the outside areas. I had 4 colleagues traveling with me and we wanted to meet in the outdoor common area but it was so dusty and poorly maintained that we went elsewhere on the grounds. Not sure why the staff was neglecting this deck area when all else was so well maintained.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Oh deary me, not the best experience. Location shocking, beach just bearable, service at restaurants and pool lazy and slow, they seem more interested in talking to each other.

The resort is literally at the end of the runway, I like airplanes, but not enough to listen to them roar right above my room overnight. Poolside bliss disturbed every few minutes.

Definitely overpriced, resort doesn't have much character.

The spa was nice though. Natascha and Rafael from front office were very good helping to soften the blow.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank PaulAJ16
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is beautifully laid out, Arabian Village style, the rooms situated within two storey courtyard houses. Landscaping , pools and various water features make for a highly attractive and calming setting. This is a very pretty resort and it was the website photographs plus highly positive TA reviews that led me here. Our suite was divine, very spacious and richly decorated with the most sumptious bed. Staff were excellent throughout and the Concierge extremely helpful. We ate at Al Dana from the sushi buffet which was varied and fresh though rather unthrilling and very low on atmosphere as it was so quiet. There are a variety of other restaurants to choose from though. The hotel is especially magical by night as it is wonderfully illuminated and the skyline dazzles in the distance. However the big problem here sadly is noise from the very regular planes passing overhead. The hotel is less than 10 minutes from the airport and directly under the flight path. I was aware of this prior to booking as I am an avid reader of this site and I had requested a quiet room and brought ear plugs. During the day the noise is a little incongruous given the divine setting but it didnt trouble us unduly. However by night, and there is a lot of air traffic in the Middle East throughout the night, it becomes something of a nuisance to say the least as planes pass around every 10 minutes and the terrific noise lingers for some time after. It is such a shame as this place is a real beauty.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrstraveller1
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Here the Ritz standard meets the highest level ever.
This Fortress Stile VIllage is provided by the best furniture you can image, the rooms are outstanding, the rest of the resort is gorgeous, the spa is magical, the Staff is wonderful.
It has a private beach from which you can look at the impressive skylyne of Doha.
At the hall you can taste complimentary local foods and drinks, wonderful restaurants complete the experience.
I recommend strongly the Sharq Village, for me is the best Hotel ever visited.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matteo A
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with wonderful staff, who go over and above the call of duty. My husband and I stayed here for a few days on a stop-over to Europe. Before leaving we read the reviews about the Hotel being so close to the airport and the noise that comes from being near the airport. I don't know whether we were tired from our flight or the fact we kept ourselves busy during our time in Doha but I can't say the proximity to the airport was ever a problem for us. We did not hear any noise when we were in our room and maybe that's because of the location of the room, I don't know. Our sleep was never interrupted and even when we sat by the pool or on the beach, the noise was not intrusive. In fact, I often find the noise screeching children make by the pool or beach to be far worse than the overhead planes.

The food was very good. We dined in the Seafood restaurant and in the Persian restaurant and both were of a high quality. Our requests for non smoking areas were always accommodated.

The most outstanding feature of this hotel is the exceptional customer service. The staff are friendly, helpful and always available. We also had treatments (massage etc) at the Six Sensis Spa and it was magical.

All in all a positive experience for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RebelStevens
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When I arrived at the Sharq hotel to relax and escape from exhausted life there was a very welcoming and friendly environment. The doormen , receptions were all very pleasant .The foods were really awesome and great. I loved large diversity of people. There is one person that really prominent for me in my total night stay in Sharq.I have a friend in so many countries such as Ireland, Spain, England, Cyprus and Australia. However, I wasnt able to have a conversation with them due to a very poor internet connection of the hotel. I stayed many times in RitzCarlton , Westbay ,but the sytem there is quite good. That time ,that night,I'm freaking out. I need someone to talk with in social networking. I have no choice but to ask assistance. I dialled "0" then a very fascinating and very energetic voice picked up the phone , introduced herself(at first , later part of our conversation She/he said that Shes a "He"" and his name is Mega. He helped me with the connection the best he could yet the instructions and the outside moderator didnt cooperate.I shouted him, uttered bulgar obscene words but he just kept silence.After a few seconds.He did apologized regarding the connection and if there's anything more that he can assist me.Suddenly ,I began to share with Mega my angst in life, my burdens and everything.Piece by piece because there are lots of incoming calls and he cant accomodate me for a long period of time.Blah! blah! story ends.Please understand that its just between me and Mega only. Let me write and share the best encouragement I've heard from a person , from Mega..."You may have no control over circumstances, or how another person thinks, feels or behaves, but you do have a choice about how you will let it affect you and never fails to ask God for help and guidance". Mega,Accept my gratitude and Thank you's .Youre not only doing your profession as a Callcenter agent but you allow to share your inner beauty with others -- to me.
There are no words that could possibly describe how exciting and wonderful this experience to me in Sharq hotel despite of down system but the advice from Mega that changed my perspective on life. That's why I want the world to know and to be aware of Mega's existence and How beautiful Sharq is and the people working there.

• Stayed: January 2013