“Sooooo much to do”

Ranked #72 of 131 Hotels in Doha
London, England, United Kingdom
“Sooooo much to do”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've recently stayed here for 2 weeks on business with 2 colleagues (who also have the same opinion) that if we hadn't been staying here through work, we would have had to relocate.
The rooms are substantial in size, clean and tidy and they get cleaned every day. I actually got upgraded to a suite on arrival as they didn't have any regular rooms which I was more than happy to oblige. The wifi is free and very fast and works all over the hotel including at the pool which is why this hotel gets a star! Sadly that's where the good stuff ends......
Many of my room plug sockets did not work. The room service, you can guarantee will take ages and more than likely wrong. The phones do not work properly when you try to select any of the corresponding departments so always having to deal with equally unhelpful people at reception.
The 2 times I had dinner in the restaurant I was the only person dining so the atmosphere wasn't so welcoming. With news for ambience, no alcahol being served and non speaking English waiters it made for quite a painful experience all in all. Needless to say we ate out nearly every night. The local souk serves much more variety of food for a fraction of the price and is a lot more of an enjoyable experience. There's is not much else around the hotel other than the Museum of Islamic Art which is great so you will have to get a taxi everywhere which are not expensive if you want to go out drinking/eating or sight seeing. Getting home however will be a challenge however as not a single taxi knows where this hotel is! Thank god we had practise at describing the location!
The breakfast is pretty basic but at least you can help yourself to a buffet. The lunch buffet is somewhat disappointing on the roof 'terrace'.
The pool is very small and disappointing after seeing glamorous pictures if it online and it's absolutely freezing with little care or attention paid to the sun loungers or the surrounding areas. The gym is basic and small and with one of the 2 treadmills not working, made for little choice and the 'spa' is merely a locked door saying 'massage room', which I can't imagine many people ventured.
This is not a hotel for holiday makers, you will be totally disappointed. If you are coming here on business you will not be disappointed with the wifi network however if you need answers, services and things generally working well, quick and efficiently, do not stay here.
I do not stay in particularly posh or expensive hotels but it's just all a bit below average and can't understand the high rating of stars for this hotel! There are plenty of others that are much better to choose from.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MavenAdviser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Really very nice hotel,great staff.amazing view from rooms.near souk wagef,corniche,
The roof top restaurant with te Arabic shisha is really amazing.
The Arabic food was more than tasty.
We'll trained staff.
It's more than good.

Room Tip: 606 had an amazing view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheRoyalRivieraHotel, Front Office Manager at The Royal Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Mrs. Nadine,

Greetings from The Royal Riviera Hotel!

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay with us and thank you for taking the time to let us know about it.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such complimentary comments as yours.

We are indeed very centrally located on the Corniche close to the Islamic Museum, National Museum, Souq Waqif, and 10 minutes from International Airport.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to The Royal Riviera Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,
Kacapor Munira
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've been to the royal riviera for a whole month during Feb-2014. My stay has been quite pleasureful. The hotel is far from being considered luxurious (gym is too small, spaces are just acceptable, rooms are not so spacious). They used to fill the tray with creamer, Nescafé, sugar & red & green team, which is a small gesture I appreciated.. Staff is quite friendly as well.
The only problem I've had during my stay is related to the design of the shower cabin: it's impossible to take a shower without having to flood the whole bathroom, cabin does not close completely as it has no door, they leave you a space where you enter & exit the cabin but can't close it. That's why I used to use the towels to absorb the flooding water everyday.
Other than that my stay has been warm & I'd return to the same hotel again.

Room Tip: Check out bathrooms shower cabins & make sure it gets closed.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from The Royal Riviera Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

The guest experience is something we take very seriously and we very much appreciate you being our guest.
While we are delighted with your very positive comments about the room amenities and truly appreciate the comments about our team, we are most disappointed that some service aspects did not live up to your expectations.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered and rest assured, your feedback has enabled us to review the standard within the departments involved.
Furthermore I am delighted to inform you that relocation of the gym to a more spacious place is in process.
Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back at The Royal Riviera Hotel.
Please feel free to call me directly so that I may personally oversee your stay.

Best Regards,

Kacapor Munira
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed at the Royal Riviera Hotel for one night over the weekend, the stay was amazing. Definitely one of the best hotels in Qatar, excellent rooms, dining at roof top restaurant was amazing, and really enjoyed the shisha, staff are super friendly! Highly recommended.
Walking distance to souk waghef and near Islamic museum art , as also the Cornish.

Room Tip: Most of rooms have sea view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very nice hotel.,the location is great,not far from the airport Amazing view,Near souk Waghef ,Islamic Museum art ,I was more than comfortable, the stuff was so helpful and friendly ,well done for all the team..

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I don't know how they got a 5 star rating because it is more like a 3.5 star hotel. The staff at reception were bickering with each other which was unprofessional. Issues with the room include: scuff marks on the wall, dirty windows, rusty bathroom drain, no slippers or robe, nothing in the fridge and the tv channels were fuzzy (but the rooms were clean). Breakfast was also of 3.5 star standards. On the other hand, the location was good. It was disappointing to realise that I could have paid a bit extra for a real 5 star hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my acomedation there , it was really nice place I enjoyed my time in qater the only problem is to get a taxi but any way its near the airport and its very close to islamic museum and the town

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family