“Good rooms and friendly staff”

Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel
Ranked #6 of 133 Hotels in Doha
The Netherlands
“Good rooms and friendly staff”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited during conference. Hotel quality good if a little outdated. Rooms large with some steps leading to sitting area with desk. At least one delegate fell off those steps during his stay and suffered some injuries. Nice balcony. Shower and bathroom good. Beds comfortable. Airco needed a mecanic to get it working but was ok after that. Hotel has several restaurants but as they all seem to allow smoking I did not find them attractive. Room lock malfunctioned one day and had to wait 45 minutes before it was fixed and I could use my room again. Reception staff more than helpful. Very nice beach and pool area. All in all good but not spectacular. Club lounge is definitely below par. Not open for Breakfast and seating quality basic. Breakfast ok but with smoking guests all over ( the limited non smoking section was full) not pleasant. Turn down servce was forgotten twice, shoes were not polished and had to ask for replacement towels twice. Hence the quality of the housekeeping staff leaves a lot to be desired

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Dutch 1505,

thank you very much for staying at our hotel and for sharing your views on TripAdvisor – we very much appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review of our hotel. I was sorry to learn that one of your colleagues suffered from injuries caused by a fall in his hotel room. I have checked with our Duty managers and our hotel nurse, but we have not been informed about this incident. If you could, please advise me of the contact details of your colleagues in order for me to inquire about his convalescence. This is actually the first time that I hear of such an incident and if you review the comments about our guestrooms on TripAdvisor, you will find that the majority of guests who comment on the guestrooms like the fact that the room is on two levels. I am also sorry that your air-conditioning was not working properly and that our Housekeeping service was not up to standard – we will review your comments internally in order to ensure that incidents of this nature do not recur again in the future. As far as your problem with the door lock is concerned, this matter has been brought to the attention of the supplier of the door locks as this was an external problem, which has now been resolved – again, please accept my apology for this incident. I do hope that despite the disappointments you experienced during your stay with us, you will consider our hotel again when your travel plans bring you back to Doha. Please contact me prior to your arrival on the email address listed below in order for me to ensure personally that your next stay will be a pleasant one. Until we can welcome you back to our hotel again, I remain with kind regards, tot ziens,

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doha
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

To start the Sheraton - Doha has, what is most likely, the most beautiful grounds of any hotel in Doha. Not surprising as they are one of the first big name hotels to establish in the State. On the grounds they have a nice little place called the Cove which is situated on a private lagoon, built on a wooden deck over the beach. Really nice because it is a wooden deck and not marble and glass like most of the establishments in Doha. Great place to have a drink and wind down. However, I would suggest that for any dining experience you chose another local. To start the menu is very limited. In this case I ordered the T-bone steak and it was possibly the worst steak I have had the displeasure of trying to consume in my life. The staff, who are very nice and attentive, immediately had another served up in short order. This was just as bad as the first and to make sure I was just not being a fussy expat, I ask my wife to try it. After finally being able to saw a piece off the t-bone she confirmed that the piece of meat was in fact not suitable for human consumption. So I left my 180 QR steak on the plate and we quickly departed. I did ask where the, for lack of a better term, meat came from. I was informed the USA. As a Canadian,who is quite familiar with Canadian and USA beef, I have a hard time believing this. I believe the staff is told that this "meat" is from the USA. I pity them when a Texan or an Albertan try's to saw his way through and is informed that it is North American Beef.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 15, 2013

If not the oldest hotel in Doha, it can still compete with the best.
I stayed in the hotel because of a convention.
From the moment you walk into the Hotel until check out you are surrounded by extremely nice staff who are there just to please the customer. In a very natural way and not too obvious, staff are there the moment you need them.
The rooms and bathrooms including the shower are of good quality. The meeting facilities are fantastic. The catering at all locations is of a high standard.
Thank you Sheraton and crew for looking after me. The convention was a great success.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea, beach and pool view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Thijm,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you particularly were impressed with the service of my colleagues. As you rightfully mention, our hotel is not the newest hotel in Doha and hence, we cannot compete with the amount of marble and glass you will find in some of the newer properties, but we certainly want to compete with the level of service we offer to our guests, as we believe that our training and attention to detail is better than in many other newer hotels. We look forward to welcome you back in Doha soon and if there is anything I can assist you with in the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know. Tot ziens,

New Jersey
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Not sure where some of the other reviewers stayed, but I had a very pleasant experience. Good location, helpful staff especially the hostess at the restaurant. She was great! Nice bars and restaurants. Room needed updating but was at least clean. They need to fix the lights, you either had to have them all on or none. Very nice pool area.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea are preferred.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear WirePaladin,

thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were particularly impressed with the service of my colleagues and the food and beverage offerings at our hotel. I have also taken note of your comments with regard to the light switches in the guestrooms and we are working presently on finding a solution to the problem with the switches and I am positive that the problem will be rectified in due cause. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon and in the meantime, remain with kind regards,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel is located on the northeastern corner of Corniche. Attractions and typical business locations can be reached by car within 15 minutes, airport within 20 minutes.
The hotel has the shape of a pyramid and is still one of the iconic buildings on Doha Corniche.
The check-in was made quickly and professionally including a welcome drink. Rooms offer enough space and are well equipped with 2 TV, a wonderful bed, a working desk, a cozy seat corner, tea/coffee maker and all rooms offer a balcony. Ironing boards are available upon request. The marble bathrooms offer both buth tub and shower.
A very well equipped gym is located in a neighboring building.
Cleanliness was perfect in the room as well as in public areas. Service was delivered very friendly without mistakes.
The Sheraton offers a good range of quality restaurants. Options for entertainment in the evening are the Irish Harp and the Waterhole nightclub. Both offer different types of music and entertainment options.
One of the highlights is the hotel garden that is like a paradise. A wonderful place to relax after a busy day. There is also a small beach with view to Doha bay.
Conclusion: The Sheraton Doha is not new but in very good shape. The central location, the quality of rooms and the perfect service make it a clear recommendation for a business trip. I would love to come back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher floor facing southerly direction offer a great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank zf34bu8q
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear zf34bu8q,

thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel – I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to sample some of our food and beverage venues and appreciated the offerings. You are right, the Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel is certainly not the newest hotel in Doha, but we still believe that we can make a difference with our service, our facilities and particular our associates, who look after our guests better than most other hotels in Doha do. So, thank you again for recognizing our hotel as one of the best in Doha! I look forward to welcome you back in Doha again soon and if there is anything I can assist you with in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the email address listed below.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had a good time in Waterhole pub. Average drink costs about QAR40 which is quite expensive. Nice place to hangout with friends on a weekend as other clubs allow only couples on thursday night.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 21, 2013

They maintain the interior really well even after so many years....still one of the best hotels in Doha