“Amazing Cuisine - Business Lunch is Highly Recommended!”
Review of La Sahtaine

La Sahtaine
Ranked #537 of 882 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Indulge in exquisite French Mediterranean cuisine in a vibrant and posh setting overlooking the Arabian Gulf. Select your favorite wine from a glass enclosed wine cellar.
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,960 helpful votes
“Amazing Cuisine - Business Lunch is Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Now on this second visit to Doha when I arranged to have lunch at the La Sahtaine I decided that since I am returning back I ought to know what the word means at least. I checked it up in the dictionary, so in Arabic we say sahtain, which is the dual of health, like in Greek when we say “stin ygia sou” something similar! In French it means ‘Bon Appétit’.

So, we are back again to this amazing restaurant but we came here for lunch this time. I was curious to try the Business lunch. I missed the pretty pianist playing I can admit, but of course my timing was wrong. If we had chosen to come in the evening the atmosphere would be different. This time the restaurant was very quiet –I guess not many people are aware of its amazing cuisine yet. Between us, they don’t know what they miss! I wonder if when it gets full the service would still be up to scratch.

SERVICE: Simply Superb! I was impressed once again and had a warm welcome from the staff who remembered us immediately. From the Manager Stephanie to the waitress’s the service was fast and impeccable. Angeli is an angel. All of them are extremely nice, discreet and courteous. They are real professionals!

INTERIOR: Modern chic interior, brightly lit and vibrantly colored with an elegant but at the same time, sophisticated atmosphere. There is a bar and a dining area with the piano on one level and an additional dining area above. We chose to sit by the window on the upper level exactly at the same seats we were sitting on our previous visit. This time was daytime and we had a view of the beach as well.

LOCATION: In the heart of the Diplomatic District Street at West Bay on Corniche.

CUISINE: The true is that if you choose to come here you will surely enjoy the most delectable French Mediterranean cuisine. Portions are normal and flavorsome. If you check the menu through the web of the hotel you will see that it is varied and covers all tastes for very demanding clients.

BUSINESS LUNCH: For a 3 course menu, the quality of the food, the exceptional tastes and the perfect presentation I find the cost of QR 88 (€17.50) outstanding! (Extra selection of side dishes at QR 25, (€5.00)

As a Professional Travel Guide Writer and a person who is constantly trying new cuisines I have learnt to appreciate good food. I have become a food travel enthusiast and a good restaurant critic with much taste and experience. (Through experience comes confidence). Through travelling I seek out and sample all cuisines no matter how weird some are. When I visit a restaurant I feel like a critic and it is like being a consumer advocate. The more the meal costs, the higher will be the expectations. You see, eating out is so much more than what is served on your plate –it is the experience as a whole.

Exceptionally though and after my request to the Chef de Cuisine, I had the privilege to taste almost the whole of the menu with smaller portions of course, thus having a picture of the taste of most of what is on the business menu.

BUSINESS LUNCH: Nibbling and trying almost everything!

STARTERS/MAIN COURSE: We each had the Prawn Bisque, Wow!
Describing it right now it is as if I have the dish right in front of me. Well, I can only describe the texture as akin to silky smooth, slightly melted soft ice cream. In every bite there was a chunk of tender toothsome piece of prawn. The flavor was full-bodied, a sweetish seafood taste. The garlic bread matched so well here.

I tried the Confit Duck leg. I have to admit that I have tried this dish in so many restaurants but never had I been that satisfied with the taste. A true confit suggests softness and an intensity of flavor. The word evokes a certain rustic richness. Of course I found all the above on my exquisite confit, I enjoyed it to the maximum even though I knew that it is a calorie orgy. Words cannot describe how delicious the Duck Confit is here.

The piece of Foie Gras Terrine garnish got a tough cellular structure and was very creamy. It kept the flavor really wrapped up in the texture and it was superb! (QR 30 (€6.00) supplement.
Another Yummy dish was the Goat’s Cheese Tart (red onion marmalade) Magic crunchy pastry against roasted caramelized onions and creamy cheese… What a marvel!

Of course I tried everything my husband had. The Penne Pasta, comes in a vibrant presentation, cooked al dente, with a fragrant mushroom rich creamy tomato and herb sauce. Worth a try!

The Panfried Sea Bream dish comes with ratatouille, potato rosti & chive peurre blanc (creamy butter sauce well-seasoned). It is a delight in the mouth.

The last dish I tried was the Poached Roasted Chicken Breast. It is presented with green lentils, honey roasted carrots, broccoli & almonds. My husband loved it. It was cooked to perfection, tasty but it was a bit too rich for me.

BEVERAGE: There is an extensive selection of fine wines displayed in an all-glass wine cellar. (At least here the client has the opportunity to accompany the heavenly dishes with real wine or champagne in place of the fruity juice which is served in other restaurants around Doha.)

We accompanied our starters with a Cool Bottle of Sauvignon Blanc 2012 (Reserva) –Chile origin. It matched well with what we had. On the palate, citric, with excellent acidity and notes of bananas. It had long agreeable finish. The bottle costs QR 225 (€46.00)

Highly recommended for the main course is the Italian wine Ruffino. (Orvieto Classico 2011) It is a well-known producer of Tuscan wines. The bottle costs QR 200 (€40.50) Easy drinking, aromatic and refreshing on its own. It has a pleasant stinging of the tartness of green apple and lime zest, with a dry clean finish and lingering aroma of green almond.

DESSERT: I tried All 3 desserts from the menu in half portion! Lemon Cheese Cake & Raspberry, Milk Chocolate Profiteroles, and a tried the ice cream (selection of ice cream & sorbets)
My husband who has a sweet tooth loved all, but I go for the Lemon Cheese Cake and Raspberry delight, although sugar was balanced on all 3 desserts. The Lemon cheese cake was creamy and full of lemon flavor, refreshing, reminding me of summer.

Lunch is served from noon – 3:30pm while Dinner is served from 7:00pm to midnight.

CONCLUSION: Highly recommended for a Romantic Outing, a Business Lunch, or a Special Occasion.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank greekcypriot2009
Frederik W, Manager at La Sahtaine, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear greekcypriot2009

Thank you so much for your time to write the valuable feedback which I have shared with my team. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed everything at our La Sahtaine restaurant and on behalf of the whole team I would like to welcome you back soon at our restaurant

Frederik Wisselink
Food and Beverage Manager

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Feels like home”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We went last night to la sahtain again to have a quite dinner and we were impressed again with those girls, they directly recognized us and welcomed us so nicely! Angel the waitress is a gem she always recommend food up to our taste, we tried this time the duck with risotto which is delicious. I would highly recommend this place!!

• Visited December 2013
Frederik W, Manager at La Sahtaine, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Viviannax

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback which I have shared with my team. We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed and liked our services and atmosphere. On behalf of the team I would like to thank you for recommending us to your friends and hope to welcome you back soon to our La Sahtaine restaurant

Frederik Wisselink
Food and Beverage Manager
Karsiyaka, Cyprus
“Amazing”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went with friends last night for our wedding anniversary, we all said it was an amazing meal, very well present and the food was some of the best we have eaten anywhere in Doha, it still appears that not many people know about this restaurant, as it is not as busy as it could be. We have eaten in a lot of restaurants in Doha but this is by far the best in my opinion. In most restaurants the portions are huge and then I cannot eat all my meal, La Sahtaine, serves the perfect balance and there is not much left on my plate or anyone else's for that matter.
Lastly, the service is superb, from the manager Stephanie, to the waitress's and last but not least, the pianist, who never forgets that my husband loves Greensleeves and plays it for him. Well done once again, our night was made unforgettable by the staff.

• Visited November 2013
May E, Manager at La Sahtaine, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Edwina25

Thank you so much for you valuable feedback which I have shared with my team. We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services and atmosphere and also that we were able to make your anniversary unforgettable
Looking forward to welcome you again in our La Sahtaine restaurant.

Doha, Qatar
“A Perfect Place for A Special Day”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

In La Sahtaine We had a wonderful Lunch once again because its not the first time and certainly not the last lunch among a staff as thoughtful as devoted. The decoration of the restaurant make us feel like a place where we could spend hours. Today was a special day for us and you make it much more special. Thank you to all the staff, to the chef as well as the restaurant manager. See you soon.

• Visited November 2013
May E, Manager at La Sahtaine, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear nandaprasad

Thank you for you kind feedback which I have shared with the whole team. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your lunch, services and atmosphere and we were able to make it special. On behalf of the La Sahtaine team we would like to welcome you back soon in our restaurant.

Cork
“A definite must”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant about 2 weeks ago, and we honestly can't wait to return. We were warmly welcomed on arrival, and attentively, yet not intrusively waited on throughout our visit. The starters, mains and desserts were just delicious. Even the breads were warm and flavoursome. Our mains were steak, lamb and duck...all beautifully cooked and seasoned to perfection. The lamb just melted in your mouth! All in all one of the best restaurants I have visited in Doha.

Visited October 2013
May E, Manager at La Sahtaine, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Valerie O
Thank you for your valuable feedback which I have shared with my team. We are very glad to hear that you liked our services and enjoyed your meal with us, therefore on behalf of my whole team we would love and are looking forward to welcome you back soon in our La Sahtaine restaurant

Kind regards
La Sahtaine Manager

Been to La Sahtaine? Share your experiences!