“So far... the worst Ritz-Carlton I've ever stayed.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Doha

The Ritz-Carlton, Doha
Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Doha
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“So far... the worst Ritz-Carlton I've ever stayed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've been on vacation with my in different Ritz-Carlton around the World, all excellent ... Doha should be the exception:
I sent an email to the Ritz-Carlton Management, to make them aware of the mediocrity of managing their branch in Doha, due to:

1. - Room dusty and dirty
2. - Chain toilet, always broken, both main and toilet bath
3. - No swallowing sinks in both bath and washbasin
4. - Indoor, battered for two days
5. - Access to the pier, where previously you could swim or sunbathe, closed without explanation
6. - Porcini Restaurant, took an hour before the first course serve ... and that we were going with two kids!
7. - Chaos at breakfast, waiters ineffective, delay in service, slow replenishment ... and the quality of the food is not so good than other Ritz-Carlton.
8. - Long wait at check-in
9. - Disorganization in Valet Parking, took both the first day of the following preferred park it myself
10. - Cold reception, they don't care about your children ...
11. - Rude and unpolite at Habanos Bar and QNB Bank branch
12.- There's not amenities for the children
13. - Bad and few explanations from the receptionists, regarding the bill at check-out

Definitely, this hotel it just isn't quite up to the Ritz Carlton's standards.

Room Tip: "I've been on vacation with my in different Ritz-Carlton around the World, all excellent...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AlfonsdelaO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed on the Club Floor for several days in February. Service was superb. My best hotel experience ever. Club floor staff very professional - felt like they were my extended family. Views were also great and food first rate. A really elegant hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank DobbsFerryTraveler
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Although this is a five star hotel, we were left feeling totally underwhelmed by their restaurant (so underwhelmed i can't even remember the name...the one at the top with great views...but that's where the 'greatness' stopped!)
We were there with our business colleague, but all of us felt like we'd been cheated...of a 5-star experience :(
It was everything from the ugly water glasses on the table, to the menu, the quality of the food and then the price!
However, one redeeming factor was the bar staff were excellent and attentive, and the serving staff also.
We live in Doha and so weren't staying at the hotel, just eating in their restaurant so can't comment on the rooms...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am spoiled by spending a significant chunk of my time in Ritz-Carltons on work related travel. I have stayed at more than a dozen of their properties in the US and around the world and it is great to always be able to assume a very high level of service, quality, responsiveness, and hassle free travel. So, when I was going to be at the Ritz in Doha, with all of the related opulence of that country, my expectations may have been set unfairly high.

What I experienced was a hotel that is perfectly lovely, with many wonderful amenities, excellent food quality in the various outlets and banquet catering, and the staff to guest ratio that sets Ritz apart. What I also experienced though was unusual trouble with physical plant issues and staff responsiveness that is not as thorough or polished as I know to be the norm with Ritz-Carltons.

I am left with thinking that some other reviewers are right in saying that the Ritz is just a bit "tired" and there are probably other newer properties that might be providing slightly better service and building conditions. For instance, my guest room had ongoing plumbing problems (no cold water - only scalding hot, leaking shower) and while staff was happy to take the information and have maintenance respond the problem was never fixed (I was only there 3 nights) and the burden was left on me to follow up, schedule a time for maintenance to "teach me how to use the cold water" (that killed me - I need to be taught how to turn on the faucet?!), etc... This is where I see the service levels not being up to snuff - I had to follow up w/ the staff to see if maintenance had been in the room and if the problem had been resolved, instead of the staff following up with me. When I reported the leaking problem the front desk staff wrote it down and thanked me for telling them but didn't follow that up with an apology of any kind.

On the afternoon I had a couple of hours to spend at the pool I had to set up my own chairs, get my own towels, and move/raise the umbrella myself. No staff were there at the desk or checking on me (and I was about 10 yards from their station), no one came by to inquire about ordering drinks or food, and when I returned my used towels at the end of they afternoon they looked a bit chagrined when they realized I'd not been attended to in any way. I also had trouble getting my rewards account number entered into the system at the front desk. Obviously these are not huge issues, but it is the kind of example of the nuanced difference between the staffing level I'm used to at a Ritz and what just wasn't quite fully there in Doha.

On the positive side, the food in the restaurants and during the meeting functions was really high quality. The pool is lovely, the staff are very friendly, the building is very attractive, and the guest rooms are quite spacious. The hotel is pretty far off the beaten path, but Doha isn't the kind of city you just walk around so that didn't really matter.

You certainly won't be unsafe here, and the property is very attractive (and fully staffed) but it just isn't quite up to the Ritz Carlton's standards (in my opinion) and I have a hunch that for the amount of money one spends here it is possible to have a better experience.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is one of the older hotels in Doha, but it is still a pearl. The hotel is very well maintained, the rooms are renovated and very comfortable and the staff is extremely friendly. I was impressed by the shiny marble floors in the public areas and the pool landscape. The hotel is a bit out of the center and you need a car or taxi to go to the downtown area. On the other hand, the location offers advantages, since the hotel is located on a peninsula in a park you have great views from all the rooms, which have also balconies on the city of Doha or on the ocean. I hate hotels where you only have a view on another high rise building. There is a great buffet restaurant which is open all day with a fantastic breakfast slection and a quite nice italian restaurant. The bar and restaurant on the top floor offers spectacular views of the Doha skyline.

1 Thank Batta83
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during the second week of March for business, it is really a beautiful hotel, nicely located at sea with creeks surrounding it and few meters from the new Lagoon Shopping Complex. It is a little bit far from the city center.
The rooms are good in the sense of space, amenities and sleep quality but GETTING OLD and the furniture needs replacement .
During our stay there I counted four activities running on. One medical conference for 3 days I guess , a financial meeting and a municipal campaign held there. All were served professionally and demands served smoothly as I noticed no single complaint from these masses there.
I think it is good for business travelers or persons who prefer a quite, calm vacation .

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited the Ritz-Carlton, Doha for brunch. We had an excellent meal. The choice of food was vast. All the food we had was extremely tasty. The staff went out of their way to look after us. We have no hesitation in awarding 5 stars, and if visiting Doha we would definitely go again. I find it difficult to relate our visit to some of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor. We had a great time and can highly recommend the brunch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple