“Ideal for Lunch”

Jones the Grocer - Gate Mall
Ranked #205 of 857 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Cafe, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Newly opened in Qatar. Situated on the ground floor of the Gate Mal in Doha city.
Sandton, South Africa
“Ideal for Lunch”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This popular restaurant is ideal for lunch with healthy eats and a good choice of hot mains. Visit the cheese cold room - a mouthwatering selection of cheese.

Visited October 2012

• Arabic first
Limburg, Netherlands
“Very good breakfast, but airco too cold ! Take your sweater!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had breakfast here on Friday dec. 28 . It is a smart looking, modern restaurant and bakery in the middle of downtown Doha. Accoustics pretty bad. Good atmosphere, but why the airco has te be so low? We were with a party of 4 and 2 of us were freezing while outside it was a lovely 22 degrees C. The food was good, service OK. I honestly think that if it would have been a bit warmer we would have stayed for more food, coffee and deserts and a relax a while longer.
Having said all this ...it is defenitely a nice place.

Doha, Qatar
“Ho hum”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Another chain cafe for Doha, I was keen to see what sets them apart, we've got the Canadian's upstairs (they do a great 45r set lunch), the German chain who do pasta out the back and now the Aussies downstairs in the Gate (sprint across 8 lanes of traffic) Mall. Well after a visit not sure what makes it Australian, none of the staff I came into contact with were Australian, cheese, risotto, bugers and salads doesn't exactly scream Australia either? Maybe given the prices, it's because all the ingrediants are flown direct from Sydey Market?? Service was prompt at the front door and I really like the look of the place, bright and airy. I stop in here often on my way home to buy bread, which I think is some of the best loaves in Doha, not doughy and sweet, airy, crispy skinned, savoury. There is a cheese room which certainly looks pretty but don't expect people with cheese knowledge actually working it, go in with what you want in mind. One day I asked the lass to package up 3 fondue cheeses for me and she looked at me like a martian. Asked her if a particular cheese she had was winter or summer milking and again nothing. Ok let's get to the menu, it's out of my price league for a regular lunch spot, I think it's trying to be more of a restaurant, so will probably return to try it in that context. With my 50Q "Thursday" lunch budget it was a bit of struggle, but settled on the Wagyu Beef Pie which comes with a green (raddiccio/curly endive) side salad for 48Q, sadly I was out of budget for a drink (a cup of boiling water and tea bag was OMG 16Q). My order was taken quickly and it arrived within 5 minutes, excellent service thank you. The pie unfortunantly is the casserole variety, the great Aussie pie hunt in Doha still continues (so far Golf Club is in the lead). Casserole pies are what your mum makes when there's leftovers from the night before, it's like a cheats version of a pie. OMG big chunks of carrot and celery should never be in a beef pie!!!! Now wagyu is known for it's rich, soft almost gelantenous and fatty nature but what beef there was in this pie had the texture of good ole stew beef to me. There's nothing wrong with that, the best pies are made from the lips and bits but the expectation of a Wagyu pie is completly different to what is served, your expecting a premium pie at this price, and this doesn't have the developed flavour or amount of beef of a premium beef pie. Are Aussies really paying $13AU (48R) for a casserole pie with carrots and celery? Now look as you can see I'm a pie purist but don't let that stop you from trying Jones the Grocer, I'll still be getting my bread from them and I'll come back to try a meal at dinner prices. I was lucky enough to receive a christmas cake as a gift from this store and I have admit it was the best Xmas cake I've ever had! The place is busy with locals, business people and families and all in all I think that's great for Doha. Just having options here is fantastic and slowly but surely the overall level of service, food and value will get better and better in this city as they compete for customers. Go join the fun!

2 Thank SumoDoha
Borrego Springs, California
“Amazing Deserts”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This place has great karma...everyone there seems happy, including the staff. Perfectly beautiful, decadent deserts. Terrific service.

Visited October 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“So good I'd rather not share...”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I hesitate to write this review since I really don't want to share Jones with anyone else.

I took my little office out to lunch here and everyone loved it! We're expats and it was like a little taste of home (yes, it's Aussie, but we're glutton for anything Western). The charcuterie and cheese plate was fantastic. Fish n' chips were awesome. The chicken burger got rave reviews as did the caprese sandwich. Sadly, the waygu burger was done way more than the requested medium but the toppings made up for it. The breakfast/brunch items have all been delicious--especially the big breakfast and eggs benedict (although, the Spanish dish was not my favorite--not by presentation or execution, just not my favorite item on the menu). Great coffee options and the desserts are absolutely divine.