“Nice”

Ranked #40 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Port Alfred, South Africa
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here for a week on business. The hotel is rated five stars, though the room size was not a testimony to this. The service I experienced throughout did make up for this though. The room was however well appointed with a triple layer of curtains that allowed a full black-out. There was WIFI available in the room, however at cost of QR 100,- per day, which I do find a bit excessive. The WIFI in the lobby, however, is free of charge. The air-conditioning worked well and I slept very sound throughout the week.

The bathroom was also a bit small, though with a lot of amenities. There is no separate shower and the water temperature fluctuated throughout the week. It was probably the soaring heat over the week I was there that I did not mind the water temperature dropping every thirty seconds ;-).

The breakfast buffet is very elaborate stretching over different stations, complimented with eggs to order. The only flaw here was the espresso that was served, but came from an instant machine. The waiters however quickly caught on when I complained about this and from thereon fetched me a double espresso from somewhere else on the premises where they do have a proper espresso machine. This type of quick recovery I experienced throughout. When I notified the housekeeping that my hand towels and face cloths were not replaced, this was quickly rectified and the same with the tea bags in the room. Mini bar items were quite steep and they forgot to refill.

The best thing was room service though. On the first day I ordered a club sandwich for lunch and what I received was absolutely the most impressive one I have encountered thus far (see picture). Also on the warm mezza I ordered on my last evening exceeded all expectations.

The hotel has a nice and spacious gym with a good range of equipment that is open 24 hours per day. It further has a swimming pool and jacuzzi which are ok.

I think the hotel is a bit less expensive than many of the other hotels due to its location and its room sizes. I would recommend watching prices closely though as especially internet and mini bar items were quite steep. Oh, and the hotel does not serve alcohol...

So, all in all I had a comfortable week here and would recommend especially if you are alone on business. The service errors when brought to the attention of the staff are quickly rectified and further it has all you need (except alcohol ;-)

Room Tip: There are no spectacular views from where the hotel is located. I was on the first floor as I asked...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ayman L, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On the Behalf of All the staff I would like to thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel for your stay and for posting your review. It was a pleasure to host you and we are very thankful for all your constructive feedback. meanwhile we would like to present our apology for any inconvenience was occurred during your Stay, hoping we could make it up for you during your next visit.

All the Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel staff and the management are looking so much forward to welcome you during your next visits,
Best Regards
Ayman Lotfy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ipoh, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

the hotel is not really close to town, therefore it was quite hard to get a taxi.. you won't get any view of the corniche from here.

the room was pretty small. the window was small. and the room deco was just so-so.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zalss
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Wyndham Grand Regency Doha
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Big, clean, smart hotel.
It has 5 star facilities but I think it could do with a bit of attention to retain it's 5 star status.
I had a nice room, clean and well laid out. Wifi was good. Everything worked.
Breakfast was extensive and fine.
The gym is very good with a lot of kit.
I saw the pool (but didn't use it) - it looked fine and although as others have said it is in a courtyard at the centre of the hotel so surrounded by hotel walls, as I was there in July it was 43 degrees outside and if it had been in direct sun it would have been impossible to use.

My criticisms?
It took a long time to get a taxi. This shouldn't be the case for a 5 star hotel.
Location isn't great but there's not really much they can do about that.
There were 3 restaurants in the hotel but one was closed (being refurbished - fair enough).
I appreciate it was Ramadan but I couldn't get food at all times - again, now what I'd expect of a star hotel.

If this was a 4 star hotel I'd say it was a great one. As a 5 star, I think it's stretching to hold that.
But still a nice place to stay on business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mike w
Ayman L, Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On the Behalf of All the staff I would like to thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel for your stay and for posting your review. It was a pleasure to host you and we are very thankful for all your complements and constructive feedback. Meanwhile I assure you that your comments and observations have been taken very seriously and have been passed on to all the relevant departmental managers so that they can address with their teams.
We take our service commitment very seriously and assure you that the challenges you experienced were the exception and not the norm.

All the Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel staff and the management are looking so much forward to welcome you during your next visits.

Wyndham Grand Regency Doha Hotel
Borrego Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel Doha lives up to its five-star rating in almost all respects, the exception being that it is showing its age a bit and could use a modernizing face lift with particular regard to décor. But if you can get beyond the old-world Arabian Nights interior design, you will find yourself rewarded with impeccable service and the utmost of cleanliness. I don’t know how they do it, but when you walk into the lobby, it smells absolutely wonderful—like entering an ultra-exclusive shop in Paris or something. Many candles and fresh flowers complete the effect.

The hotel is situated a bit far from the action of Doha’s modern and far more picturesque West Bay area with its huge City Center Mall, striking architecture, new hotels, and trendy restaurants and so requires a taxi to get around. It doesn’t have much of a view (seaside, etc.) which probably explains why other reviewers mention that the windows in the rooms are small.

Upon arrival, we were escorted to a separate reception area where we were seated while our documents were processed, which was totally efficient and cordial. Cold juice and face towels were a welcome touch after our long flight. There were no non-smoking king-sized bed rooms available, but we were assured that there would be no issue with our being bothered by any residual smell of smoke. This turned out to be completely true. The room was fresh and clean with pure white bed linens and towels, fluffy robes, slippers, and ample toiletries. We were told we could change rooms when a non-smoking room became available, but found that it was totally unnecessary.

Coming to Doha as the holy month of Ramadan is beginning can be a bit daunting as devout Muslims fast from dawn to dusk. This means that hotels, restaurants, shops, offices etc. all alter their hours to accommodate the special requirements of this season; but facilities catering to western clientele generally make exceptions with regard to dining options. At the Wyndham, the Grand Gourmet restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner at “normal” dining hours. It serves an extensive buffet for each meal with selections to please nearly everyone. It also offers a small a la carte menu with freshly-made pastas, pizzas, etc. This is a good alternative to the somewhat expensive buffets, and the pizzas are truly delicious! There is also an oriental restaurant on the ground floor—“Chopsticks”—which serves Chinese, Thai, and Japanese specialties in a quiet atmosphere just off the lobby. The overall quality of the food at the Wyndham is excellent. My only quibble would be with the aesthetics of Grand Gourmet in that it could improve the décor by using softer lights in the evening, etc. The wait staff are wonderful! As an aside, this is an unlicensed hotel, so if you cannot live without a glass of wine or beer, you'd better book yourself someplace else.

A large area of the second floor is dedicated to an amazing gym with all the best equipment, a branch of the world-famous Angsana Spa, and the swimming pool which is built within an open-air interior courtyard surrounded by the hotel’s exterior walls. With a little imagination you could believe you were in a private Mediterranean villa. In fact, for the past week, I have not had to share it with anyone during the day. The sound of central air conditioning units and other equipment necessary to the running of the hotel is amplified here, though, which somewhat disturbs the peacefulness of the space. Other reviewers have commented about the pool being so closed off, but I believe this is fairly common in conservative Islamic countries.

The in-room internet connection is fine, but expensive at +/- US$28 a day.

I have no complaints overall about this hotel and have really enjoyed my stay here. Every member of the staff is professional and gracious, with perfect attention to detail. It is a very well-maintained property. My compliments to the Management!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ayman L, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On the behalf of all the team members, I would like to thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel for your stay in Doha and for posting your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and so happy that we were able to achieve our target and exceed your expectation.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. And we will continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations.

Wyndham Grand Regency Doha Hotel
Metro Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are good and nice was.upgraded to a suite but similar to the standard room the window was very small offering very or no city view at all, plus that feeling of being locked up in a room.
Breakfast buffet has a good choice of items for all types of travellers
Chopstick their Asian food outlet serves exellent food and very good.service.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel during your stay and for posting your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us we will be happy to receive your room type request enough time prior your arrival in order to avail the view at your choice. Rest assures that attention to the details is the first step for getting our guests satisfaction.

Thanks again for your comments and we are looking so much forward to make your next stay even better

Warm Regards,

Trondheim, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is one of two 5 star hotels in Doha which is so called "dry"- they do not serve alcohol. Not that we missed that, but it is a sign that nothing else is arranged for non-muslims (vesterners).

The hotel is worn down, is out of the way (not by the sea and other hotels). It might be better to choose a hotel with a private beach so one can enjoy the hot weather and the sea.

The pool is inside very high walls, so it is practically an indoor- pool. Buffet was ok, but there was hardly any other vestern people there...

The staff was friendly and helpful, but we wished we had stayed at a newer and more liberal hotel for our stay in Doha.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ayman L, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire team of Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel-Doha, we would like to thank you for your recent review. We appreciate so much the time taken to provide your valuable feedback for the hotel. Meanwhile we apologize for any inconvenience that has caused you during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again hope we will be able to impress you.

Ayman Lotfy,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Ahmed Yousef (Reception Supervisor). Thank you and the rest of the staff for the superior service and unforgettable experience I had at Wyndham Grand.
Starting from the greeting at the entrance to the welcome coffee and fast check-in process in addition to the friendly staff and extremely clean rooms.
After a day, the staff knows you by name and everyone is just so friendly.
For those looking for a hotel where you can really have a pice of mind, don't think twice.

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Regency Doha, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Regency Doha Hotel for your stay in Doha and for posting your review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We are very glad that you’ve enjoyed our services and facilities. We will be certain to share your comments with our team.

All the staff of Wyndham Regency Doha Hotel will always be looking forward to make your next stay in Doha a memorable and an unforgettable experience.