“Good value: Honest food”

Royal Istanbul Restaurant
Ranked #341 of 882 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Turkish
Doha
“Good value: Honest food”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is my third review today on 'honest parallel economy' restos in Doha. Not easy to find.
Whether you are in the mood for a a chicken or lamb shawarma (7 QAR) or a Fatayer (4-6 QAR), or something more substantial - you can find it all at this classic West Bay Petrol Station Resto
Hummus, Mutabbal, of Taboulah at 8 QAR
All kinds of spincach disches for 6-8 QAR - how about spinach, labnah and cheese?
Mutton Biryani at 25 QAR
A full chicken for 30 QAR
A whole sheri fish for 35 QAR

Honest food at fair prices. A friend said their turnover was $1 million QAR/month.
Can this be true? It doesn't matter. This is a great cheap eat.
While you are at the West Bay Petrol Station - be sure to pick up some fruits at the fruit store.
How about pomegranates from Egypt, Spain, or India by the case?
Wonderful pineapples from India and lemons from Turkey. wow.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Guide_to_Great_Meals

• Turkish first
Doha
“Regular Thursday Night Shwarma”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We get our shwarmas here just about every week. They are the best we have had in Doha (and we have had a few!) The standard shwarma is a great size, the jumbo is much bigger and comes with chips, and the plate shwarma will feed a small family. Great value, great choice, basic place. We have only done take out, I can imagine it could be hot and busy as a sit down place, but great value and great with the family if you have children who love a bit of spice.

Visited June 2013
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,960 helpful votes
“Tasty food, Fair price but Gets Noisy when families with children drop by!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

It is a nice budget Turkish restaurant by the West bay Petrol Station.
We dropped by the first day of our visit to Doha because the rest members of the family love Kebab while I love the Turkish spicy sauces.
It is a comfortable place to sit but the day we visited it the restaurant was crowded and there were families with small children making much noise which was disturbing a lot.
It seems a quite popular spot probably because the portions are big and everything is tasty but I denied returning again scared that it would be noisy again so we called them and everything was brought to our place instead. (It is a Take away restaurant by the way)!

What I did not like was that smoking is allowed in the restaurant and that bothered me a lot, and seeing families having their children standing on the tables made me want to leave immediately –although the tables are being cleaned the moment one sits.
I have never seen so spoiled kids in my life with parents ignorant of what their children are doing. I guess they have learnt to live this way but the picture I get is that probably nobody cared to show them how they should behave! It is disappointing and this spoils the picture of the restaurant.

Anyway, we had hummus for Qr.8, and three other spicy and delicious dips all reasonably priced.
Served in the plate Meat Kebab, Chicken Tikka, Meat Tikka cost Qr. 28, but if in a sandwich they cost Qr. 10.
The Royal Istanbul Pizza costs 33 the large, 25 midium 18 the small one.
Soft Drinks cost Qr. 2 and the large bottle of water costs Qr.4.

Shrimp BBQ is at Qr. 130 and the most expensive plate in the Restaurant seems to be the Royal Istanbul Mixed Grill for Qr. 130

The staff is very punctual and professionals. I would not return but my son loves coming here with his wife for a quick snack. The food is delicious and I enjoyed whatever I had.
I recommend it to people who are on a budget. The food is good.
The interior is dark and it is actually ideal to drop by, eat something quickly and leave.
(Free Home Delivery)

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank greekcypriot2009

Been to Royal Istanbul Restaurant? Share your experiences!