“Calming Asian ambience and food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Nusantao
Ranked #166 of 839 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, American, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Calming Asian ambience and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful Asian restaurant serving a fusion of Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Indonesian cuisine. I've been there several times as I found the food to be more than agreeable to my discerning Asian palate. Their dim sums are lovely, and portions are just nice. The ambience is also very soothing and wait staff are very polite and attentive without hovering. However I did try their Friday brunch and was quite disappointed by the buffet. The Oriental array, apart from sushi, was very limited and quite bland. I would still recommend Nusantao if you're looking to have an a la carte dinner but yeah I won't be doing their brunch again I think...

Ahmed K, Hotel Manager at Nusantao, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
I am delighted to know that you always have an enjoyable and memorable dining experience in Nusantao here at the Four Seasons Hotel Doha. However for your Friday Brunch experience we were unable to meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we will look into your comments and we will make sure that we will exceed your expectation on your next visit brunch visit.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in Nusantao in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Good food and good service.. The ambiance is also good and the drinks. Try the Thai food menu.. Awesome!!
Came with friends and family and we just keep on coming back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Ahmed K, Hotel Manager at Nusantao, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent dining experience at Nusantao here at the Four Seasons Hotel Doha.

It is encouraging to know that our team was able to provide you with excellent dishes and service. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to our team.

It is always a pleasure having you with us and looking forward to your future visits at Nusantao.

GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,860 helpful votes
“Authentic Traditional Cuisines of 6 Regions of Exceptional Quality and Taste!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have always loved traditional cuisines and we had the opportunity to do it through Nusantao again this time in Doha. You see here one can experience the authentic traditional cuisines of Japan, China, India, the Middle East, Thailand and Indonesia. The Pan-Asian menu of the Nusantao places an emphasis on the traditional cuisine more than on novelty dishes, thus one can experience the very best of these 6 regions at the same restaurant even on the same day.

For those of you who wonder what the name of the restaurant means… Well it is actually a combination of the word ‘nusantara’ which means Archipelago. ‘Tao’ on the other hand is a Chinese word signifying way or direction –evokes the seafaring heritage of early Arab traders of pearls, gems, precious woods and spices, returning to the Gulf with luxurious goods and legendary tales. The fragrant spices at the “Sea Kitchens” of Nusantao are alive here with the rich culinary traditions and theatrical cooking techniques of the Far East.

We did want to explore all six cuisines ourselves and I thought to point out one or two vegetables I like more and then relied completely on what Mijonur recommended. From the moment I referred to what I like he knew exactly the appropriate dish suitable for us. (I am probably spelling the name wrongly) Mijonur and the rest are a group of professionals well versed on how to recommend the appropriate dishes depending on the likes of their guests. I find this incredible! We asked for different dishes in smaller portions so that in a way have the opportunity to taste as more as possible. From that point on we let the menu travel us. We did the same for wine and let the sommelier check the menu and bring us the one matching best.

While our dinner was being prepared I had the opportunity to walk towards the kitchens and watch all this theatrical cooking behind huge glasses with the busy professional chefs performing and working miracles behind their bench. It was as if I was having a trip to different spots of the Far East, in different cuisines and different restaurants at the same time. I have never come across something similar in any other restaurant I visited….and indeed I can count so many through my travelling experience.

We were asked if we preferred, to sit outside at the covered lush with tropical plants patio which looked like an oasis –something like an earthly paradise. This is how I felt the moment I stepped outside and saw all this beauty, the relaxing atmosphere, the live fire, similar to which I have never seen in my entire life! While going through the patio the soothing soundtrack carried me away for seconds to some dreamy shore in Asia. I would have preferred to sit outside but it was quite humid and warm so I decided to remain indoors which was just as good.

The interior is by all means modern and glamorous with leather textiles in colours of bronze amber and silver with flashes of turquoise. Tables are quite small and we had to add a second one to get all the different dishes we had on the table.

The menu included some Japanese Appetisers which were the Chawanmushi (foie gras, egg custard, wasabi) for 30, Mizuna salad (Mizuna leaves, Myoga ginger, Yuzu dressing) for 50, Crispy soft shell crab salad for 60, and the Ebi tempura (tiger prawn tempura, Yuzu pepper sauce) for 60. The main course was the Yuzu pepper sea bass (Japanese Yuzu citrus flavoured grilled sea bass) for 110.
Out of the “Chef’s Selection” we had the Susi and Sashimi Platter that comes in 6 pieces of Sashimi, 3 pieces of Nigiri, 6 pieces of Maki rolls for 230. (we had a smaller portion)
We had the Thai Som tam malakor appetisers (green papaya salad, peanuts for 40. Our Indonesian dish was the Gado gado salad (Kang koon, peanut sauce) for 35.
From the Chinese cuisine we had the Wok vegetables (bok choy, water chestnuts, shimeji mushroom and asparagus) for 50.

We accompanied our meal with a bottle of Luiji Bosca wine coming from Argentina for 300 that the sommelier recommended and he was so right.

For dessert we had the Mixed Fruit platter, a Mango pudding and the Nama chocolate. Each was rated 40 and all the above prices are in Quatari Riyal.

Each and every dish was exceptional, fresh ingredients and of the highest quality and taste, exactly what we expected to get out of a Four Season’s Restaurant. Everything was nicely cooked and prepared right that moment. The white wine we had was soft and well balanced with the finest taste matching with all the above we had.
If you are after the highest quality and taste this is the right spot for you. Let the menu travel you as it did to us. I highly recommend it by all means!

1 Thank greekcypriot2009
Ahmed K, Hotel Manager at Nusantao, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Many thanks for your in-depth review, following your Nusantao experience. It was such a pleasure having you with us and I will certainly share your detailed remarks to the rest of the team especially Mijanur who I believed was a big part of your wonderful experience.

Again thank you for your lovely feedback and I hope you continue to choose to dine with us here at Four Seasons Hotel Doha.

london
“Excellent pan Asian cuisine and amazing Friday brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Dined here 3 times whist staying at the four seasons. An excellent Asian selection from India, Japan, Indonesia and Chinese. Great attentive service. However special praise for the Friday brunch, absolutely first class for children and adults alike. Beautifully presented and tasty multiple offerings. Highly recommended especially for brunch.

Ahmed K, Hotel Manager at Nusantao, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I am delighted that you had an excellent dining at Nusantao and thank you for your encouraging comments.

We do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to enjoy yet another authentic Asian Cuisine.

Doha, Qatar
“Great Friday Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I think I have a contender for my favourite brunch spot against Spice Market! The decor is lovely and modern with open kitchens and wonderful natural light brightening up the place. Service was excellent through the brunch, the brunch goes from 12-4 and unlike many others around town, alcohol service continued until 4. We had the sparkling package, which was sparkling, red and white wine. There wasn't a higher package or a package which included beer which agreeved hubby. It makes sense to include beer in a brunch alcohol package from a hotels point of view because a. it's filling and 2. it's only 5% and some people prefer that slower pace. It was regular 40Q prices if you wanted a beer. Anyway lets get to the food - fantastically good! Real prawns, not those weird bright pink jelly frozen numbers. Musells, lobster tails and oysters. Great salad with an Asian slant, fresh herbs, beef salad etc So good and was pleased it wasn't served in amuse bouche sized thimbles, the current hotel craze. So frustrating going to a brunch you find a nice salad and you have to get 6 thimbles, up end on your plate and then stylize an entree! and the poor dishwasher. Sushi freshly prepared too. The mains, wow some amazing curries all beautifully displayed. A wonderful roast turkey, wow what an effort to go to! A cracking roast beef which was tender and cooked to perfection (there was yorkies and veg). The peice de resistance a foie gras station, where a lovely gentleman cookes up some slices and pops them on toast, heaven and a real treat, you gotta battle the French teenagers in the line though lol. It was great the kids had an area away from the adults. We all had a great time, but I really wish we could have some entertainment to liven it up. Gee even some live Chinese string instruments in the background, keeping with the theme. Maybe as it gets cooler, brunch could extend al fresco too? The Four Seasons doesn't have a regular everyday type bar, but 5mins walk next door to the Hilton you can party on at Trader Vics or the sports bar. I will be back for sure, the food was excellent and so was the service, thank you for foie gras!

Ahmed K, Hotel Manager at Nusantao, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Many thanks for a very vivid review on your recent brunch experience at Nusantao. I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and will definitely communicate your feedback with the team

We do hope of having the opportunity of welcoming you back for another great Friday Brunch experience.