“A real "Desert Rose"”

$122.00*
8-Hour Cultural Doha Private Day Tour
Ranked #9 of 110 things to do in Doha
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Sheikh Faisal bin Qassim Al Thani has a massive collection that will impress any visitor. There is something for everyone here. We were able to guide ourselves through the museum along with our privately hired guide for the day that has visited this museum often and if we had questions there was someone there to answer them. You could easily spend hours exploring here it is a matter of personal taste. The fossil room was fascinating -the weaponry collection - the automotive and marine collection - Replicas of a traditional Qatari home. From a Tropicana Hotel Las Vegas matchbook to dinosaur bones - you will find the personal collection of Sheikh Faisal beyond words. On a side note - while in the area we also visited the Camel Race track at Al Sheehaniya to watch the morning training of the racing camels - very worthwhile as well.

1  Thank Chocomae
There are newer reviews for Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani Museum

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is like the billionaire version of those reality TV shows about extreme hoarding by trashy people. It is slightly better than average - more surreal than anything - but I am docking a star for relative inaccessibility and lack of a web site.

Located about 25 km west of Doha - a rental car got me there - the museum is one man's collection of poorly labeled stash. There are dozens and dozens of cars, dating from an 1880s steam model to various Cadillacs and high-end autos of more recent vintage. I noticed just one Rolls-Royce though.

But before you get to the vast halls containing the cars (and one plane), you must walk through endless galleries of weapons, ceramics, photos, really bad artwork that was probably presented as gifts, clothing, furniture, some low-end stamps (there are better ones in my "shoebox" collection) and god knows what else that washed over me. There is also a calligraphy room.

Perhaps the highlight is opened only by request, the Saddam Hussein room containing some of his clothes, a cigar and gold-plated weapons. The museum's director apparently has personal ties with some major Iraqi bigwigs. I took photos but he asked me not to publish them on the Web.

The museum is open 9 am to 6 pm except Friday and one other day I forget. Maybe best to call ahead (keep calling if there is no answer) before going to the trouble of venturing out here. There is no signpost on the highway. Exit the highway when you get to Shahaniya, do a complete 180 and drive along the small road that parallels the highway for a mile or 2. Then you will spot a rusted sign alerting you to the museum. If you're a bit worried, ask the guys at the gas station after you exit the highway.

PS Since you already here, I recommend a quick bite at the Al Shahinya pastry store - pictured. I had great lebnahs - basically pita bread stuffed with honey or cheese or felafels. Beautiful.

2  Thank dgdevil
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am not much of museum person, but this eclectic collection of "stuff" has something for everyone! These are Sheikh Faisal's personal collections that he has chosen to share with the public. Firstly, it is interesting because this guy just has A LOT of stuff! And then the pieces themselves are quite neat.

We stopped by as part of the Heritage Tour that we did with Qatar Inbound Tours and I am glad we did! The museum is built like a large fort and houses a variety of collections including an impressive number of weapons, particularly daggers and swords from throughout the Middle East, a large antique car collection, manuscripts and documents, photos, Dhow boats (actual ones as well as smaller models), furniture, doors, dishes and pottery, paintings, clothing, old electronics (think type-writers, sewing machines, radios and record players), headlights, various miniatures and so much more! There are even a small airplane, a catholic confessional, a desert camp display and camel caraiges. Clearly not all of the items are specific to Qatar or the Middle East, but they are quite interesting nonetheless.

Make sure to ask to see the fossil room. There are some fascinating pieces found in the Sahara desert that include very well preserved ancient sea live, insects, and a dinosaur head. There are also massive shells and desert roses (sand formations).

The museum is free so you can call ahead and arrange your own visit or see if it can be included in an organized tour. (No, they are not paying me for promotion, but we did have a great private guided tour that stopped at the museum with Qatar Inbound Tours with Nasser Mohammed as our guide so I would definitely them!)

Thanks Sheikh Faisal for sharing! It made for a fun and unique afternoon!

2  Thank MallieX
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Please call the museum in advance to get a guided access, all for free. The entry fees to the museum is free. Thanks to generosity of the owner of the museum.
This museum has a collection of items from around the world, which reminds me of Burrell Collection in Glasgow, Scotland, where a single man's passion for artifacts has preserved and frozen history of many civilizations. The most significant of collections in this museum are cars and automobiles used in Qatar since the dawn of technology here. The other set of collection is a set fossils.
I do not know of anything that one may dislike at this museum.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Sheikh Faisal has an extraordinary collection of objects that he generously allows the public to view. There's an incredible "WOW" factor to this museum as you enter yet another huge room filled with items you just don't expect. We went with my sister & her family so there were children ranging from three up to fifteen. The three year old wasn't overly interested in anything but running (as you'd expect) but the rest of us were enthralled by the sheer scope and range of what we saw. We got nowhere near seeing the entire collection on display but we were only there for about 2 hours due in part to the three year old becoming too difficult to manage any longer.

This isn't a state run museum with all their resources so many items don't have information about them visible and there's not necessarily a structure to the location of pieces that I could tell but it was an amazing place to visit and we were sorry we hadn't visited earlier in our trip so we could have gone back again and again. When you go ring ahead and make an appointment so there will be a guide to take you through and you will get more information but also keep in mind that you are privileged to be able to see the collection and don't be upset or bothered by any lack of written descriptions etc.

The museum isn't all that easy to find but if you follow the highway to the Camel racing track and take that exit then use the flyover to do a u-turn and head back to Doha. After around 6-7kms you will see a smallish white sign on the right, follow that road and you should see a "sentry box" which is the gate to the museum. You'll also notice crops being grown as the museum is located at Sheikh Faisal's farm.