“Doha's best fine dinning restaurant”
Review of Quisine by Guy Savoy - CLOSED

Quisine by Guy Savoy
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2013

At the time of writing this review I have been twice to Guy Savoy flagship restaurant and each time I'm surprised how good the food and service is, to me this is the best restaurant in Doha.

First and foremost this place is stunning from the view to the paintings on the all to the fireplace at the center this place is classy.

Now time to talk about the food and how amazing it is, I went there without low expectations but by the introduction of the first appetizer I was blown away by how good it was. The first dish of my 8 courses meal was the line-caught whiting with caviar which I was reluctant to eat since I'm not fond of sea food and thank god I did try it as it was so good I thought of trying all their sea food dishes oh and I forgot to mention that you can order infusions that comes with each dish.

The next dish was their lobster with avocado and again this dish taught me how good sea food can be when cooked perfectly like this, after that they served one of their signature dishes which is the artichoke soup with black truffle and layered brioche with truffle butter and all I can say is wow that soup is amazing and the brioche is so good that I could eat it all day long.

Next it was time for the main course and again I got the sea bass which was sensational, it was perfectly cook , perfectly seasoned and the skin was crispy. Then we got the pigeon cooked in three ways which was a good but the foie gras was a little bit on the salty side.

Now it's time for the grand finale dessert, the first dessert was grapefruit terrine with tea sauce and it was divine, then the "pearl" arrived which is a white chocolate orb filled with diced pineapple and passion fruit syrup and as they pour the syrup on top it opens a little showing you what lovely treat that is awaiting you and it didn't disappoint.

After that lovely meal I thought that we are done but was I wrong as they have introduced us to their dessert trolley filled with different sweets from ice creams, puddings and basil & raspberry macrons. Then we saw another trolley coming our way filled with fresh herbal tea with kinds I never knew existed like chocolate mint tea which was something I never tried before.

In the end it's true that Quisine by Guy Savoy is the most expensive restaurant in Doha but it's expensive for a good reason as you can't find this level of food and service elsewhere but here and I hope more people give it a chance, you owe it to yourself to go there for that special occasion or if you just want to try the best food in Doha.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had been in the flagship Guy Savoy restaurant in Paris, rotisserie, the one in Singapore. I am a real follower of GS. The one in Doha is as good as Paris. I didnt go there with high expectations but from service to the quality of food, everything was fabolous. I and my guest ordered different dishes and all was specacular. Every detail is so well made in this place. Paintings on the wall, the small herbs that you can choose and drink fresh, humidor on the wall. And one of the nicest bar I have seen in my life with a cool artcraft. It can be called a cigar lounge I guess. Lightning, decoration, interior design is so fantastic.

Of course, all could be more meaningful with a glass of wine. Oh well, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a special treat for our wedding anniversary we tried Doha's most expensive but undoubtedly best restaurant. Great location, decor, ambience, tables, glassware, crockery etc.. But all of that is insignificant when compared to the world class service and cuisine.
There are plenty of staff from around the world (not surprisingly a number of them from France) and they are very well trained, extremely attentive, professional but also friendly and happy to talk with clients. We were invited to tour the restaurant, including the wonderful kitchen where we met the Head Chef and her team.
We had the the large "taster" menu which costs circa USD 300 for something like 15 courses if you include the multiple amuse-bouche and the "sweet" trolley at the end. Not one course disappointed, but the stand outs included the wonderful lobster starter, the truffle artichoke soup with brioche, the sea bass, the incredible cheese selection and the aptly named Pearl. They even cut the herbs fresh at your table from live plants to infuse your tea.
If you can affiord it, take advantage of this great opportunity. Magnifique!

1  Thank Garry M
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went as a small group. Had a number of half-size plates, rather than normal size so as to try more dishes. Started with lobster (cooled with CO2), followed by turbot, then lamb and artichoke soup. All were perfect, with different breads with each course; in addition little "snacks" were offered between each course. Very expensive, and no alcohol.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have been to Guy Savoy's restaurant in Paris, and this is a worthy representation in Qatar. The menu seems about the same as France, with some "wow factor" dishes that you don't see anywhere else in Qatar. The favorites at my table were the artichoke soup with brioche and truffle butter (the same as Paris, though the portion size here was a bit small); a "veal knuckle," a ridiculously rich and sticky shank of veal with truffle mashed potatoes; pigeon several ways, including a nice breast cooked rare and sort of offal sausage; and the coconut dessert, a relatively light creation with coconut various ways. Another interesting feature is the bread trolley, with several different types of French bread. The "buckwheat" (main house bread) is great (though not as good as Paris), and the others are a bit hit-and-miss. They also have an excellent cheese trolley, again perhaps a first in Doha. All in all, I would say that the food can be fairly compared to that at Restaurant Guy Savoy in Paris.

Service was very good, although not quite at Paris levels. A few different people (Arabic and Western) took care of our table -- the staff's passion for the food and attention to detail is obviously strong (for example, the staff explained each dish well), but often the team looked a bit confused on the floor and their accents were sometimes strong, making it occasionally hard to understand. Whenever I had a question about a particular ingredient or cooking technique, they were always able to answer, however.

The restaurant is an attractive, warm space, though a bit too many earth tones for my taste. (It uses the same beige marble floor and beige-and-brown everywhere as many restaurants in Doha.) The centerpiece is a fireplace, which seems strange for Doha, but somehow is a nice touch. The bar is really beautiful, with a mural covering the entire ceiling and some offbeat art pieces. I like the fact that the bar is at waist height, so you sit in a normal chair (not a bar stool). Unfortunately they don't serve alcohol, so it's all kind of a waste.

The prices are eye-popping for Qatar -- the main tasting menu is over QAR 1,000. You expect these kinds of prices at a Michelin three-star restaurant in Paris, but to ask the same price in Doha is a bit cheeky. There's nothing else even close price-wise in Doha, so Quisine by Guy Savoy will really have to excel if they want to justify these levels. I can say that they are within range of being able to do so, but need to improve for me to leave dinner fully comfortable that it was worth it and ready to come back soon.

Overall I am pleased to have this restaurant in Doha and would definitely choose it if I had a special occasion or important business function.

2  Thank michaeldoh