“Sub standard stay!”

Wyndham Grand Regency Doha
Ranked #42 of 137 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I am writing to complain about the sub-standard stay I had at the Wyndham Grand Regency Doha. I arrived at the airport at the stated time and proceeded to the desk for the shuttle bus transfer to the hotel. The man behind the desk informed me that the bus was not there and I should just wait for 25 minutes. This was the first of my grievances. The man knew my time of arrival, as my name was on the list. I was on time, but the hotel did not manage to coordinate the pick up time and so I took a taxi to the hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was eventually issued a room. From listening in to the phone conversation by the Receptionist, it seemed that the room I had been allocated on the system was not yet clean, but I was eventually issued with another room. I asked to pay for my room upfront, but was told that I had to check out upon leaving the hotel and that my card would be blocked with 2000 QR. I had no choice.

I had asked for a double room with an extra bed as I had my two daughters with me. We were attending an H2o swimming competition. I entered the room and firstly the smell was absolutely disgusting as I had been allocated a smoking room and secondly, there was no extra bed.

I went back to the Reception, where I was referred to the Duty Manager. I told her that I thought there must have been some mistake as I had been allocated a smoking room. She informed me that H2o had requested this and that I basically had no choice. I explained that I could not stay in this room as it was a smoking room, my daughters are athletes and it is not healthy for them to be in that environment. The Duty Manager then told me that she would organize a deep clean of the room and it would be fine. I questioned her as to why she thought the room was dirty, it was a smoking room and I did not wish to stay in it. She huffed and puffed and then asked me which room I wanted. I have never stayed in this hotel before and could not answer the question. She then told me that I had a choice of three rooms on the 5th floor and that I should go and see them so that I could choose the one I wanted. Although I was very tired, I was then taken upstairs to inspect the rooms. I chose a room and went back down to the Duty Manager. She was on the phone, I had to wait. I informed her of the room I had chosen and there was another problem. The system was showing that someone else had already allocated the room. More waiting. Eventually, I was allocated a room – again no extra bed, but one did arrive and the whole process of checking in only took me an hour and twenty minutes.

On the day of departure, my children left for the swimming competition and I stayed behind in the room to rest and do some work. At 8am there was a knock on the door asking me at what time I was vacating the room. Again, I was quite taken aback by this, as I find it quite unacceptable to have a knock on the door at 8am in the morning!

In conclusion, I have not enjoyed my experience staying at the Wyndham Grand Regency, Doha. I am very surprised that this hotel has 3 stars, let alone 5 as the customer service and customer care is non-existent. I have stayed in a few hotels in Qatar, over the years and most of the time it has been with H2o organizing the events. The Millennium and Doha Villa Hotel dealt the large group very well and I do feel that the Wyndham has failed. I will definitely NOT be recommending that any one should stay at the Wyndham.

Room Tip: If you are unfortunate enough to have to stay in this hotel, the 5th floor has the best rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Colette269
Ayman I, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Wyndham Grand Regency and taking the time to write to us. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience during your stay. Your concerns about our service were addressed with the concerned department head and actions taken to avoid any future re-occurrences.
Regarding your comment upon your arrival at the airport, i fully understand your frustration. However, the bus was there and waiting the rest of Elite swim team Kuwait. As agreed with H2O group leader that the airport picks arrangement should be done by shuttle bus to each team separately.
In regards to your room allocation, unfortunately H2O didn’t provide us in advance about any guest preference or request. And as per our hotel standard and policy the payment should be done upon check in.
I am truly disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations on this visit and please accept my sincerest apologies.
In order to show you our best, i would appreciate if you could contact me directly for any future stay in Doha. You will find hereunder my direct email address.

AIbrahim@wyndham.com

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Wyndhem Grand Regency Doha is a nice hotel to stay on personal as well as business trip. The staff is extremely co-operative and ever smiling. I stayed at this place for 1 month and never had any complaints. There is a thorough check on the housekeeping in the rooms. The coffee shop is also very good with soulful music being played on a piano every evening.

1  Thank comfortzone11
Ayman I, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We were delighted to read your wonderful comments posted on Trip Advisor!

Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency for your stay in Qatar. We are extremely grateful for your kind compliments and are glad that our facilities and services have met your expectations.

Thank you for taking time to offer us your valuable comments.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

excellent hotel clean room good facility acceptable food in restaurants generous buffet extensive wireless internet coverage walking distance from Hamad hospital be very careful crossing the main road
There are some small shops & restaurant walking distance towards Al Saad
What a good service

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank thesensuk

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, and it was really our pleasure to have you with us at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha.

Such a comment is a great motivation for us and it will definitely be shared with the management.

Thanks again and looking forward to welcoming you back at the hotel again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Thank all the staff at the hotel staff and management for their hospitality and their dealings with guests, as well as improvements to congratulate occurred on the building and rooms, as well as thank all the staff, especially Ms. reception / Nina Hassan dealing Aldaima smile on her face, thank you very much

Yours sincerely
Fahad Saad Al Ahbabi

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Saad A

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know you had a pleasant stay and were satisfied with the services rendered by the team members. Thank you for your appreciative comment about Nina, which I have shared with her immediately. I am happy to read that you also enjoyed the facilities of Wyndham Grand Regency.

It has been our pleasure to serve you, we look forward to welcome you again should your future travel brings you back to Doha.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is very near the Hamd City Hospital which makes it a convenient base if you are doing business or working with the hospital. The restaurants are good as well as the rooms with a standard price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Ayman I, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

It is a great pleasure to read such feedback. It is encouraging to hear that we were able to meet your expectations with our location, service and facilities. I will be sharing your kind comment with the rest of the team.

We do hope to welcome you back to Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel Doha in the near future.

Best Regards.