Opal by Gordon Ramsay at The St. Regis Doha
Doha
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The service is horrible. It takes a long time to get noticed by the staff for any request. I visited on a Monday where they usually have a burger night. Most of the staff did not know which burger is offered in the burger&pint offer. One staff even told me that it was the lamb burger when it was actually the Opal wagyu one. When asked what was inside the burger, they did not know and I was told to refer to the menu. I was also sent the wrong drink.
As for the food, the quality was great, the taste not so much. The braised ribs were too acidic, the crab cakes average, and the wagyu burger was lacking.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AdnanMerheb

• Polish first
Doha, Qatar
“Excellent Brunch”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I visited the restaurant for brunch on Friday 30th August with a group of friends and it was an amazing experience.
You need to book ahead for the brunch as it gets booked up quickly. There are a choice of 3 prices, 250 for soft drinks, 375 for selected wine, beer and sparkly wine and 625 for selected wine, beer, sparkly wine and 1 bottle of champagne. The food menu is split into 4 sections, breakfast, starters, main course and dessert, each has between 4 and 8 choices. Highlights for us were: Eggs Benedict & Scrambled Egg (breakfast), thai crab cake & corn, potato and sausage salad & lamb salad (starters), bresaola & catch of the day & lamb burger (main course), french toast & fruit salad (dessert). The food was all freshly cooked/prepared and was delicious. It was a great chance to try some dishes that we hadnt had before. Our group had a mixture of soft drinks and selected alcohol drinks options and this included bottomless still/sparkling water and coffees too. We also received bread and pizza bread on arrival.
The service was very good, quick and professional. This is the only a la carte brunch in Doha - you just keep ordering what dishes you want one at a time, and they come quickly. An excellent idea.
Overall it an excellent experience that I would highly recommend, well worth the money and I hope to return again.

County Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful staff and food”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I attended Friday brunch here with my husband and 10 month old daughter. There is an a la carte menu consisting of four courses - Brunch, Starters, Mains and Desserts. On each course there are five or six items and you can choose as many as you wish from each course or multiples of the same if you so desire. Each dish is a small portion so myself and my husband ordered most of them and then shared them. Every dish was delicious. I especially enjoyed the Opal mini lamb burger and the fish of the day. It was lovely to be able to sample such a wide variety of foods and yet order them from our table instead of running up and down to the cooking stations. The staff were attentive and we were able to move as quickly or slowly through the courses as we wished. They were very good with our young daughter also who really enjoyed meeting all the staff who were so lovely to her that she was a very happy and content little girl as we enjoyed our meal. Will definitely be back again.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Yevragca
Doha, Qatar
“Getting better, but the W reigns supreme”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've eaten at this restaurant a few times now, but always for lunch (once for brunch). I haven't yet sampled their dinner menu, so this review is for the business lunch. First, the good points - the food is generally good, it is supposed to be casual, not fine dining, despite the prices - QR100 for 3 courses is good for Doha. They really rip you off with the drinks though - QR42 for a large water and wine at QR70 a glass. The restaurant is situated in the St Regis, one of Doha's newest and poshest hotels, which is just outside of town. The hotel has a pretentious and overpriced reputation (well earned), so this was not the best place for Ramsay to site a casual dining restaurant. His last one in The Pearl closed when it lost its liquour licence. He has another, fine dining restaurant in the same hotel, but with prices double what he charges in London, I haven't tried it yet. The restaurant faces the sea, but was designed by a blind man, because the sea-facing wall is largely blocked off, with only small windows - absolutely crazy. The outdoor area, which I tried in better weather - is terrible - no sea or pool view despite it facing both, and you instead have a view of a stair well, with the occasional annoyance of hotel guests passing by on the way back from the pool. As I said, the food is good, and they have increased the menu choices, but the hotel's location and reputation mean it will never beat Doha's award-winning business lunch in the W hotel in West Bay (see my separate review). The service is good, a bit too quick the last time I visited, and just a bit too overbearing for a "casual" restaurant. Not quite a nightmare, Gordon, but a missed opportunity.

Doha
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not bad”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We visited the opal yesterday with our children. The staff was very welcoming, the starters, we had a ceviche and pepper squid were excellent. The main courses were the wahyu burger, first rate, the local fish dish was just ok. The desserts were simple but delicious. We had drinks in the conservatory, a delightful gin cocktail and an unusual Bloody Mary, which was not as sharp as one would have liked. Overall, a pleasant experience. Our younger kid was creating a riot and the hotel staff were very good with him.