Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel
Ranked #13 of 131 Hotels in Doha
“Horrific”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

45 minutes in a queue to check in. Staff shouted at, in front of everyone, by a manager. Room was tiny for the price and had a few solid stairs which I found dangerous when you've booked wither a child. Couldn't open the balcony door as it set the fire alarm off. Then got a phone call saying to open the door for the engineer (obviously couldn't ring the doorbell himself???) who was exceptionally rude and unhelpful. Pool area was full of undesirables. Rowdy, common and totally lowering the tone. Kids pool was too hot to use and the ride on toys around it were broken to the point of dangerous. Dinner in la veranda resulted in us being seated next to a flying cockroach. Yuck. How to put you off your food!
Only redeeming things were that they arranged a lovely babysitter for a few hours and there was some fruit in the room that the little one decided would do for breakfast.
If you have even an ounce of class is advise you stay well clear. May have been a 5* hotel when it first opened, far from it now!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Britindoha
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Britindoha,

thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. On the outset, I would like to apologize for what must have been a very disappointing experience which is certainly not the norm at our hotel as you can see from the many favorable reviews we receive on TripAdvisor. Judging from your password, I believe that you are residing in Doha and I would therefore appreciate it if you we could have a telephone conversation whereby we can review your experience in detail and also see what can be done to make amends for your unfavorable experience. Please contact me on either my email address or by telephone – I look forward to getting in touch with you and for now, remain,

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I knew this was an old hotel prior to booking however I just liked the look of the rooms and I liked the look of the balcony and sea view. On checking in the staff were very polite with a nice smile and I was given a sea view on a high floor and the view is very nice indeed. The room itself was spacious and I liked the design however the TV was placed to the side of the bed so when I wanted to catch a movie it was at a bit of an odd angle. The TV's need to be replaced as the one in my room was failing, they are old plasma's with a terrible picture and sound. The room service was ok the chicken burger I ordered was not so good however the Arabic Mezze was lovely. I probably will return just for the staff.

Room Tip: Sea View and high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Mark W,

thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel – we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and intend to return to visit us again soon! I was particularly delighted that the service of my team met your expectations and that you enjoyed your interactions with them – we pride ourselves of being one of the friendliest hotels in Doha and your comments seem to underline this. I have also taken note of your comment with regard to your chicken burger and we will review our recipe to ensure that we get it right from now on – my apologies for the disappointing dish. I also agree with your assessment on the quality of our television programs and am pleased to let you know that we are in the progress of installing boosters which will solve this problem. Hopefully this project will be completed by the next time you visit us! Thank you again for your review and I look forward to meeting you personally the next time you stay with us! Until then,

Moreton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have recently returned from a weeks stay at the hotel we were upgraded and stayed on the 8th floor club level. The hotel facilities are superb and the hotel is extremely child friendly as we had our 16 month old daughter with us. Couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough and we plan to return for a new year break looking forward to it!

• Stayed July 2013
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Jonathan S,

thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad that your family and you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return to be with us sometime at the end of the year – we all look very much forward to welcome you back and if there is anything we can do prior to your stay, please do let us know! Kind regards,

Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Spent a few days at the property on a recent business trip. The staff is great, property very well kept and the area is wonderful. The concierge and bell desk were especially helpful as this was my first visit to Doha. I look forward to my next stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Greg_D_In_Cali,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service of my colleagues met your expectations – this is what we aim to achieve and I am very pleased that we managed to make your stay a successful one! Please let me know when you plan to return to Doha – it will be a pleasure to meet you again and I look forward to an opportunity to meet you personally. For now, all the best and see you hopefully soon,

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I managed to secure an excellent rate for a 2 night stay and judged against the cost, I can't complain for the price.
However, as with the previous review, you can't help but think the Sheratons best days are behind it.
I understand the hotel are redeveloping in 2014 so I will wait before my next stay here.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel - service good, rooms have balcony with sea view, breakfast very good and charming beach/garden area but in comparison with other 5 star establishments in Doha, there is better.
I look forward to seeing the redevelopment next year which is when I will book my next stay.

• Stayed June 2013
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Hutchinson,

thank you for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the services and facilities were up to your expectations. And yes, you are correct, we are planning a full renovation of our hotel in the coming year and while we have not yet decided on a fixed date, I can assure you that by the time the renovation has been completed, our hotel will once again set the standards in Doha – and we of course look very much forward to welcome you back! Please feel free to keep in touch with me in case you would like to learn more about the renovation or if I can assist you with your next reservation at our hotel. For now, I remain with kind regards,

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was THE first Class Hotel in Qatar. In the beginning the Hotel started under german management. (GMgr. G. Foltin).

The Hotel reached its Peak Class by the Motives of his General Manager. He already was on the Spot during the Period of construction.

The Dining / Kitchen, Bars, Spa's are recommended. I have rarely eaten so well as in the Roof Top Restaurant.

As the Hotel is very centrally located, it offers itself as a starting Point for many Activities. Hotel - Airport aprox. 25min. I only know it from my Business Trips to Qatar; and miss it.

In the Meantime perhaps other modern Hotels in Qatar are a little bit more efficient, but wont have the Flair. (Every Sheikh, important Ruler aso. have ones Floors in this Hotel.) find it out!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed there for one night the location is really smart very close to the business offices and the shopping mal (city center) facilities are good a huge swimming pool and jacuzi but rooms are really old and need renovation ** urgent **
Service and staff are too good, prices are acceptable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Peter E,

thank you for the review on TripAdvisor. I truly appreciate you took the time to let us know about your experience and we are very happy to hear that it was overall a good one. You will be pleased to know that we are planning a major hotel renovation in 2014 and that the rooms, public areas and our resort will all be changed. Please let me know if you would like to receive updates on these renovation plans. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return.