“Great Resturant”

Ranked #36 of 895 Restaurants in Doha
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I loved opal .. It has great atmosphere , servis & food that's priced reasonably & tastes great , I went there twice with my friends for lunch .. The first time I had the hamburger & the apple soup ,, it was excellent , the second time I had the row hammure as an appetizer and one of the pizzas as a main it was also great , I recommend trying the smoked drinks its amazing ... One of my friends keeps complaining that the food is too salty & she returned one dish and was about to returne the second but I thought it was fine and just salty enough , will definitely go back again.
I was a great fan of maze at the pearl & was so disappointed when it closed, but thanks gorden ramzi for compensating with not just one but tow restaurants , can't wait to try gorden ramzi Resturant next .

There are newer reviews for Opal by Gordon Ramsay at The St. Regis Doha

Reviewed June 17, 2012

In the past, we have enjoyed going to Gordon Ramsey's Maze that used to be at the Pearl in Doha. It has now closed. Some of the staff has moved over to this restaurant so it was nice to see familiar faces (not that we went to Maze often. It was a tad expensive, though excellent). So, when we heard about Opal opening up, we were eager to try it for lunch. It was very enjoyable experience overall.

The staff were warm and friendly in a very genuine way. The food was quite good, really. My wife had Hamour (fish) in citric sauce. Apparently the acid from the citrus "cooks" the fish. Who knew?? Well, she did. That's why she ordered it. I had an Arabic pizza. It was very nice, with a thin crust, halloum cheese, and nice bits of chicken. It was nice and light. We ordered a "molecular" cocktail. My wife ordered a bubble tea with little passionfruit "caviar" which she enjoyed. Then, the waiter came and gave us a complimentary beverage, which was a cranberry juice served in a beautiful shaped "vase". It had a small bit of smoldering wood placed inside which gave off a lovely smoke smell, and added a smoky taste to the cranberry juice. It was interesting. We met the "mixologist" and he was a really nice gentleman who has been working on molecular cocktails since 2008. He told us about some of his other creations and they sounded quite amazing, really.

The restaurant itself is beautiful, comfortable, with a lovely view over the Persian/Arabian Gulf. It was quite relaxed and warm. It was quite full when we were there, but it wasn't loud or confining...just comfortable, and enjoyable.

The price was really quite decent. We have spent the same amount of money in places that were far less appealing. So, really, overall, this was a great place to go. We thoroughly enjoyed it. And it is located in the St. Regis Hotel which is an absolutely beautiful hotel. I do highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have visited Opal during both lunch and dinner. Both times i had a great and different atmosphere.The food is simply amazing, this is what you get when you are dinning at a Gorden Ramsey resturant. Each dish is uniquely made and had a strange mixture of elements that really bring out the flavour. For example, who would think of combining octopus salad with pinapple? A strange yet successful combination in many dishes presented. The pepper squid was so tasty, crunchy and fresh and for the main course i ordered the burger. It was light, not too filling and the meat wasn't over cooked. The size of the burger was perfect.
For drinks, we ordered the smoky, non-alchoholic 'virgin mule' and indeed, it was truely 'smoky'. We could taste and see the smoke puring out of our dink which was elegantly presented, poured right at our table. I have never seen this drink anywhere before!
The service was excellent. We were greeted with smiles and welcomes right before we entered the resturant and until we left, by the staff, as well as the kind and friendly manager himself! Even the chef came over and introduced himself to us politely, which made us feel more welcome.
As i have mentioned, the atmosphere was great. It was a completely different experience during both times of the day. During lunch it was quieter, more relaxing as you can clearly see the sea. The resturant had a great view. During dinner, the atmosphere was busier, louder and more active.
The main negative points i would say is: smoking. It gets too smelly and i think it is unfair for non-smokers to suffer while trying to enjoy their meal. Even though smokers are given tables on the far side of the resturant, it doesn't really make a difference were they sit, the smell gets everywhere and personally i think it is awfull. The second negative point: the prices. Although the prices are a little high, personally when comparing it to other 5-star resturants in Doha, they are quite similar, maybe Opal being a little more expensive. However having the resturant in a grand and luxurious Hotel such as St.Regis, i find the prices to be reasonable because of its location. Nontheless, if i was asked if i would recomend this resturant, i would certainly say YES, and I will difinitely visit again!!

1  Thank AishaQatar
Reviewed June 10, 2012

A friend and I were debating where to go for lunch when we thought of St. Regis as it had just opened up. When we had been told 2 of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants were here we picked the more informal one - Opal. The view was lovely - a great sea view from where we sat. The menu was not as extensive as some may think but they do have pizza on the back which is a bit of a surprise. I picked the spring Chicken with veggies and mashed potatoes as a side, my friend picked the red snapper, but they substituted the snapper for hammour (local fish) as they didn't have snapper. The service was impeccable - the waiters were so friendly and they were quite quick too. My chicken was absolutely outstanding - very juicy and soft and the mashed potatoes were creamy and delicious. I was probably as impressed with this restaurant as I was with Maze in the Pearl. I tried some of my friends fish and it was equally good. I would definitely go back to Opal, it is not as expensive as some of the other Gordon Ramsey restaurants (it also depends on what you order I suppose) it was certainly worth it.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Opal is a bistro-style restaurant, with some tenuous connection (I'm not sure what exactly) with Gordon Ramsey.

The dining room is a pleasant space, with good sea views.

The food, unfortunately, is only passable and the service, while effusive, is not particularly good (referring to our children as the little prince and the princess may be funny in a greasy spoon cafe, but in a five-star hotel it simply indicates that five-star training has not been received.)

Before I turn to the food let me first deal with the bill, because this gives a tangible reference point. An afternoon lunch for two adults and two children (who ate from a children's menu), including two glasses of wine, came to almost QAR900 (US$250). I don't necessarily flinch at paying this price, but for that kind of money I expect nothing short of exquisite food and perfect service - we received neither.

My starter of breaded prawns was served with Marie-Rose sauce and some sort of coleslaw. I was OK, in a cheap and cheerful bistro way, but I have a suspicion that the prawns were bought ready-breaded.

My wife and children had a plate of mixed cold mezze, which were so-so. The stuffed vine leaves were however fairly dire. A variation on a caprese salad was also ordered and this was fine, but as a caprese salad requires mere assembly rather than any culinary skills there are no marks for that.

When we ordered our food were also offered a pizza as part of our starters and we declined because we wanted the children to have an appetite for their main courses. Despite this a pizza arrived, a perfectly fine margherita, but we didn't want it.

Main course for me was veal fillet and my wife ordered chicken. The kids had hamour and chips, and hamburger sliders, also with chips. The veal was good and cooked as ordered. The chicken was however an odd affair. It was a small whole chicken cooked spatchcock-style. In itself it was fine, but there was no hint on the menu that this was what would be presented. To accompany the main courses my wife and I ordered green beans with parmesan shavings (which was nothing more than the sum of its parts), and a salad of cabbage, which turned out to be the exact same coleslaw that accompanied my starter - to my mind this was unforgivable.
The children's dishes were fine, though the home-made chips were underdone.

Deserts of a chocolate tart and a panna cotta were clearly bought-in.

So, was it a bad meal? No - and for QAR400 it would have been fairly priced. However as we were charged QAR900 it is against this price point that it must be judged. It was not worth QAR900 and I will not eat there again. Unless there are radical changes made here I think Opal is best avoided.

3  Thank John P